Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[NEW STUFF] 2011 SW Sets

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: [NEW STUFF] 2011 SW Sets

Postby LL918 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:42 am

Well I did think that the release of an image of the new Hoth set would have generated more discussion on FBTB by now than it has. They seemed to be going crazy over on Eurobricks when those first images came out.

I was only expecting another small Hoth set - something around the size of the somewhat misnamed Echo Base (7749) – i.e. a turret plus taun-taun plus snow and a few minifigs, so the size of this is a good surprise for me. LEGO have tried to cram a lot into a good sized set, but as usual they are not going to please everyone. We can’t expect LEGO to put out something like Brickplumber’s Hoth scene as a set, but people still complain.

Over on Eurobricks FallenAngel has pointed out that the odd double radar dish is a shield generator in the game Empire at War, I wouldn’t have known what it was otherwise. I guess this means it is not in the film? But good to know there are game playing geeks at LEGO. The DANGER sign from the deleted scene is a nice otaku touch also. But then there are some people complaining that we get the sign, but no Wampa pen… what do you expect when the Wampa Cave (8089) just came out last year and is still available? The same goes for those wanting this set to include a SnowSpeeder.

The obvious comparisons are with the Battle of Endor (8038) and Home One (7754). The bulk of opinion seems to be falling on the side of this being closer to Home One, and therefore being not so good. I am willing to reserve judgement. No it doesn’t have the exterior like Endor, but we already got a version of that in Hoth Rebel Base (7666). This set could turn out to be another 7666 which was criticised when it came out, (many complained that it was ‘only a door’ - I bought three so that I could combine them to make a door big enough to get an X-Wing through) but it currently commands higher prices on Bricklink than the larger Home One. Anyway I’m looking forward to seeing more images of this new Hoth Echo Base.

The bacta tank appears to be the five high piece instead of the four high one which was in the Gunship (7676). I’m looking forward to more detail of the control centre, and I suspect that the ‘left wing’ of the set viewed from a different angle will reveal a hanger type space (but undersized) that looks a bit more Hoth-like. My big hope is that the gantry / crane part and the shield generator are designed to be easily relocated to more suitable positions, e.g. near an X-Wing...
LL918

Postby The Brain » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:41 pm

LL918 wrote:Well I did think that the release of an image of the new Hoth set would have generated more discussion on FBTB by now than it has. They seemed to be going crazy over on Eurobricks when those first images came out.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5878

Gotta look around my friend. ;)
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby LL918 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:49 pm

@ The Brain - Don't worry, I had seen that rather short thread also, and was including it in my assessment of not much discussion on FBTB. I just thought that as that thread was in the "Finds & Deals" forum that it wasn't really the place for discussion about the set, more just its availability... and the images first appeared in this forum, so I commented here. But the front page article did link to the other thread, so who knows?
LL918

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:33 am

In retrospect I should have linked that article directly into this thread. That's my bad.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:43 am

Yeah, I found it curious that the discussion was occurring in the Finds/Deal forum too, but I figured that I'd just call attention to it if that's where the party's at. I'm not holding my breath for the price of the set, but if it somehow manages to be lower than I fear it will be, it's one that I would like to try to pick up. It does annoy me that they skipped a lot of Hoth-identifying items like an ion cannon or the power generator for the shield generator, but I suppose they can't do it all. My annoyance with their absence in this set would be assuaged if there was some indication that those might be individual sets in the future, since that would help allow them to (ideally) include more detail in each individual set. This set isn't what I'd call a "mess," though. As far as a playset goes, it looks like it'll have some decent features, and they did include some necessary Hoth parts like the bacta tank and T1-B. I mean, the set is clearly minifig-centric which seems to cause ire for most people, but at least there are some new figures that look pretty good. The base itself--while not exclusively Star Wars-eque--isn't the worst thing TLG has tried to dump on us. It looks like a pretty decent parts pack to me with some cool minifigures, if nothing else. My only real beef is the anticipated cost.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby deco_droid » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:36 pm

don't complain too much, or we're just going to get even more ship retreads next year. i for one, like playsets and something new for a change...
deco_droid

Postby ItsTwentyBelow » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:59 am

But deco droid, don't you see?
You say you like that it's something new for a change, but there has already been an Echo Base playset before! Did you forget? There is absolutely nothing "new" or exciting about this set other than R-3PO and Luke in the bacta tank. Nothing. Heck, maybe even tossing another Darth Vader into the mix would have spiced things up a bit. I'm so tired of seeing people praise EVERY set Lego releases like it's gold or something. They screwed up here and could have made a much more satisfying Echo Base than they did, and at the same price point. So little effort. You just can't defend this set.

And of course we'll get rehashed ships next year either way; it's inevitable. The movies have been so done to death at this point and the LSW license so old that there isn't really anything set worthy that hasn't been released yet. I guarantee that almost every never before released vehicle in 2012, if there are even any from the films, will be Clone Wars-themed.I can safely say that. I have the original versions of the most iconic vehicles and just can't justify spending money to buy them again as re-releases. I think the only real thing that could really pull the license up now, at least for us veteran LSW fans, is if that live-action Star Wars series gets off the ground soon.

What also baffles me is the timing of release of this set. Wouldn't it have made more sense to release it last year for the 30th anniversary of the movie? Maybe in place of the totally random Turbo Tank? And when this finally does reach the states, probably sometime in fall '11, the Hoth battlepacks will be nearing the end of their run. It's also sad that the odd "Empire at War" radar dish shield generator on the right and the weird laser turret/blue missile launcher pointed at the sky on the left are clearly supposed to represent the main shield generator and the ion cannon. LAME. The more I look at it, the more I think this whole set was just an afterthought for Lego.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I don't know why I'm being so adamant about making people realize how terrible this new set is. Maybe I've just been met with too much disappointment from Lego Star Wars recently, and was expecting a real "WOW" factor upon seeing pictures of this once-thought-to-be-rumored set, instead of a "Really, that's it? That's our Echo Base?" The line is really showing its age. That being said, there are definitely still a few on my list for this year.

*EDIT* :lol: I'm just looking at the pic now and noticed that there's a whole slew of guns in that little armory, but besides Leia, who is going to use them? Are they going to arm R-3PO, 2-1B, and a wounded Luke and send them into battle? :lol:
ItsTwentyBelow

Postby Shadowbreaker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:35 pm

The new Hoth base set is cool. I'm glad to see the Medical Droid body used again. Not to mention a red protocol droid... :D

Also, are they any good pictures of the new Droideka that comes with the N-1?
Shadowbreaker

Postby deco_droid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

uhhh, actually it is new. the 7666 was just a door and yet another snowspeeder. if anything THAT set was more lame than this one. anyway, i like that i can add all my hoth themed sets together to create my own hoth megaset. so to me, it's a win, just based on being something we've never had before.

only thing i am disappointed with is no ion cannon, but hey, there's always next year...

:lol:
deco_droid

Postby StoutFiles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:58 pm

How old are you deco?
StoutFiles

Postby batsamd » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:16 pm

In the "Movies" section of the LEGO Star Wars mini-site they have posted the commercials for the Republic Frigate and Podracers set.

I'm viewing the US website.
batsamd

Postby fallenangel327 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:32 pm

Shadowbreaker wrote:Also, are they any good pictures of the new Droideka that comes with the N-1?

Here you are; I found them last week:

fallenangel327

Postby Plo Koon » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:02 pm

When do the new sets come out for the US? I know they're available in other countries, so why is Lego waiting?
Plo Koon

Postby Feralcom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:44 pm

Plo Koon wrote:When do the new sets come out for the US? I know they're available in other countries, so why is Lego waiting?

This has always been the case as long as I have been collecting (about 3 years). Lego isn't a US-based company so the UK gets the first round (my guess).

I just hope that Maces Jedi Fighter can fly its way across the pond this summer. I am half-tempted to order from the UK. Im still mad the we didn't get the "STAP in a bag".
Feralcom

Postby onions » Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:38 pm

mace's will be a walmart exclusive and is scheduled with everything else: 8/1.

but will hopefully hit the shelves a little earlier. watch tru for the general release around early/mid july.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby onions » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:24 pm

oh yeah, one more thing,

if you're going to comic con, i've been told that the lego booth will have the whole summer line up available there.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby FarkonGnome » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:17 pm

The summer waves are available at TRU as well as their online site. I was able to pick up the pod racer set for my youngest child today from a brick and mortar TRU.
FarkonGnome

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:52 pm

FarkonGnome wrote:The summer waves are available at TRU as well as their online site. I was able to pick up the pod racer set for my youngest child today from a brick and mortar TRU.

What state are you from? I just checked their website and they are out of stock pending release. I called TRU a couple of days ago and they were not aware of the release date of the new summer sets. The sales clerk said they have a shipment coming in on Wednesday and to check back then.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby FarkonGnome » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:24 pm

SDIronClaw wrote:
FarkonGnome wrote:The summer waves are available at TRU as well as their online site. I was able to pick up the pod racer set for my youngest child today from a brick and mortar TRU.

What state are you from? I just checked their website and they are out of stock pending release. I called TRU a couple of days ago and they were not aware of the release date of the new summer sets. The sales clerk said they have a shipment coming in on Wednesday and to check back then.

Michigan, got them (picked up a new hero factory set too) from the Novi/Twelve Oaks location.
FarkonGnome

Postby SDIronClaw » Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:27 pm

FarkonGnome wrote:
SDIronClaw wrote:

Michigan, got them (picked up a new hero factory set too) from the Novi/Twelve Oaks location.

Hmmm....impressive. Guess it is only a matter of time then.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars