Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[POLL] Figs vs Builds: what floats your boat?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

What attracts you more?

Minifigures
42%
Parts/the Build
58%

Total votes : 111

Re: [POLL] Figs vs Builds: what floats your boat?

Postby lordvader208 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:14 pm

HothTrooper wrote:I'm generally buy sets based on the entire set, not just the minifigs or the vehicle and/or building. I tend to display my sets in a diorama-like format, so both the vehicles and/or buildings and the minifigs are equally important to creating a complete scene.

That's how I display my sets too. Just set up the vehicles and have minifigs running around all over the place. It would not look interesting without figs. Most annoying are battle droids, because they either fall over or their legs collapse on them. One easy solution to this problem: stand them on plates when displaying and glue the legs to the torso.
lordvader208

Postby Galagoo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:27 am

Earlier I made my decisions mostly by the vehicle/build itself, but in the last few years the importance of minifigs has rosen. The major reason might be my lack of proper display and storage space; minifigs are smaller and more easily handled.

In addition, I have to admit that I have always liked to build minifigs and endow them with various accessories. It's just plain cool. :cool:
Galagoo

Postby Walter Kovacs » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:30 am

I voted for the build (not necessarily the parts). I'm always looking for new techniques to use in MOCs, and I love to add new vehicles to my collection. I (almost) don't care about the minifigs. They are secondary at best. I have never bought a set spcifically for the minifigs.
UCS TIE Project: 10 down, 35 to go!

My Brickshelf Page
Walter Kovacs

Postby Ham Salad » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:30 am

Tough call. Went with minfigs only because I build to a theme or a whole scene so the minfigs are a big part of the overall setting. That said the build is the most enjoyable thing...but I do love surveying a large massed army of figs ready to do battle. Have to put a vote for both, depends on the mood.
I'm double parked in a parallel universe.
Ham Salad

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:17 pm

I'd like to point out that this poll surprises me... it really seemed like everyone put more stock in the figures than this implies. But from the comments it looks like my thought was only true for the big scene sets like Home One and Cloud City - then for the average off the shelf set it's the build that carries the weight (battlepacks excepted of course). Suppose I could have made a more involved poll to get a clearer picture.

Good insight people. Keep it coming. :)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Skafte » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:47 pm

I consider the minifigs to be a nice addition to the pile of LEGO pieces I'm going to assemble into something swooshable. But as many others have pointed out, occasionally they make me want to buy a set, for example Jabba's message - I don't think it would catch such a high after market price without Bib Fortuna... Arranging one of each fig on a shelf is nice, as well as putting them next to "their" ship.

I would have voted for a third alternative that said "I like both", but I guess 95% would pick that one, making this topic thoroughly uninteresting...
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:04 am

I do love me a good minifig, and would be disappointed if we lived in a world without Chewbacca, Boba Fett, Count Dooku, Ewoks, Yoda, Clones, IG-88, Luke and the gang, etc. But for my money, if it's a repetitive build and/or I can put it together in 1/2 an hour, it's not worth my time. I'm all about a good build with fun parts.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby findyourfix » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:56 am

Hey all! For me, it has go to be a good parts haul, or on clearance to buy a (bigger) set. I do like collecting the minifigs, but have always thought TLG uses them to attract a set purchase. For example, the Solar Sailer's price is a way out of whack. The only thing I can think of is that it has Dooku. That makes for a hard parts vs. Minifig choice. Thank TLG for magnet sets, huh? I enjoy a long build, and getting new parts for MOCs, or for kit revision projects. Thankfully, a lot of the problems brought up by "do I get it for the parts or 'figs?" decisions can be answered with Bricklink.
findyourfix

Postby Master Shake » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:51 am

I would say builds as well, although there are not so many really substantial builds that aren't prett repetitive in the SW lego universe. The UCS Falcon was so much fun, I've built it twice. I used to be more into the figs and the diorama presentation, but then I ran out of display space and lego started with the appalling cartoony clone war faces. That took out a lot of my interest in the figs, quite frankly.
Master Shake

Postby gr6120 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:01 am

For me, the sets and minifigs as complementary. I probably wouldn't get a set that didn't come with minifigs, but then again, sets with minifigs I really don't like might put me off getting it. That said, if the set looked a good build and had some interesting features, I suppose I'd consider getting it even if I didn't care for the figs. But, as Master Shake has said above, the large number of recent CW sets with cartoonish minifig faces has temporarily put me off getting new sets. That's why I can't wait until the summer, when we'll see a wave of non-CW SW sets XD.
gr6120

