Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars movies coming in 3D in 2012!

Postby that guy » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Robzula wrote:Why is it that every treats Lucas making money as dastardly? The whole point of entering into a business is to make money, it's expected. Yeah, he may have a lot already, but he did the work for it, he deserves to get it. Also, there are TONS of other successful people and companies that never get flak like Lucas does, even though they do the same thing.

While I don't disagree that there are plenty of others in similar financial situations, it's the flagrant manner in which he appears to flaunt his "neener neener" attitude about how 'smart" he was to get merchandising rights back in the 70's and how great his product line is. Yeah we all get it, he was smart, and yes he deserves his money but he needs to move on and stop with rehashing his movies....what's next? Indiana Jones in 3D? Here comes the rolling ball, I hate 3D snakes, or watch out for that spinning propeller blade you big bald dude? Maybe someday he'll remake THX 1138 the way he 'wanted to' the first time but didn't have the technology just like the OT. Just ranting, but I'm sure I'm not alone.
that guy

Postby EbonHawk » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:33 pm

JediJeff wrote:Starting with Episode I The Phantom Menace. Jar Jar in 3D! ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=11752963

Awesome jar jar in 3D.Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://www.fbtb.net/forums/posting.php?mode=quote&f=8&p=44748&sid=fdeca2d3bbcd71112f723b16391cee90#
EbonHawk

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:34 pm

No amount of 3D conversion can improve the 2-dimensional characters and flat acting of the prequels. *ba-dum-tiss*

Seriously, I'll likely see Episode IV when they get around to it. I guess.

I wonder if this will make the LEGO Star Wars license last another decade, if they do indeed do one per year.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Drock » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Maybe the new RotS will have Ahsoka in it. Just sayin'...
Drock

Postby Valen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Well if making money is Lucas' object then why doesn't he made chapters 7 through 9 instead of re-editing?
Valen

Postby ka.lego » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:34 pm

I'm neither surprised nor impressed by this news. The only foreseeable way Lucas will be getting more of my money is by getting Lego to produce a higher number of SW sets in each assortment...and release the assortments more often. If so...I'm sold.
ka.lego

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:04 pm

I'm glad my kids will have a chance to see it in the theaters.
MisterFubar

Postby Dendo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:35 pm

1. I also don't care for 3D - it is a gimmick designed to raise ticket prices. However, I know that my kids will love seeing it in the theater regardless of what D it is, and that alone will make the experience memorable.

2. Yes, George Lucas is milking a cash cow, but the cow keeps giving. Personally speaking, Star Wars has brought much enjoyment to my life and to my children. I would hate to see it fade out because Lucas decided he had enough money.

3. Jar Jar's tounge grabbing fruit in 3D? Shudder.
Dendo

Postby Plo Koon » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Cool!
Plo Koon

Postby Blacknight » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:58 am

Personally I'm bored of watching the same 6 films again and again, and 3D won't really make them any better (while the Clone Wars TV episodes are a mixed bag overall, at least it's new content to get excited about each week, even if it isn't live action).

In fact it's possible the 3D might even make the films worse by emphasizing all the distracting elements Lucas has thrown into the prequels and special editions for no good reason other than to distract the audience's attention. Like for example the little droids going this way and that in front of the camera or those awful new Jabba's Palace singers. And you can bet Lucas will insist on adding even more gimicky 3D effects to the OT just because he can. The OT may be hard to recognize after he gets done with this latest makeover. The cheapening of the Star Wars brand continues...
Blacknight

Postby Marty » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:03 am

Given what I've seen in recent 3D movies, in seems on face value a good idea, but to start with the first SW episode 1?
I'd have to say No! This would not be the movie Lucas should start with. It's a more likely idea to start with the movie that started it all, "Star Wars", I for one having never seen it at the cinema would love to see on the big screen, and even better in 3D!
I seen the 3D done really well in cartoon form, but would they be able to transform the 2D well enough, this I'd like to see and given that there is a younger generation growing up who have never seen the movie, this would be a good example to start with.
As for Lucas making money, gorram if only other movie companies had this idea?
Regards Marty
Marty

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:49 am

Gimmick. I hope the Phantom Menace attendance is around 27 people nation wide on opening weekend. It would serve King George right.
GrayMattR

Postby Andi » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 am

Inzane wrote:I wish this 3D gimmick trend would just go away....

:facepalm:

same here. It was crap in the 80ies and it is crap today.
Sure, it would be cool to see the Star Wars movies again on big screen. But the original versions are good enough, they really should stop changing them over and over again.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Lord Pachelbel » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:59 am

These aren't the films we're looking for.
Lord Pachelbel

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:12 am

Robzula wrote:Why is it that every treats Lucas making money as dastardly? The whole point of entering into a business is to make money, it's expected. Yeah, he may have a lot already, but he did the work for it, he deserves to get it. Also, there are TONS of other successful people and companies that never get flak like Lucas does, even though they do the same thing.

I think Lucas gets flak from Star Wars fans not because he wants to make money, but because of the way he's been doing so for the past 20 years. Most fans (and I'm one of them) get the impression that he's been taking the easy road, relying on special effects instead of coming up with another epic story, or re-releasing the same movies over and over again instead of challenging himself to come up with brand new and original things.

Lucas is like a baseball player who, after having three seasons with a batting average above .300, signs a big lucrative contract for 10 years with a no-trade clause, then sits on it and doesn't hit above .225. Sure, he gets a hit every once in a while, but he's not the big star player you wanted him to be.

Star Wars in 3d in 2012? I'll guess I'll say "Mooooooohh, Mister Lucas" because I'll want my son to experience this the way I experienced it all those years ago...
Last edited by Daz Hoo on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daz Hoo

Postby liquidcross » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:41 am

Definitely going to pass.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Diaaabo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:48 am

I think it will be nice, let's wait and see!
Diaaabo

Postby jonutah » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:33 am

The prequel movies had no soul for me. So, now they will have no soul in 3D. The acting was horrible, no depth of characters, and the stories were a convoluted mess. I don't pay 10.00 a ticket just to see special effects. So, I'll pass. I might see Episode IV for my kid's sake.

I too wish the 3D thing would go away. Its a gimmick and doesn't add a lot to the reasons I go to the theater.

- Jon
jonutah

Postby cleverusername » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:53 am

Valen wrote:Well if making money is Lucas' object then why doesn't he made chapters 7 through 9 instead of re-editing?
I remember when I was a kid and saw 4/5/6 in the theaters. I thought it was so cool that there would be a 1/2/3 and a 7/8/9. It still would be cool.
cleverusername

Postby hatcher » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:31 am

While the idea of 3D Star Wars makes me go "Whatever", the ability to take my kids to see the 3 movies that practically defined my childhood does interest me a lot. In 2015 my kids will be old enough to go see them with me, so that makes me happy.

That assumes however that Eps 1,2,3 actually make any money in 3d to justify the expense of Lucas releasing 4,5,6.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars