Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Phantom Menace:Bad?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: The Phantom Menace:Bad?

Postby BigBenKenobi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:51 pm

TheThrasher wrote:Its like the OT is just one big movie, and the PT is its sequel. The sequel is almost never as good as the original, almost.

That almost can be used when talking about Episodes V and VI. But, IMO, the PT are not really sequels to the OT. I mean they are, but they're not...ya know what I mean (I think I may have just confused everyone, or even myself a little)?
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby TheThrasher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:09 pm

Ya, there not sequels, there prequels, which are like sequels only before the movie like a prequel instead of after like a sequel. ;) What I meant was the fact that the OT and PT had completely different story lines, and the prequels were released after the OT. So in a way, you can look at it like a sequel, though it really isn't. And unlike Ep V, the prequels just aren't as good as the original.
TheThrasher

Postby ScruffyNerfHerder » Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:56 pm

onions wrote:
Galagoo wrote:I meant the whole trilogy. I think all the films, also OT, have flaws and bad aspects.
Like ESB, for example. It's a pretty good film, but there's something in it that just makes it the least enjoyable SW film for me to watch.

whaaaat? esb was the best one out of the 6.

Agreed
ScruffyNerfHerder

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:47 pm

I really wish I could find it now, but there is an article online where a guy talks about why the PT is not as good as the OT, especially Episode I. It involves the fact that Ep IV was proofread and revised numerous times by friends and such, while Ep I was written as a draft, then immediately went into production. When left to his own devices, Lucas writes stuff like Jar Jar. Ep V is the best because they got Kershner to direct, and Lucas was not as actively involved. Then he got more involved for Ep VI, which explains the ewoks.

It's a great read, and really offers some interesting ideas to explain the differences in quality between movies. I'm sorry I no longer have the link.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Masta' Bo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:03 pm

That sounds pretty interesting GIR. Perhaps you could find a quote or title for us. :)

AS for TPM, it was a great film, besides the kiddy elements. I liked Jar-Jar when I was 10, but ya know, like most others, later saw him as an embarrassment. Lucas could have included Gungans without presenting them as a stupid dumb-talking race of frogs.

As for the storyline, I think it is a refr4eshing change from the galaxy being threatened to be blown up. Yes, it's a trade embargo, but still, it introduces us to Palpatine's 2-timing ways instantly.

Darth Maul was the best part of the movie. The duel was of course the strong point: it had great scenery and was choreographed nicely. However, all the "flipping" through scenes sucked. 2 scenes simultaneously would have been an improvement. Maul should not have died, Qui-Gon's death was necessary, and Obi-Wan and the other two we cast perfectly. Even though Ewan MacGregor can be corney at times, his acting suited Obi-Wan's early ways very well, and helped explain Anakin's plight of Ep. II.

The CGI was bad in some places, and good in others. 'Nuff said. (At least it is visually better than IJ KOCS's CGI).

Podracing and view of a different part of the galaxy was also refresing to the series. I like it.

Jake Llyod was cute enough, but not strong enough to be baby Anakin. I say, but a more arrogant tone on his voice.

Best to Worst:
ESB
ANH
ROTJ/TPM/ROTS (all have good and bad parts, but mostly awesome overall)

AOTC (had sooo much potential and room for improvement, and then Lucas decided to direct it) ;)
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:43 pm

The only parts I like about the prequels are the clone battles and the OT was good but it really gets old after a while.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Inzane » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:50 pm

GIR3691 wrote:TPM should have been the first 5-10 minutes of Episode 2, ditch the cheesy love story in Episode 2 (which is now Episode I,) and end it with Geonosis. Then make Episode 2 be about the Clone Wars (two TV series,) and Episode III would be basically the same. And no Jar Jar.

It's biggest problem? ANH is about a superweapon capable of destroying a planet. TPM is about a trade embargo.

Thank you! I don't think I could've said it any better.

I've always felt that TPM was a waste of a movie. Lucas had three movies to tell an epic story giving us the back story we've been wanting for 25+ years, and it felt like 1.5 out of 3 movies were WASTED on corny/cheesy "filler".
Inzane

Postby Flynn » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm

GIR3691 wrote:I really wish I could find it now, but there is an article online where a guy talks about why the PT is not as good as the OT, especially Episode I. It involves the fact that Ep IV was proofread and revised numerous times by friends and such, while Ep I was written as a draft, then immediately went into production.

If I remember right, it was Lawrence Kasdan and...someone else...who helped Lucas with the dialouge of Ep. IV and V. Funny, ROTJ is often considered the worst of the OT, and that's (If I remember correctly) the only one not to have help from Lawrence Kasdan and...that other person...And then, of course, the PT (I'm looking at you, AOTC) needs no introduction. ;)

Honestly, as soon as Jango left the screen, the movie became a sleeping pill.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby josh manperl » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:46 pm

I loved the Phantom Menace. You get Qui Gon and Darth Maul in the same movie, and in my opinion those are two of the coolest characters. Sure lil' Anni and Jar-Jar were annoying, but it was also the only prequel movie that felt like the OT.

Oh and, I'm new here; name's Josh, and I was a visitor of the original website and love this one too.
josh manperl

Postby Teekay » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:38 am

I love all the Star Wars movies, but in order:

1. ESB/ANH
3. ROTS
4. AOTC
5. ROTJ/TPM

I'll change my mind in about 30 minutes, but oh well.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby The Brain » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:28 pm

I must say that I'm not hypercritical of any of the Star Wars films. I've always said the OT is better becuase it's purist SW, but that doesn't make the PT bad. I like GIR's idea of sort of combining EP I and II, but I don't think EP I should just be 10 mins worth of TPM and the rest of AOTC--they were both important, just much more boring than the OT. I say they could combine TPM and AOTC minus the following elements (and assuming they fixed the aging problem that would be run into...):

Cut all the emphasis on Jar-Jar's importance in the films--all of them.
Cut out all the diplomatic elements in both films except for perhaps snippets of info, just to inform us of what is going on in the background of the fighting.
Kill the emphasis on the romance between Anakin and Padme. Important, but seriously, there's like an hour total of smooching and flirting in the SW films that could have been made into fighting--much more fitting in a SW film.
Cut out all the plotting to escape from Theed in EP I, it's not that important. Just get outta there.
Cut the length of the podrace scene. Fun the first time, but if you watch it a second time, it really takes waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long.
Cut out all the Separatists meetings in AOTC. We know what they plan on doing and what is gonna happen, doesn't need such a long explanation--who else would be the villains of the PT?

This could easily combine TPM and AOTC into an extended, several hour movie. Lord of the Rings did it with Return of the King (length of movie, I mean). Then we could have another long second PT movie focused on the Clone Wars, including some epic battles. In retrospect, I would love to have seen that so much more than what we got.

Good ideas, GIR!
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Bob P » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 pm

The lightsaber duel in TPM is the best in the saga in my opinion although it is slightly let down by the shield wall aspect that seperated Kenobi from joinning the fight which seemed somewhat weak.

TPM also bought us that fantastic score which stands alongside the original title theme and imperial march as the soundtrack to Star Wars.
Bob P

Previous

Return to Star Wars