Postby buhs » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:16 pm

For me it's all about the build... and classic trilogy Star Wars. I pretty much have to buy every classic Star Wars kit because the 5-year-old me tells me I have to. It's really not a choice... more of a compulsion which fills me with much glee and happiness as I assemble and finally display the models (I don't really 'play' with them afterwards... unless I have a few beers in me anyway (that didn't sounds so sad until I wrote it down :S )). Anyway in summation... the minifigs are cool, but it's the build and display of models that draws me back (my wife says of all the vices, this is the lease destructive, although not the cheapest :p )
buhs

Postby thepatient » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:32 pm

You don't want to get a BUI (Building Under the Influence) or the one that comes with the stiffest penalties; a SWI (Swooshing While Intoxicated) Then it would be sad. :'(
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby yankeeken » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:23 pm

Although minifigs are usually the first think in the picture of a set to catch my attention, for me it all comes down to the parts and the build. Minifigs may help seal the deal if I can't decide whether or not to get a set, but generally if the set/parts are unappealing I usually pass on the set. For example, despite my interest in getting K-3PO, some snowtroopers and rebel Hoth troopers I didn't get 7666 Hoth Rebel Base, because it was just another Snowspeeder (I already have 2) and a boring door/wall.
yankeeken

Postby Brick shock » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:41 pm

I personally think Minifig Customization Wins.
Although a great MOC Can REALLY become large and fantastic (This does not apply to rouge bantha ;) )
Minifig customization is endless. You have Stickers,decals,modded plastic,custom items,Paint,Dye,Cloth,paper,sealant
,cutting and gluing. (That's not even close to 1% of all of 'em)
So Minifigs win in my opinion. (I was going to write A HUGE reply for this but it got messed up, oh well maybe I'll do it later.)
" "If you strike me down I shall eat your face as a zombie." Oops I mean....
"If you strike me down I shall become more powerful than you can ever imagine." "
Brick shock

Postby dWhisper » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:24 pm

Well, I probably purchase more sets for the figures, but what I remember is the build. Minifigures are cool, but not especially satisfying. You're not "building" the figure, you're assembling. Semantics, maybe, but you build the ship. A recent example is the Republic Attack Shuttle, among the most enjoyable system builds I've had of late. You get to watch the ship take shape, form, and every so often, get insight into the beautiful thing that is LEGO design. Minifigs are like little sculptures, and have something of their own like that, but a couple of things in, and you're done. You put them aside and get to building the ship.

When I set up displays and scenes, it's about the vehicles still. Sure, I put together figures with them, but they're an accent, not the centerpiece.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby ktonlai » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:59 pm

build. what can you do with mini=figuires? other than move the arms and legs?

but i know a good middleground that appeals to both groups.. the 7163 republic gunship. It had tons of minifigs and droids and just an awesome looking ship with a lot of playability.
ktonlai

Postby lordvader208 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Minifigs are just a collection thing. The set/build itself is something that can really be played with. In my opinion, I think it's a waste to buy a Lego set just for minifigs. Sure, minifigs are worth a ton after the set goes out of production, but if you think about paying X dollars for a set just for the figs, you will realize that what you paid for are just 2 inch tall pieces of plastic (for lack of a better word). Of course, they are nice to collect, but I just don't think it's justifiable to pay $55 for 3 minifigs, no matter how nice, unless solid gold or chrome XD (as in the solar sailer)
lordvader208

Postby huck to flat » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Weeeeelllllll.

You've all noticed how the 2008 "clone wars" set's each have like 1 or 2 or more "only come with this set " figures, like mace windu with the republic shuttle . If what lego did was to make them with out the figures, like them and then sell all the ones from that year in a secial set, just all the "special" figs in one set, only figs.

see what i mean?
"show me how to lie, im getting better all the time..."
huck to flat

Postby yankeeken » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:33 pm

Like lordvader said, aside from battlepacks, I don't understand the point of buy a set just for the minifigs. The whole point of LEGO, is to build things. Personally I feel that if your buying sets just for figs, then you should probably just go buy Hasbro's Star Wars action figures instead.
yankeeken

Postby donneyboy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:38 pm

the minifigures, but if your talking about the AT-TE, Republic Gunship, or Shuttle its for the vehicle. other wise its for the minifigures.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars