Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby Staff » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:01 am

Amazon.com recently posted Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Episodes I-VI) [Blu-ray] for pre-order. If you've never ordered DVDs from Amazon, they have a pre-order price guarantee. If anytime between now and when the movie ships, the price drops, you will be guaranteed the lowest price no matter when you ordered. It's currently listed $89.99, down from the list price of $139.99. It is scheduled to be released this September.

One can only hope Lucasfilm will include the original theatrical releases as a bonus or easter egg. If not, this will be, like, the 19th time the films will be altered beyond recognition as Lucas tends to do enhancements with every release.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2011/01/08/star-war ... pre-order/
Staff

Re: Star Wars On Blu-Ray Up For Pre-order

Postby MisterFubar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:50 am

I think this is going to be another year where George Lucas gets just as big of a share of my paycheck as Uncle Sam. ;)
MisterFubar

Postby Inzane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:43 pm

No "original" non-molested versions of Ep IV-VI to be included. >8(

Lucas scr3ws his loyal fanbase once again.
Inzane

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:54 pm

Since this appears to be a definitive collection, I am afraid what other alterations have been made to the films.

I really hope they at least fixed all the problems with the DVD. If Vader's lightsaber is still pink, I don't know what I'm going to do.

EDIT: I just watched the Blu Ray trailer, looks like they have done some cleaning up after the DVD release. Tempting, though it was sickening to see the prequels intercut with the OT. ;)
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby that guy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:45 pm

I think in this version Chewie shoots first. :facepalm:
that guy

Postby Blacknight » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:13 pm

The fact it took like two days for people to start talking about this here indicates to me that interest in this release is not at the level it once might have been. Have we finally started to get sick of the Star Wars films? Sure, they'll now be in glorious HD, but after you've seen the same movie as many times as we have, I doubt HD will really do much to make them feel "fresh" again. Most of us could probably play back all the movies in our minds from memory, and our minds already fill in the HD details.

For me, the biggest issue is the price they're asking for movies that all of us probably already have on DVD. In my case, $180 Canadian MSRP (when our dollar is at parity with the US dollar) is outrageous - though I suspect it will not be hard to find cheaper.
Blacknight

Postby anakinisvader » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:19 pm

I'm waiting for the 3D version so I can really see how bad Jar Jar is up close and realistic. :x
anakinisvader

Postby meeotch » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Blacknight wrote:The fact it took like two days for people to start talking about this here indicates to me that interest in this release is not at the level it once might have been.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I know that for me, there just isn't too much that's even worth talking about, since 1) I all ready own all of the movies on DVD; 2) I don't own a Blu-Ray player; 3) I'm poor and thus won't be making any redundant discressionary purchases anytime soon; 4) there hasn't been much info about what types of special features will be included or changes might be made to the films; and 5) they aren't being released for 9 months means that this topic is a bit of a nonstarter at the moment.

It seems that the reason that this is up is since there is actually a link up for preorder, the staff figure (and I fully agree, btw) that if you're going to preorder it, FBTB might as well get their nickel out of it, and the only way for that to happen is for you to click their link. That's also why it's stickied at the top. However, this doesn't mean there's much to actually talk about yet.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Inzane » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:40 pm

Blacknight wrote:The fact it took like two days for people to start talking about this here indicates to me that interest in this release is not at the level it once might have been. Have we finally started to get sick of the Star Wars films?

No, I'm not sick of the SW films.

But I'm not excited about this release for a few reasons:

1) Lucas himself has already stated that he's not releasing the original versions of the OT. That alone kills it for me.
2) I already own his bastardized special editions on DVD. Why would I pay that man money again to buy the version I don't want?
3) I already own the three PT movies on DVD. They are turds, mostly. I see no reason at all to buy them again to add to my newly started blu-ray collection.

PS - btw, DVDs "upconverted" (e.g. to 1080i) are already quite nice to watch.
Inzane

Postby theone » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:31 am

i personally can't wait when blu-ray got big there was 2 films i wanted to see in lord of the rings [check] and star wars [now also check] this all equalls XD
theone

Postby avsteve » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:50 am

I don't know yet, but if they fixed Yoda from Episode 1, I am in. My originalyy trilogy moveis are form the Days of VHS, and they have been played so much that I am having to play out more of it in my head. But on to more important matters, will they ever make new movies? like perhaps the Thrawn Trilogy...
avsteve

Postby Inzane » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:26 pm

avsteve wrote:But on to more important matters, will they ever make new movies? like perhaps the Thrawn Trilogy...

It would've been nice but that ship has sailed. Who wants to see our classic OT heroes re-cast? Ugh. :(

The should have made those movies shortly after the books came out. The original actors mostly would've been at an acceptible age for "a few years after ep VI" at that time. (although Carrie Fisher was already a train wreck by then).
Inzane

Postby avsteve » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:43 pm

Inzane wrote:
avsteve wrote:But on to more important matters, will they ever make new movies? like perhaps the Thrawn Trilogy...

It would've been nice but that ship has sailed. Who wants to see our classic OT heroes re-cast? Ugh. :(

The should have made those movies shortly after the books came out. The original actors mostly would've been at an acceptible age for "a few years after ep VI" at that time. (although Carrie Fisher was already a train wreck by then).

I don't know, As meany times as i've seen it, thye still look diffrent in my mind that on the screen, so i really wouldn't mind seeign a new actor take on the role. This may be hearsy, but think of all the Bond movies... they keep on chugging along, and theres alwayssomeone new to take the role.
Or they could just shoot them in Lego, they never age...
avsteve

Postby that guy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:56 pm

avsteve wrote:Or they could just shoot them in Lego, they never age...

They may not age but both versions of Carrie Fisher would still look the same.... :O

Although in her defense, she actually looked decent for her age in Sorority Row.
that guy

Postby deco_droid » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:06 pm

really, discussing this is sort of pointless until we actually know what form the movies will be in (new changes, etc.) as well as what extra goodies will be included on the bonus discs. i find it funny when people say stuff like, "ol' george won't be getting any of MY money!" when they don't even know what the product is for sure...

oh yah, and what is with all the hotlinks lately anyway? did harry knowles buy this site or something?
deco_droid

Postby Chief » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:16 am

deco_droid wrote:oh yah, and what is with all the hotlinks lately anyway? did harry knowles buy this site or something?

Oh come on, we're not that bad. Every article on that AICN has giant images and links for Amazon. You're complaining about the few Lego and Star Wars links we share to help pay for the hosting and contests on the site?
Chief

Postby Inzane » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:41 am

deco_droid wrote:really, discussing this is sort of pointless until we actually know what form the movies will be in (new changes, etc.) as well as what extra goodies will be included on the bonus discs. i find it funny when people say stuff like, "ol' george won't be getting any of MY money!" when they don't even know what the product is for sure...

If you have information that suggests Lucas is going to completely reverse his publicly documented position on classic vs. special edition OT films, please share that with us. Thanks.
Inzane

Postby StoutFiles » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Inzane wrote:

It won't be long before actors can be "reanimated" with CGI and voice modulation. Lucas has already been talking about buying dead actor's rights. It'll happen someday, there will be sequels to all sorts of old films in the future.
StoutFiles

Postby Draykov » Wed May 04, 2011 8:05 am

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Inzane » Wed May 04, 2011 9:03 am

Hmm, having seen the official details now, my original position has not swayed.

I am somewhat interested in the 'vintage' specials included on Disc Nine.

But as expected, no original version OT films included. Grrrr.....
Inzane

Next

Return to Star Wars