The best Lego Star Wars gimmick? Perhaps this is more a "best of" topic now, but I'll add my two cents. Most everything has been said before, but my picks for best gimmick would have to be:
- 8002 Destroyer Droid- This set looks actually like rubbish on the box, and I don't think the engineering that went into this set got the credit it deserves. The video posted by sharkshark will explain this set better than I ever could.
- 9794 Lego Mindstorms- Not the best perhaps, but pretty good considering its been more or less ten years since they came out. Nice engineering, although the appearance of an all-technic AT-AT will haunt me...
- 7153 and 6209 Jango Fett's Slave I and Slave I- these sets don't have anything too fabulous, but they are just so packed with little things. On 7153, the rotating blasters, jail cell, detailed internal mechanics, the magnetically sealed seismic charges, and little things like that. On 6209, the brick-built missles, seismic charges, Han in Carbonite compartment, and the little storage areas. Some solid sets.
- 7163 Republic Gunship- The front end here is a nice feature, and the bubble cannons are neat.
- 10123 Cloud City- This had some nice features, and the arm/leg printing on Boba Fett was a nice touch.
- 4502 X-Wing- Really, I would say that all the X-Wings have had their features: the compartments, the hinges, the gears, all good points. Yoda's hut in this set was very nifty
- 4504 Millennium Falcon- The design was pretty accurate (despite the small cockpit), but the way the panels open up, the way the boarding amp goes up and down by the pulling of the side, and the sealed escape pod are all good features. The gunner's turret was not bad. The printed circular chess-like board piece radiates nostalgia.
- 6210 Jabba's Sail Barge- This set had much the same appeal as 4504 in the way it opened up. The prison, kitchen, armory, and the other little details made this set noteworthy. The Boba Fett launcher, however, does not.
- 7662 MTT- This set has a truly amazing minifigure count, and the new arms were also a nice touch. The destroyr droid was vicious looking, however disproportionate it was.
- 7674 V-19 Torrent- Regardless of what you think of the set (I like it), the engineering is phenomenal. The way you can simply push the vertical wing into position and have the other two wings fold down into position, and the landing gear up, all at the same time is superb. A great set by my accord.
- 7676 RGS- This set had some nice features. I won't go on here, the features are well enough known.
- 10178 Motorized Walking AT-AT- enough said...
- 10188 Death Star- If I need to explain why this set deserves to be on the list, we have a problem.
- 7675 AT-TE & 10195 AT-OT/Republic Dropship- pretty gosh darn awesome. I can already see the multitudes of Geonosis MOCs now...
- 8018 AAT- Some people probably wouldn't put this one on here, but I really like the little transport that folds so quickly and neatly out of the back. Really, this alone gets it on my list.
- 8019 Republic Attack Shuttle- The firing mechanism and the bomb mechanism are genius. This set is just well engineered.
My, what a rant. I suppose this is a good topic. Anyway just my introspection on the matter.