Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

Postby J30spiff » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:28 am

Despite the costs associated with 3D, plenty of people will see it. A younger audience will be awed by the movies and won't even notice the blatant flaws that will be painfully obvious to fans like ourselves.
J30spiff

Postby Jabba the Taff » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:29 am

I'm gonna hold fire. I'll go and see it in hope. For me, there's been good 3D (first two thirds of Avatar, Toy Story 3) and bad 3D (Alice in Wonderland, Clash of the Titans) and I probably gobbled up the hype a bit too much. I was then thinking, 'yeah, it's a gimmick that'll pass.' If I remembered the film it was because of the story. But then I heard Pixar's take on 3D. The vlog can be found here. Now I'll treat the 3D as a possible enhancement. It's not going to make a poor film a good one, but it is another tool that film makers can use to express themselves.

And while Lucas probably never thought of expressing his vision for Star Wars through 3D, I'm going to take the fact that it was always meant to be a Saturday matinee spectacle as a basis for thinking that adding to the spectacle may be no bad thing.

My main wish, though, is for Lucas is to allow the EU and adult themes to be taken into film and not keep banging on about SW being films for kids.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:42 am

that guy wrote:Maybe someday he'll remake THX 1138 the way he 'wanted to' the first time but didn't have the technology just like the OT.

Already done my friend.

I think everyone's beginning to grow tired of 3D and the constant re-releases, but this has some potential. I've never seen the OT on the big screen and an entire generation younger than me, so the thought of seeing them I find quite exciting.

I'm quite surprised at this almost unanimous trashing of Lucas and this idea. While I think he should have moved on from Star Wars, there's nothing wrong with him expanding upon it. As long as he, at some point, makes the ORIGINAL cuts of all the films available (TPM has several scenes added on the DVD that weren't there on release for example) then I think he can do what he wants. If there's a danger of the 'Special Editions' becoming the definitive editions, then I'll be a little less happy; every film that has a Directors Cut, when released on DVD, has the option to play the original or altered version. Its not hard to do.

Then again, I don't see why Star Wars fans seem to HATE AOTC; I guess I'm a minority.
Master Fetty

Postby j15sw » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:45 am

Disgusting. Simple as that. Hope it flops.
j15sw

Postby Draykov » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:33 am

Master Fetty wrote:I'm quite surprised at this almost unanimous trashing of Lucas and this idea.

This is probably bordering on off-topic discussion, but I'm going to indulge myself here.

Imagine for a moment that you are a youngster. The tender age of, oh, say 5-9. Now imagine that dear old mom has made your favorite dessert for you. One she only makes on special occasions like holidays. It's good...so good you have dreams about it. You love this dessert and it resonates with you into adulthood. You often think back on it with fond memories.

Now, imagine you're a college-age student...coming home for the holidays. Mom has whipped up your favorite dessert! Awesome, right? Well, guess what! She added liver and onions on top. Your favorite dessert is still there, but now mom is on lithium and she's doing weird things to it. It's not what you remembered from your childhood and it's hard to imagine why she changed it so drastically.

You're in your mid to late 20s now. Mom has announced a whole new dessert based on the one you knew as a kid. It sucks.

Now you're in your 30s and mom has said she's bringing back these desserts again for the holidays, but this time, they will be eaten on the deck of a ship. The old one is still going to perverted by the liver and onions. The new one still sucks, it'll just suck on waves. How would you feel about it?
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ufjason » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:01 pm

that guy wrote:While I agree that the high quality transfers are great, am I the only one who's noticed that doing so made the OT that much better, and PT that much worse? When I watch the PT on my high-def now, you can see how cheap the special effects look, especially in scenes like the battle of Geonosis. Blu-ray is great and all, but BOY does it highlight the green screen effects and not for the better. Now compare that to the OT high-def releases and those look amaaaaazing because it was all done with models so there's nothing to jump out at you like "WOW THAT"S REALLY FAKE LOOKING" like in the PT. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure some will disagree. But back to 3D, it's never good to remaster a 2D movie into 3D, anyone remember Clash of the Titans??????

I totally agree. I caught spike tv's marathon and noted the same exact thing. OT looks fantastic and PT looks even worse than it already did. In fact, I'm thinking of liquidating my PT DVD's.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby that guy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:12 pm

Draykov wrote:
Master Fetty wrote:I'm quite surprised at this almost unanimous trashing of Lucas and this idea.

This is probably bordering on off-topic discussion, but I'm going to indulge myself here.......Now you're in your 30s and mom has said she's bringing back these desserts again for the holidays, but this time, they will be eaten on the deck of a ship. The old one is still going to perverted by the liver and onions. The new one still sucks, it'll just suck on waves. How would you feel about it?

I couldn't agree more. The whole point as one person stated is that it was NEVER supposed to be a huge success and as such shouldn't be remastered into one. I loved the OT for the fact what it was and how I remember seeing it. I don't need to be spoon fed all 'could've beens' that Lucas wants to fill in for me. What's next, 3D glasses to go see the Sistine Chapel or maybe we can use some newly developed paints to redo Whistler's Mother? I hear there's some new plasters that we could redo the Statue of David in. Get the point?? I for one enjoy the brilliant cheeziness of the OT and largely enjoy it for just that reason. I mean really, did we HAVE to find out who shot first in the cantina, did Jabba have to come to the hanger, did they have to add in all those extra stormtroopers on the DS, etc etc?
that guy

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:33 pm

J30spiff wrote:Despite the costs associated with 3D, plenty of people will see it. A younger audience will be awed by the movies and won't even notice the blatant flaws that will be painfully obvious to fans like ourselves.

Agreed. There are a lot of kids' movies these days that are simply awful; the Prequels will fit in perfectly. And with all the digital junk they've put into them, it won't be much different from an animated feature. In 3D? Just preserve the Original Trilogy Lucas and I won't care what you do to the Prequels. High-definition computer graphics end up looking totally fake anyway.

Lucas can't possibly make 7, 8, and 9 because then he'll be disregarding the Thrawn Trilogy, the Black Fleet Crisis, Dark Empire, and a lot of other stuff that Expanded Universe fans know and love. I doubt he would risk losing that dedicated fanbase for a bunch of little kids who probably can't tell Zev Senesca from Wedge Antilles.

I love Draykov's analogy; it captures the feel of the whole situation perfectly for me.

There are too many reasons to hate Attack of the Clones. To really get the point across, someone would have to start a new thread.
fallenangel327

Postby Flynn » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:35 pm

Master Fetty wrote:Then again, I don't see why Star Wars fans seem to HATE AOTC; I guess I'm a minority.

Maybe because aside from Ewan Mcgregor and a couple action scenes, there's nothing redeemable about it?

Seriously, aside from the sappy love story and the overindulgence of CGI, there's just so much that's wrong with that film. The story makes no sense, the characters make no sense, the acting is bland aside from the aforementioned Mcgregor, and just everything about it is either ridiculous, sappy, or obnoxious. I started hating AOTC before it was even popular to hate the prequels.

Anyways, Star Wars 3D...eh. Knowing Lucas, it was inevitable, and I'll probably see at least Star Wars, if not The Empire Strikes Back. All depends on what they do with it.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Gonk » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Meh. Years ago when the OT was originally re-released on DVD only with the added special effects of the Special Editions I swore that I wouldn't buy any Star Wars DVD until the original versions were released. I WAS able to hold out and now own those discs. I don't like rewriting of history - I like to watch movies as I saw them in the theater (or some reasonable facsimile.) Movies are made at a point in time and reflect that period, intentionally or not, in their set design, characters, costumes, music, special effects, etc. Movies that were made with 3D in mind (think Avatar) can turn out spectacularly in that format. Trying to add 3D after-the-fact can only degrade the nature of the original material. I'm quite happy with 2D Star Wars, thank you very much. Maybe Lucas should focus on making a seventh new movie in 3D. That might be interesting. However, I'm sure someone, somewhere, will want to see and enjoy them - that's fine; it's just not going to be me.
Gonk

Postby KarolRabalski » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:07 pm

I guess it's okay for the people who would enjoy it, I'm not against this or anything.

But I do hate 3D. Absolutely hate it. One of the worst headaches ever made. One of the worst technologies to come out in recent times.

On a side note...please tell me there are other people on this forum that hated Avatar, even in 3D and didn't think it was one of the greatest movies ever made, because it wasn't.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby banthafodder » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:49 pm

KarolRabalski wrote:On a side note...please tell me there are other people on this forum that hated Avatar, even in 3D and didn't think it was one of the greatest movies ever made, because it wasn't.

Thank you
banthafodder

Postby that guy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:44 pm

No matter how you feel about it though, here you have a director that took a directly opposite approach to Lucas' approach back in the day. He supposedly waited umpteen years for the 'right technology' before making his movie. So is it then possible that had he made it back in the 90's that it would've been worse but had a cult following and then some other Avatar geek board would be having this same discussion about Cameron remastering Avatar into 3D. Sadly this same conversation is probably taking place on chat boards for everything from Princess Bride to Heat and I bet they all agree that all these gorram directors and producers should just leave well enough alone. It was bad enough when Ted Turner colorized everything but this has got to stop. As stated by myself and countless others earlier, movies are designed to reflect a point in time for any number of reasons and it needs to stay that way. PERIOD!!
that guy

Postby turtle » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:09 am

Folks this thing is going to happen, and it will make an insane amount of money. All six of the films will be edited from their original versions. That's right, new versions of the PT and a second! revision of the OT films. And kids will eat it up, just as fast as ever. The new "films" will probably release a year apart, because they are really only edits of the old films. But the good news, is that we'll probably have star wars legos until at least 2019. If the box office reciepts for these "films" are good. There will likely be another trilogy, and then we'll have 6 more years of SW Lego. People this will go on and on, until everybody gets sick of it. But there will always be new people (kids) that have never seen the films, and so it's likely to go on forever, until Lucas's kids finally run the thing into the grave. At which point we will see Han Solo Pale Ale, Chewbacca Dog Chow, The R2-D2 Blender, and Padme's sanitary napkins, as liscensed products.
turtle

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:37 am

turtle wrote:That's right, new versions of the PT and a second! revision of the OT films. And kids will eat it up, just as fast as ever.

Is that definite? Where've you heard it? Because that would make watching the PT in cinemas again a bit more worth while. And this'll be a third revision of the OT - 1997 and 2004.
Master Fetty

Postby Drock » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:31 am

turtle wrote:At which point we will see Han Solo Pale Ale, Chewbacca Dog Chow, The R2-D2 Blender, and Padme's sanitary napkins, as liscensed products.

I just hope to god they tring back these, complete with the cut-out mask on the back:

turtle wrote:The R2-D2 Blender

I think I just heard Don Solo squeal with delight.
Drock

Postby Draykov » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:27 am

turtle wrote: If the box office reciepts for these "films" are good. There will likely be another trilogy, and then we'll have 6 more years of SW Lego.

Even Neil Armstrong would be proud of that leap in logic.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby that guy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:44 am

Sadly, by the time Lucas is done 'remastering' his movies the Robot Chicken versions will be closer to the originally released versions...

-"what the hell is an Aluminum Falcon??"
that guy

Postby Jabba the Taff » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:54 am

that guy wrote: As stated by myself and countless others earlier, movies are designed to reflect a point in time for any number of reasons and it needs to stay that way. PERIOD!!

That specific version of the movie, yes. But an alternative edit, reflects a different point in time. It might not reflect it well, but...

Many movie directors are on record as saying a film and it's relation to the original film script is about a series of compromises that mainly revolve around the budget. Sometimes the budget, or rather lack of, works in the film's favour. Like with the OT. It's surely a perfectly human reaction to harbour a desire to see what could've have been, had you had full scope to exercise your vision in the first place. It just happens to be that Lucas was able to realise that desire and it wasn't a great result (for most people anyway!)

Lucas should surely just stick every version of the trilogies out, and then we can all ignore the ones we don't want to watch.
Jabba the Taff

Postby that guy » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:39 am

Jabba the Taff wrote: It just happens to be that Lucas was able to realise that desire and it wasn't a great result (for most people anyway!)

I understand what you're saying but there are plenty of other very, if not more talented directors out there who have the ability to 'revisit' their movies but choose not to in order to preserve their integrity. Last time I check Kubrick isn't tickety tockity planning on sprucing up Clockwork Orange, Coppola isn't giving us an offer we can't refuse with a new vision of The Godfather, and Scorsese certainly isn't going see if we're talking to him about a new Taxi Driver. Even Lucas' good buddy Spielberg leaves his crap alone as I haven't seen a re-imagined Jaws despite the crappy mechanical shark or a new E.T. flying across the digital moon in any future plans. Bottom line is sadly it's Lucas' world and we're living in it for better or worse. I love Star Wars to death, but I love it for what it WAS, not what it could've been.
that guy

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars