Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Lego pens

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Lego pens

Postby DutchRebel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 am

Hello my fellow Bothans,

unfortunately the Lego Clone Wars pens are not available in Europe. I want to buy them from ebay now. Can someone from the US tell me whether the minifigs can be easily separated from the pens and can the legs be replaced, because I heard they can't move.

As you might have guessed I'm especially interested in the Jango Fett figure. So if you have a picture of the minifig from this pen, I would be really greatful.

Thanks so much for your help!

DutchRebel
DutchRebel

Re: Lego pens

Postby Crusader » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:05 am

Hi Dutch,

I got the latest Jango Fett and Tusken Rader pens for my boys for Christmas from Toys R Us for $5 each. The pens look fine and the minifigs with a a very casual inspection look like the real thing. However I don't think they are the real thing. THESE AREN'T LIKE THE KEYCHAIN MINFIGS. The plastic feels different and the legs are clearly one solid piece. They are also somewhat cheaper. Despite the pens being treatly fairly kindly, the arms pop off very easily. The hands also come out of the arms easier than a standard minifig.

On top of that, the "minifig" is fixed to the pen pretty well. I haven't tried to separate the fig from the pen, but I doubt that it be all that easy to do. It's not like removing the keychain from a keychain minifig.

My guess is that Lego gave some of their molds to the pen manufacturer to use. The pens seems to be mostly AOTC era, and the pen company is making something similar to a minifig, but also very inferior.

For $5 the pens were a fine stocking stuffer, and for a novelty pen hey seem to write fine. But if you want a Jango Fett, look elsewhere.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby DutchRebel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:26 am

Crusader wrote:Hi Dutch,

I got the latest Jango Fett and Tusken Rader pens for my boys for Christmas from Toys R Us for $5 each. The pens look fine and the minifigs with a a very casual inspection look like the real thing. However I don't think they are the real thing. THESE AREN'T LIKE THE KEYCHAIN MINFIGS. The plastic feels different and the legs are clearly one solid piece. They are also somewhat cheaper. Despite the pens being treatly fairly kindly, the arms pop off very easily. The hands also come out of the arms easier than a standard minifig.

On top of that, the "minifig" is fixed to the pen pretty well. I haven't tried to separate the fig from the pen, but I doubt that it be all that easy to do. It's not like removing the keychain from a keychain minifig.

My guess is that Lego gave some of their molds to the pen manufacturer to use. The pens seems to be mostly AOTC era, and the pen company is making something similar to a minifig, but also very inferior.

For $5 the pens were a fine stocking stuffer, and for a novelty pen hey seem to write fine. But if you want a Jango Fett, look elsewhere.

Thanx so much Crusader! You just saved me some precious Euros. I guess I'll have to wait until Lego releases a set with Jango, or save some more and buy it on BL...

thanx again!

MODs, please close this topic, thanx!

DutchRebel
DutchRebel

Postby Iare Tosevite » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:22 am

I own the star wars pens, and I can assent that quality is much lower even though I never opened mine, I can see it in wavy rather than flat torso and other issues.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Return to Star Wars