Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The Phantom Menace:Bad?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

The Phantom Menace:Bad?

Postby Darthboba281 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:11 pm

I've heard that a lot of people thing that episode I was a terrible movie. I disagree with that. Sure, the begging and middle drags on a bit, but really. So what is your opinion on this?

Also, check out this video called "The Saga Begins" by Weird Al
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayASsb4G8k&feature=channel_page
Darthboba281

Re: The Phantom Menace:Bad?

Postby Super33 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:06 pm

Episode 1 was not as good as the original trilogy in my opinion. Although, I think it is better then episodes 2 and 3. It seemed to me like Lucas was trying to hurry up and get these 3 movies done.
Super33

Postby Flynn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:06 pm

I liked it, mainly because it was the first SW film I saw in theatres. Yes, Jar-Jar can get annoying, yes, the podrace went on way too long, but overall I didn't think it was that bad.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby TheThrasher » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:19 pm

I have mixed feelings about the movie. Its good, but its also bad. I think one reason the movie is so drastically disliked is because it was the first Star Wars film to be released after the OT, so expectations were huge. I think what makes the prequels disliked as a whole is that CGI is used heavely throughout the films, were as in the OT all the sets were real, and looked so great.

But for TPM, I think the "kiddy" tone of the movie hurt it. And what I mean by that is JarJar, and the other goofiness the film had. Some might disagree with me, but that really hurt the appeal of the movie with the adult fans, the ones who saw SW from the beggining. The movie also just didn't have the epicness that the originals had, but like I said, expectaions were very big for this film.

But not all of the film was bad. Of course, it was our first look at the times before the Rebellion. It was very cool to see the Trade Federation and all the Battle Droids and other technology that was introduced. And another big addition, the jedi. This was the first movie that had multiple Jedi in it, rather than just Luke and Obi Wan. The ending Lightsaber battle was definatly a strong point of the film.

So, of course, the prequels can't be as good as the OT, but they showed us everything that had our imaginations going wild when Obi Wan first mentions the Clone Wars back in A New Hope. Phantom wasn't great, and it was a sort of let down, but it gave us SW again, and thats what we wanted.
TheThrasher

Postby ScruffyNerfHerder » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:36 pm

Although I treat it as the worst in terms of all six Star Wars movies, I still enjoyed it thoroughly. Its hard for me to dislike anything that has to d with Star Wars, truly :D .
ScruffyNerfHerder

Postby meeotch » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:41 pm

My only real problem with TPM is the kid playing Anakin. His acting is just so over-the-top bad, it completly breaks for 4th wall for me. Other than, it's Star Wars, so I like it.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby yankeeken » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:53 pm

The Phantom Menace was defiantly my least favorite of the Star Wars films, well aside from CGI Clone Wars which I don't even consider to be a Star Wars movie. One of the main reasons that I didn't like TPM was the fact that it didn't live up to my expectations. Neither AOTC nor ROTS ran into the same problem, because I had lower expectations as TPM taught me that the PT wasn't going to be as good as the OT. The other two major problems I had with TPM, were Jar Jar (enough said) and the whole podracer scenes (which seemed to drag on for half the movieImage).
yankeeken

Postby Galagoo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:33 am

TheThrasher wrote:I have mixed feelings about the movie. Its good, but its also bad.
Isn't that the case with all of the movies?

I personally enjoyed TPM, although that might be because I didn't have any real expectations as I saw it for the first time. I also actually liked Jar Jar; even though he's a rather childish character, he adds to the humour in some way better - more fluent and genuine, I'd say - than most of the humour elements in OT.

But Jake Lloyd, on the other hand, was quite annoying at times. "Yippee!", anyone?
Galagoo

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:01 am

the only enjoyable aspect of ep.i was the pod race. everything else was a snoozefest.

lucas jumped the shark when he introduced midichlorians.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Skafte » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:13 am

It has a cool Padmé played by hottie Portman, that has to be added to the pros of the film.
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Andi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:09 am

It is not comparable with the OT movies, but from the 6 it's a close 4. And it is a lot better than Episode 2.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby TheThrasher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:38 am

Galagoo wrote:
TheThrasher wrote:I have mixed feelings about the movie. Its good, but its also bad.

No, not really. A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back were great films, and I always enjoy watching them. Now if you mean just the PT, then ya, they all had their flaws. Some more than others.
TheThrasher

Postby Joedward » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:50 am

When I first saw the film I thought it was awesome and amazing and like the best flim ever. I was 9 at the time.
Once I got older I started to understand how bad it really is. It's a shame because it had potential to be truly amazing, some of was infact great, but those parts are so overcast by the moments in the film that are so subpar that it ruins the rest of it.
I thought the podrace was fantastic, yet too short. The action at the very end was mostly great, aside from Obi Wan's short stint of running on the spot which I believe resulted in Qui Gon's death, which shouldn't have happened. Maul shouldn't have died either.
Jake Lloyd can't act, I know we was about 10 years old, but come on, he was just awful. Jar Jar and the rest of Gungans I heard were supposed to have the same impact and point as ewoks, which is crazy. Jar Jar annoys me like nothing else I know. The end fight with the droids was great until Jar Jar started acting like Jar Jar.

I have all these complaints and more, and I still think it's not the worst of the PT, that would be AotC. Which, again, had some great bits, but all overshadowed by parts that should never have been in any movie. (That includes Hayden whatsshisface)
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Galagoo » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:15 am

TheThrasher wrote:
Galagoo wrote:

No, not really. A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back were great films, and I always enjoy watching them. Now if you mean just the PT, then ya, they all had their flaws. Some more than others.

I meant the whole trilogy. I think all the films, also OT, have flaws and bad aspects.
Like ESB, for example. It's a pretty good film, but there's something in it that just makes it the least enjoyable SW film for me to watch.
Galagoo

Postby TheThrasher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:08 am

Galagoo wrote:
TheThrasher wrote:

I meant the whole trilogy. I think all the films, also OT, have flaws and bad aspects.
Like ESB, for example. It's a pretty good film, but there's something in it that just makes it the least enjoyable SW film for me to watch.

Sure, all films, not just Star Wars, have there flaws. Its just a matter of opinion, and with Star Wars, there are alot of view points for every film.
TheThrasher

Postby onions » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:11 am

Galagoo wrote:I meant the whole trilogy. I think all the films, also OT, have flaws and bad aspects.

whaaaat? esb was the best one out of the 6.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Inzane » Mon Feb 23, 2009 11:53 am

TheThrasher wrote:But for TPM, I think the "kiddy" tone of the movie hurt it. And what I mean by that is JarJar, and the other goofiness the film had. Some might disagree with me, but that really hurt the appeal of the movie with the adult fans, the ones who saw SW from the beggining. The movie also just didn't have the epicness that the originals had,

^^^ As an AFOSW, I highly agree with those comments.
Inzane

Postby BigBenKenobi » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:38 pm

onions wrote:the only enjoyable aspect of ep.i was the pod race. everything else was a snoozefest.

lucas jumped the shark when he introduced midichlorians.

I'll agree with that to some degree. However, I did like the opening scenes and the ending Battle of Naboo (land and space) as well. In my opinion, I think Epsiode I was pretty good considering the amount of information and history Lucas had to bombard us with. And for those of you being critical of Episodes V and the other OT films, just leave and go away ;) . Naw just kidding...but seriously, I don't understand why Episode V would be the least entertaining. All the OT films are EPIC in my opinion!
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby GIR3691 » Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:45 pm

Here we go again. The pacing of the whole PT era was off.

TPM should have been the first 5-10 minutes of Episode 2, ditch the cheesy love story in Episode 2 (which is now Episode I,) and end it with Geonosis. Then make Episode 2 be about the Clone Wars (two TV series,) and Episode III would be basically the same. And no Jar Jar.

The final duel was the only good part of Episode I. It's biggest problem? ANH is about a superweapon capable of destroying a planet. TPM is about a trade embargo.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby TheThrasher » Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:38 pm

GIR3691 wrote: It's biggest problem? ANH is about a superweapon capable of destroying a planet. TPM is about a trade embargo.

I think that can sum it up right there. The OT's story was just so much better. The prequels are lacking in the wow factor that the originals had. Even with all the special effects the prequels had, the Original Trilogy was just better. There is no way around that. Its like the OT is just one big movie, and the PT is its sequel. The sequel is almost never as good as the original, almost.
TheThrasher

Next

Return to Star Wars