Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby Blacknight » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:39 am

Check out the hideous case art for this set: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/31409 ... -on-report

Gotta love Geriatric (radiation burn?) Han Solo visits the Ewoks, not to mention Smiling Maul, Thumbs-up Palpatine and Joker Leia in the group shot.
Blacknight

Postby StoutFiles » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:17 pm

Wow. Just...wow.
StoutFiles

Postby cas » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm

It's a good thing I'm not buying this for the packaging. They have so much content to draw from and that's the direction they go. Whoever approved that for production needs to be fired yesterday, or several years ago, depending on your point of view.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Heh I doubt that's gonna happen because it seems Lucas' daughter Katie Lucas helped select some (or all?) of them. Can'tcha tell? :lol:

This was what she tweeted in May:

KRLgrrl Katie Lucas
Fun fact: I helped pick out the box art for the blu ray! YOU'RE WELCOME.
4 May

KRLgrrl Katie Lucas@Zack_Parks @VideoETA
haters gonna hate. And then haters are going to buy the bluray set and keep complaining.
4 May

KRLgrrl Katie Lucas@Zack_Parks @VideoETA
its actually really beautiful up close. And its supposed to be rough. Its concept art.
4 May

KRLgrrl Katie Lucas@john__doyle
Oh, I have no idea about bluray details. I just saw the cover art and said 'ooh thats pretty'
4 May
Blacknight

Postby Joedward » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:29 am

The art for Bonus Disk 1 actually gave me a bit of a laugh, and Empire and Jedi look fairly decent. Most everything else lies somewhere between meh and this is garbage.

Anyhow, I don't even have a blu-ray player, so I'm not all too bothered at the moment. I'm sure my time will come though.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby StoutFiles » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:35 am

Am I hallucinating? What is this?
:facepalm:
StoutFiles

Postby Solo » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:31 am

I don't know what that's supposed to be, but this is what came to my mind when I saw it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:30 pm

Teaser/Concept art for Episode VII?
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:56 am

Somebody said on another forum it's fantasy art commissioned for some Star Wars Visions book or something (which from what I gather is sort of like the old Star Wars Galaxy cards - a bunch of random/famous artists got together, got high on their substance of choice, watched Star Wars, and then drew some stuff). Whatever it is, IMHO it ain't Star Wars. Maybe Droids, but not Star Wars.
Blacknight

Postby Blacknight » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:48 am

For those who haven't heard about the latest unconfirmed bombshell: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-War ... 26504.html
Blacknight

Postby StoutFiles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:56 am

Blacknight wrote:For those who haven't heard about the latest unconfirmed bombshell: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-War ... 26504.html

I refuse to believe it. This is insane.
StoutFiles

Postby Harmonica » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:00 am

If that's true, let me respond by saying:

No. NOOOOooooOOOOoooOOO!

Seriously, I don't really give a gorram about his other changes, but this is just wrong. Lucas can do what he wants, but I think he made a big mistake here. I mean, to me that scene is a classic, and hearing him say that is just jarring. And, IMHO, him being silent just works better. (Not that I was planning on buying the Blu-rays, anyway.)
Harmonica

Postby StoutFiles » Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:18 am

There's another change that got unnoticed by many sites...when Ben scares the Tusken Raiders, they added in a Krayt Dragon call. God it's awful...can be viewed here.

http://www.thereelbits.com/2011/08/31/d ... star-wars/
StoutFiles

Postby cas » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:11 am

:facepalm: x

Please let this be a sick joke.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:37 am

Harmonica wrote:If that's true, let me respond by saying:

Search your feelings - you know it to be true. ;) It's just too obscene of a change for any prankster to invent on their own. Take the worst moment from the end of the prequel trilogy and use it to also ruin the end of the original trilogy. Classic post-1995 George Lucas.

Every time I hear that new scream I start laughing. Oh god it's awful. :x And I'm sure Don Solo will love the fact that in that same scene with the tusken raiders examining the landspeeder, they've now entombed R2-D2 in a rock cave he could never actually fit into, and then moments later, the same new CGI rocks are gone.

Meanwhile, none of the actual glitches that needed to be fixed, were.

Again, this is all assuming the leaked blu-rays are legit. But come on, this is Lucasfilm, of course they are.
Blacknight

Postby Inzane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:33 am

Blacknight wrote:For those who haven't heard about the latest unconfirmed bombshell: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-War ... 26504.html

To quote Ari Gold... "Put a gun in your mouth, and make sure I'm standing behind you."
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Wed Aug 31, 2011 12:36 pm

It's confirmed now by several reviewers:

Topless Robot's Changes Article #1

I think I've made an "official" decision when it comes to Star Wars. Much like old cartoons from my childhood, things like Voltron, Thundercats, Transformers, etc, I prefer to remember my memory of them than to go back and try to relive them. It's not possible, and it only serves to damage my memories. I can barely look at Transformers with all the abuse they've gotten at the hands of Michael Bay, and yet, in the grand scheme, what he's done isn't anywhere near what Lucas keeps doing.

Instead, I choose to remember the memory. I choose to remember how much I loved them as a kid. I might even choose to hang on to my first nerd-rage memories of how they changed the end song of Jedi back when I was in high school. Or the I'm too numb to rage over sticking whiny little Anakin into the re-re-re-re-re-release of the movies of DVD. I choose to remember the joy of my first toys, pretending that wrapping paper tubes were lightsabers as a kid, and finding Star Wars LEGO as an adult.

Because I certainly can't take enjoyment out of them anymore. I wasn't interested in the Blu-Ray version of the movie, to be honest. I hate my PS3 anyway, and tend to only buy BRD when they also include the DVD and a digital copy. But I've already bought these movies 3 times as an adult, and each time, it's like getting molested by Uncle George just a little bit more.

I know that he says he couldn't "realize his initial vision" in the original movies, but I'm calling complete **bleep** on that. You only have to go look at the awful initial treatment or watch the first movie to realize he basically just made it up as he went. It's plainly obvious, especially when you see the script and see that Darth Vader wasn't a title, it was actually the guy's name (writted as D. Vader... you know, like it was a towel or something).

But he realized he could turn it into his own personal money machine, and has been milking it for all its worth since then. Lucas is a hack, and we all know it. In his life, he's had one big idea, and has been trying to milk it for decades because he obviously doesn't have any other good ideas (and you only need to watch the PT to see that there was not a single good idea in the whole thing).

I'm not going to say I'm done with Star Wars, because I obviously buy things like LEGO, but I am certainly done with buying increasingly bastardized versions of the film. I'm going to remember how I used to like them, nyub-nybu song and all.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:38 pm

You had me everywhere, except here:

dWhisper wrote:I hate my PS3 anyway, and tend to only buy BRD when they also include the DVD and a digital copy.

How can you not like your PS3? :shock:

It is a fantastic machine. I like mine so much I plan on buying a 2nd one soon for another room in the house. (subject to wife approval of course)

It's still one of the top rated blu-ray players for anywhere near its price range. And, it has a whole slew of kickarse games!!!
Inzane

Postby Blacknight » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:15 am

Yeah like most people I can only play blu-rays thanks to having a PS3, though I didn't buy it for that, I bought it for the games. I imagine that people who don't play games are struggling to see the need for buying a standalone bluray player, and terrible releases like this Star Wars set aren't helping further the Blu cause.

Regarding the PS3 itself, it's a good system, just not as good as the PS2 IMHO in terms of either outer aesthetic design (it looks like a kitchen appliance) or games (so far). I do have two PS3s as well, I managed to get an old one cheap on ebay that could play PS2 games, and having another hooked up to a second monitor lets me play two player games with someone else in the same room. The only issues I've really had with the PS3 are that it tends to freeze up sometimes requiring a reboot (esp. on Playstation Home), and for awhile my downloaded games kept getting corrupted and wouldn't install even though things downloaded fine on my Xbox/PC. Overall it's a quality product though I think Xbox still narrowly wins this generation thanks to its better graphics card allowing for better versions of multiplatform games, despite the whole red ring of death fiasco.

Anyway, it's put up or shut up time for Star Wars fans. People who still go ahead and buy the OT release are voting that they are OK with these changes not to mention a disappointing transfer. Again, this week's revelations solidify my mind that I'm just getting the PT set, later, when it's on sale. I don't even care about the behind the scenes extras anymore because I don't want to have to see or hear anyone at Lucasfilm who was responsible for this release. All the yes-men still working there are willing participants in this desecration.

I'll end on this hypocritical quote from the man himself: "The destruction of our film heritage, which is the focus of concern today, is only the tip of the iceberg… current and future technologies will alter, mutilate, and destroy for future generations the subtle human truths and highest human feeling that talented individuals within our society have created.... People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians.... These current defacements are just the beginning. Today, engineers with their computers can add color to black-and-white movies, change the soundtrack, speed up the pace, and add or subtract material to the philosophical tastes of the copyright holder. Tomorrow, more advanced technology will be able to replace actors with fresher faces, or alter dialogue and change the movement of the actor’s lips to match." George Lucas presenting to US congress, 1988
Blacknight

Postby dWhisper » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:33 am

Mostly because Blu-Ray simply isn't worth it over DVD most of the time, the gaming experience is vastly inferior to the 360 overall (especially in multiplayer, which is mainly what I do), and because Sony is just simply evil. But I'm not turning this into a fight over consoles, just stating my opinion as an owner of multiple platforms.

A friend of mine did figure out that, in fact, Lucas is only now able to realize his vision on the movies. It just turns out, the only vision he's ever had is to make money.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars