Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby cas » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:59 pm

Adding a dug doesn't bother me, but the way it seems to draw attention to itself does. Well, the way most of these changes call attention to themselves is what bothers me. Why not add broken battle droids in various places, like the jawa sandcrawler or something? That actually makes sense, right? Why not be subtle? :roll:
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:21 pm

Apparently, extra CGI sparks have been added to the cloud city furnace C3PO is headed for in ESB. Because extra sparks was something fans have been asking for for years... :roll: They have time/energy/money for dugs and sparks and ewok eyelids but not colour correction of lightsabers (and scenes throughout the saga generally) or removal of matte lines around ships or correcting magically appearing TIE fighters or the host of other noticeable glitches that actually need fixing...
Blacknight

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:56 pm

Don't forget the dough blown on Jabba's jumbo door. I think they could've squeezed a rancor in the old one.
It's going to look pretty silly watching Luke walk in through the now narrow hallway after seeing that ginormous door.
buriedbybricks

Postby StoutFiles » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:08 am

dWhisper wrote:It's all about money. Nothing more.

Mostly. Lucas thinks that his changes are making the movies better, and all the "yes men" around him agree in fear. He also must think that kids watching the OT need more special effects, or else it will be seen as some old, boring movie. Gotta get the new generation of kids hooked and buying the merchandise, right? "Let's add things we think the kids will like, and let's fix just enough things to try and trick the established fans. Then we'll fix more things in a future release so they'll buy that too."

As for the unforgivable scream, that's Lucas spouting his "they're like poetry, they rhyme" crap. He wants Episode III to match up with VI, even though it can't because Anakin and Luke have NOTHING in common and the situations they are in are in no way similar. He has to know the fans hate that scream, but just like "Han shot first", he acknowledges the fans are angry and doesn't care, because he wants the scene to be that way.

All in all, I wouldn't care if he made these changes if he'd just release a high quality version of the OT first. The reason he won't is because he wants everyone to have to accept his changes. I imagine him jumping up and down like a angry troll, screaming "You can't ignore me! You have to watch my improvements!" Independent companies have offered to transfer the orginal film since Lucas deems it too expensive as a non-profit gesture, but he won't let them. Maybe when he dies we'll get the OT and not this crap.
StoutFiles

Postby that guy » Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 pm

On a serious note, does anyone know if they've removed the tennis shoe (Addidas?) that was put into the ROTJ final battle scene in this most recent update?
that guy

Postby fallenangel327 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:48 am

that guy wrote:On a serious note, does anyone know if they've removed the tennis shoe (Addidas?) that was put into the ROTJ final battle scene in this most recent update?

You've seen it? When does it appear?
fallenangel327

Postby elijah » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:08 pm

I will Be waiting for it to come out on three d that is after the Cinema release of it.
The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/elijahtheencyclopedia/
elijah

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:10 pm

I think I might go burn George Lucas' house down.

Or I'll just watch the movies with my children, likely not even notice the minor changes, and introduce a new generation to a great story.

I hope I never have fans like his. Actually, scratch that. If I did I would do exactly what he is doing because it is kind of amusing to watch people bicker about all the little things that just don't matter. It's just a story people, a story that the author feels like tweaking a little bit every once in a while. XD
MisterFubar

Postby Flynn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:54 pm

It matters when the changes are either pointless, distracting, or overall detrimental to the quality of the films, and when he outright refuses to let the originals even be transferred to a decent quality.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby StoutFiles » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:07 pm

MisterFubar wrote:I think I might go burn George Lucas' house down.
It's just a story people, a story that the author feels like tweaking a little bit every once in a while. XD

Translation: "Star Wars doesn't mean that much to me, so I don't care if he changes it." It's a classic defense, and has no effect on anyone who cares about history.

Is there any classic movie, literature, art, etc. that you do care about? How would you feel if something you truly cared about got edited to death and the original copy was destroyed? Would you care? It's like saying "Well, I don't care if the Mona Lisa gets repainted to be a hot blonde because she will look better now. It's just a painting people, we can tweak it once in a while." How about I go back and edit in some new lines for Casablanca? "Here's looking at you, kid. Wait, don't get on that plane! NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!" It's ok, I just tweaked it a bit!

And just to be clear, Lucas is not the author of everything Star Wars. He had an idea, and was the main component of getting it off the ground, but everything in the SW universe is NOT George Lucas. He was on the set for one film, he didn't build models, he didn't put in sound effects, he didn't act, he didn't design characters, etc. Legally he can edit the films, but if I somehow was legally able to paint over the Mona Lisa doesn't mean I should.
StoutFiles

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:31 pm

I do care a lot about Star Wars, I just don't let myself get all worked up over some minor changes. I think people have the right to do whatever they want with thier property, and like it or not, those works of fiction are George's property. There are a lot more important things in the real world for me to get worked up and upset about.

...and for the record, I've always wanted to paint a pencil thin mustache on the Mona Lisa.
MisterFubar

Postby Flynn » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I think the main thing I'm concerned about is how the original versions of the trilogies aren't being remastered and made available to the highest quality. It's an issue of film preservation, best defended by this speech on colourization made in the 80's:

I am a writer, director, and producer of motion pictures and Chairman of the Board of a multi-faceted entertainment corporation.
I am not here today as a writer-director, or as a producer, or as the chairman of a corporation. I've come as a citizen of what I believe to be a great society that is in need of a moral anchor to help define and protect its intellectual and cultural heritage. It is not being protected.
The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg. American law does not protect our painters, sculptors, recording artists, authors, or filmmakers from having their lifework distorted, and their reputation ruined. If something is not done now to clearly state the moral rights of artists, current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.
A copyright is held in trust by its owner until it ultimately reverts to public domain. American works of art belong to the American public; they are part of our cultural history.
People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians, and if the laws of the United States continue to condone this behavior, history will surely classify us as a barbaric society. The preservation of our cultural heritage may not seem to be as politically sensitive an issue as "when life begins" or "when it should be appropriately terminated," but it is important because it goes to the heart of what sets mankind apart. Creative expression is at the core of our humanness. Art is a distinctly human endeavor. We must have respect for it if we are to have any respect for the human race.
These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tommorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with "fresher faces," or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor's lips to match. It will soon be possible to create a new "original" negative with whatever changes or alterations the copyright holder of the moment desires. The copyright holders, so far, have not been completely diligent in preserving the original negatives of films they control. In order to reconstruct old negatives, many archivists have had to go to Eastern bloc countries where American films have been better preserved.
In the future it will become even easier for old negatives to become lost and be "replaced" by new altered negatives. This would be a great loss to our society. Our cultural history must not be allowed to be rewritten.
There is nothing to stop American films, records, books, and paintings from being sold to a foreign entity or egotistical gangsters and having them change our cultural heritage to suit their personal taste.
I accuse the companies and groups, who say that American law is sufficient, of misleading the Congress and the People for their own economic self-interest.
I accuse the corporations, who oppose the moral rights of the artist, of being dishonest and insensitive to American cultural heritage and of being interested only in their quarterly bottom line, and not in the long-term interest of the Nation.
The public's interest is ultimately dominant over all other interests. And the proof of that is that even a copyright law only permits the creators and their estate a limited amount of time to enjoy the economic fruits of that work.
There are those who say American law is sufficient. That's an outrage! It's not sufficient! If it were sufficient, why would I be here? Why would John Houston have been so studiously ignored when he protested the colorization of "The Maltese Falcon?" Why are films cut up and butchered?
Attention should be paid to this question of our soul, and not simply to accounting procedures. Attention should be paid to the interest of those who are yet unborn, who should be able to see this generation as it saw itself, and the past generation as it saw itself.
I hope you have the courage to lead America in acknowledging the importance of American art to the human race, and accord the proper protection for the creators of that art--as it is accorded them in much of the rest of the world communities."

Yes, as George Lucas so eloquently put it----wait, George Lucas wrote that?!
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Blacknight » Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:02 am

If Lucas wants us to get as excited and passionate about Star Wars that we're willing to spend over $100 for yet another copy of the same film we already care about, then it's only completely logical that we'd get excited and passionate about him not changing the basic story of the film we used to care about. Most of his prior changes were just visual and didn't change the actual script, but the Han Shoots First, Luke Scream and Vader Nooooo all change the actual events of the story and that's crossing a revisionist line that should not be crossed so long as we lack a cleaned up bluray transfer of the original versions and original story.

I don't know guys, for the above reason this latest change has really soured me on Star Wars. I was already feeling down on SW since the Clone Wars series has been going downhill story wise what with all the Darth Maul's brother and Mortis Gods of the Force garbage. I've been collecting SW Lego since the very beginning and I'm even anal enough that I try to seek out nice boxes. In the mail the other day I just got a USC Imperial shuttle and the box wasn't in the best condition... in years past I would've been a bit bothered but now I just shrugged, because if Lucas can't be bothered to treat his own films with the care they deserve in terms of an upgraded transfer that preserves the original story, and also can't be bothered to treat his own universe with the care it deserves in terms of maintaining continuity and not messing up the backstory, then why should I care that much about SW merchandise either.... it's just starting to lose its inherent value in my mind. It's probably healthy not to worry about the condition of a box, but on the other hand it's unfortunate for the joy of SW to die inside me to the point where I now look on a new giant set as just another Lego set, just another random toy... and maybe many sets aren't worth getting anymore just because they say SW (or even Lego) on the box.

Encouraging this kind of thinking among collectors is Lucas' merchandising nightmare but he's too dense to realize that he's slowly killing his golden goose. At a certain point we might as well be collecting He-Man Lego for all the quality left in the SW brand name anymore.
Blacknight

Postby that guy » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:10 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:
that guy wrote:On a serious note, does anyone know if they've removed the tennis shoe (Addidas?) that was put into the ROTJ final battle scene in this most recent update?

You've seen it? When does it appear?

Apparently I didn't realize it was removed in 97' but I found this excerpt on furiousfanboys.com. For me it was never about actually seeing the shoe, it was knowing it was there that gave me a quiet chuckle every time I watched it.

One of the most famous legends about Star Wars is the presence of a tennis shoe in Return of the Jedi. While this was apparently fixed in the 1997 Special Edition; they did actually exist in the original version; although they are close to impossible to see. A 2003 issue of Star Wars Insider Magazine delved into this legend, and this is what they had to say complete with quotes from the effects artists who did it:

To the untrained eye, one on-screen ship from RETURN OF THE JEDI might look less like the Millennium Falcon that something far more ordinary – a tennis shoe – but it played its part in arguably the greatest space battle ever filmed. The pitched warfare over Endor was the most demanding assignment George Lucas had presented to the artist at Industrial Light & Magic up to that time, and it remains the standard by which all others must be measured. That a flying tennis shoe could remain unseen amid the tumult and chaos of some 50 ships careening into combat is a testament to the acheivement of former ILM effects virtuoso Ken Ralston, who supervised the sequence…..

…..Which brings us back to Ralston’s tennis shoe – among other things – and the fact that it’s an amazing accomplishment just to see how many ships there are buzzing around the moon of Endor, or how many ships there seems to be. “I was always trying to stick stuff into shots,” Ralston laughs. “JEDI has my tennis shoes and also a yogurt container as part of the ships in the background! Who would know? It’s like there’s all this stuff going on – and I thought, ‘Hey, it’d be fun.’ It was my way of just saying, ‘See what you can get away with?’ Some people noodle this stuff so much, fretting about it, but it’s like, you know, you can’t tell what this stuff is – just stick it out there!”
that guy

Postby elijah » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:45 pm

Lucas Needs to get over Star Wars he spends all his time on it, I mean make some other movie soon just to do it and get your mind of Star wars and the tench run. Dude i mean come on OVER 30 YEARS SINCE YOU MADE THE FIRST ONE!!!!!!!!!
GET OVER IT!!!!!

elijah
The walking Encyclopedia and geek. My flicker is at this http://www.flickr.com/photos/elijahtheencyclopedia/
elijah

Postby Flynn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:17 pm

Hm. Well, this is interesting.

Sarah wrote: Then they very politely asked why he wouldn’t make the original versions of the movies available on DVD/Blu-Ray. They stressed that they don’t mind the retroactive edits (doubtful, but they were being nice), they just wanted good digital copies of the original cuts, too.

Lucas’s response? An eyeroll and a huffy, “Grow up. These are my movies, not yours.”

:S

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby cas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:02 pm

Ehh, I think I want an additional source for that quote. Not to say it isn't possible, but biased blogger is biased. It is true, however, they are Mr. Lucas's films, he's only been so gracious as to let us view them and I thank him for the opportunity he has continued to provide. I've benefited with a great many hours of entertainment.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby StoutFiles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:42 pm

cas wrote:Ehh, I think I want an additional source for that quote. Not to say it isn't possible, but biased blogger is biased. It is true, however, they are Mr. Lucas's films, he's only been so gracious as to let us view them and I thank him for the opportunity he has continued to provide. I've benefited with a great many hours of entertainment.

Episode IV is his film, as in his direction. V and VI are not.

How arrogant he is though. While an author or a painter might work alone, Lucas collaborated with so many people on these movies that to take credit for everything is just asinine. For example, Ben Burt's sound effects made A New Hope. Could Lucas have done the same? Of course not, not by himself. Yeah, he owns it all legally, but to have the nerve to claim they're his movies and he can change the work of other directors, of crews that painstakingly built models and put in special effects, of movies he wasn't on the set for, it's just sickening. Especially when the guy claimed to care about preserving old films.

Whatever George. Keep on killing the films with new dialogue and pointless CGI. I'll just have to outlive you, and when you're dead the "yes men" will go away and we'll all get a true HD, unaltered OT trilogy.
StoutFiles

Postby cas » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:12 pm

Well, it comes back to the old money argument. He has the money. He hired the directors of Episodes V and VI to do a specific job. Their job was not to create art as they imagined or saw fit, their job was to create what he saw. The directors signed their contracts, did their jobs, and moved on. Same with everyone else, cast, crew or otherwise. Each of them was hired to do a specific job to create the product Lucas wanted created. If he could have accomplished it on his own, he would've done it on his own. This is a huge reason why the Prequels suffered. He tried to do to much on his own, writing and directing. He isn't someone who appreciates the input of others, or the interference rather.

StoutFiles wrote:I'll just have to outlive you, and when you're dead the "yes men" will go away and we'll all get a true HD, unaltered OT trilogy.

There is another. Clearly, given the input his children have had on the prequels, the Clone Wars cartoon, and the merchandise, he's grooming them to take over when he's gone.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:40 pm

So, clearly, our next move is to kidnap his children and raise them indoctrinated in the ways of the unaltered OT so that the release may finally see the light of day.

I'm down for this, who's with me?

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars