Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfight

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:43 pm

I may be alone in this, but I actually think this is a pretty cool set. Sure, it's a little pricier than it needs to be, but LEGO has a tendency to put these things on sale after a while. Overall, though, the design is nice and it captures the look of the "actual" ship quite nicely. I also happen to think the size of the R2 dome is about right and really makes the set pop.

As for the "iconic"-ness of the ship, I'd disagree. Sure, the PT ships haven't gained the level of recognition that the OT ones have, but that's just because they've had more time to reach those levels. I'm sure 20 years from now these ships will be just as fondly remembered as our X-Wings and TIE Fighters. Beyond that, to say this isn't one of the more prominent ships in the PT in hogwash. It's probably the ship with the most screen time in Ep. II. Between it's jumps into hyperspace, the chase with Jango, and the landing/transmission on Geonosis, I'd have to say that this is the "main" good-guy ship of Ep. II the way the Naboo Starfighter was for Ep. I and the Arc-170 and Jedi Interceptor were for Ep. III.

I, for one, am glad to see LEGO returning to it's ship-building UCS ways, as I've had enough of playsets. And can you honestly say this thing is worse than that giant General Grievous figure we got a few years back? I know I can't, and I actually kind of liked that set. Thank you, LEGO, for giving us AFOLs more larger, accurate display models. I can appreciate the effort.

Oh, and for those of you always complaining about a lack of interior in ships, now would be the time for you to insert your foot into your mouth. :D
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:47 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:I, for one, am glad to see LEGO returning to it's ship-building UCS ways, as I've had enough of playsets. And can you honestly say this thing is worse than that giant General Grievous figure we got a few years back? I know I can't, and I actually kind of liked that set. Thank you, LEGO, for giving us AFOLs more larger, accurate display models. I can appreciate the effort.

I get more comments on the General Grievous set than any other set I've had set up in my office at work. I just wish I would have bought more than 1 when they were on clearance for 29.
MisterFubar

Postby Robzula » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm fine with the big R2 head, whatever about the price, yadda yadda "prequel trilogy sucks".... The reason why I don't like this set is because it's ugly. The translation from the SNOT in the spine to the regular build in the wings just doesn't look right, the detailing is almost exclusively done with stickers, the wings are as little to wide and not sleek-looking enough. It's the design itself that makes this a "no" on my list.
Last edited by Robzula on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:07 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:As for the "iconic"-ness of the ship, I'd disagree. Sure, the PT ships haven't gained the level of recognition that the OT ones have, but that's just because they've had more time to reach those levels. I'm sure 20 years from now these ships will be just as fondly remembered as our X-Wings and TIE Fighters.

I'd have to disagree with you there, for three reasons- 1. The ships are not used to the extent that they are in the prequels. Looking through the original films, there's quite a few ships that are used in each film to a decent extent- TIE fighters, X-Wings, Y-Wings, the Millennium Falcon, Star Destroyer, etc., etc. Looking through the prequels, the ships change in each film. The starfighters you see in the second film are drastically different than the ones in the third film. AAT's, MTT's, and Naboo starfighters are barely, if never, seen past Episode I, and the ones that are are used so infrequently that they're barely worth mentioning. My second reason builds off of that- you never have character ships. To look at the original trilogy, Han Solo had the Falcon. Luke had his X-Wing. Vader had the Executor. Specific characters had specific ships- not present in the Prequels. Sure, Obi-Wan had this ship, but he ditched it the very next film for a newer model. Anakin had the Twilight, but that was only in the Clone Wars, and wasn't seen anywhere else in the trilogy. Third reason- Almost all of the designs are precursors to the OT designs. This is commonly known- ARC-170 is a precursor to the X-Wing, Jedi Starfighters are precursors to the TIE Fighter, Venator is a precursor to the Star Destroyer, and the list goes on. It's awfully hard to be iconic yourself when you're a known imitator of a previous design.

Oh, and for those of you always complaining about a lack of interior in ships, now would be the time for you to insert your foot into your mouth. :D

Cockpit interior.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Flynn wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:Oh, and for those of you always complaining about a lack of interior in ships, now would be the time for you to insert your foot into your mouth. :D

Cockpit interior.

How is that now? Most of the complaints I see lobbied are those against incomplete/missing cockpits. It also tends to be the most often modded feature. This set not only includes an interior but a very nice one at that. Therefore, I submit that my assessment stands and that certain people around here could stand to dine on some tasty toenail tenderloin.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:44 am

theJudeAbides wrote:
Flynn wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:Oh, and for those of you always complaining about a lack of interior in ships, now would be the time for you to insert your foot into your mouth. :D

Cockpit interior.

How is that now? Most of the complaints I see lobbied are those against incomplete/missing cockpits. It also tends to be the most often modded feature. This set not only includes an interior but a very nice one at that. Therefore, I submit that my assessment stands and that certain people around here could stand to dine on some tasty toenail tenderloin.

What, what's wrong with the interior? i mean, they could have thrown in a few greebles, but there's not much room for that...
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby kelano28 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:15 am

I agree with the sentiment that the ship's actual design is what puts a damper on this set. Easily one of the least interesting vehicles in the Star Wars universe. I think TLC did a great job on it (cockpit interior included), but I don't find this to be a must-have at all, especially at that price.

The Imperial Shuttle, however, feels like an iconic collector set. Even if you have to sell a kidney to get it.
kelano28

Postby dWhisper » Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:56 am

To extend the iconic comment, it was also the ship's involvement in the overall plot of the movie. In the OT, the ships were characters in and of themselves. Luke's X-Wing was flown into the Death Star, along with all of the other Y-Wings and X-Wings. A Star Destroyer opened the first movie and caught the princess. The Falcon saved the day and helped them all escape.

And with the cinematography, they were all featured close up, with long cuts that showed the ship and the detail. We saw the pilot for a flash, but then watched his A-Wing take out the bridge of the largest ship around (and turned him into what would be assumed to be a billion or so small fleshy bits).

Contrast that to the PT, where ships were simply props. The MTT was just a way to show all of the Battle Droids popping out. We were shown the insides of the cockpits and pilot reactions far longer than seeing the actual ships. They were often either just far-away specs (Episode I) and dated shots, or they were close-up blurs that shot by (II and III). They were never given the prominence that the ships were in the OT.

Greivous's ship was taken down by two Jedi Crashing into it and attacking from inside. There were no epic battles against giant super weapons, ships were just a way to move characters around the screen. And that means that the majority of people were never going to latch on like we did to OT ships. We could imagine shooting down a trench with an X-Wing. Who wanted to imagine being in a Jedi Starfighter playing tag in an asteroid field and then crashing?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby fallenangel327 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:06 pm

Looking through dWhisper's comment on how ships are iconic, I notice that there is one thing he left out - the Clone Wars. Where all the obscure and briefly seen starships in the Prequels are used intensively. I'd like you all to remember the very first episode of the series on Cartoon Network, with the line of Delta-7s flying through intensive battle scenes and Anakin's Azure Angel leading the fleet of V-19s over Muunilinst. More recently, there was also the Clone Wars movie, horrible in its storyline but still memorable for its shot of an AT-TE crawling up the side of a cliff. I think that when you take these as well as the Clone Wars comic books by Dark Horse into account, the Delta-7, among other ships which were relatively obscure in the movies, takes on a bigger role than we give it credit for.

There's also one more thing: Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter, which was out well before Obi-Wan's pathetic game of tag in Attack of the Clones. The first game justified the N-1's being a UCS set - Jedi Starfighter does the same thing. the Delta-7 gets a considerable amount of screen time in the game and, of course, plays quite a major role in the storyline.
fallenangel327

Postby Flynn » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:53 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:How is that now? Most of the complaints I see lobbied are those against incomplete/missing cockpits. It also tends to be the most often modded feature. This set not only includes an interior but a very nice one at that. Therefore, I submit that my assessment stands and that certain people around here could stand to dine on some tasty toenail tenderloin.

Most of the interior complaints I hear about the UCS sets come from the detractors of the USC Falcon and Shuttle, which both do not have any interior whatsoever other than their cockpits. To add to that, I believe every single UCS set save for the really huge ships (Blockade runner, Star Destroyer, etc.) has had a cockpit. Thus, when people complain about something missing, it's not really sufficient to point out something that's been there from the start and claim it to be what people have been missing.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:34 pm

Flynn wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:How is that now? Most of the complaints I see lobbied are those against incomplete/missing cockpits. It also tends to be the most often modded feature. This set not only includes an interior but a very nice one at that. Therefore, I submit that my assessment stands and that certain people around here could stand to dine on some tasty toenail tenderloin.

Most of the interior complaints I hear about the UCS sets come from the detractors of the USC Falcon and Shuttle, which both do not have any interior whatsoever other than their cockpits. To add to that, I believe every single UCS set save for the really huge ships (Blockade runner, Star Destroyer, etc.) has had a cockpit. Thus, when people complain about something missing, it's not really sufficient to point out something that's been there from the start and claim it to be what people have been missing.

If you want to see a UCS Falcon with an interior, this one is amazing:

[url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/23575410@N05/3857419733//url]
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby HelioCron » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:11 am

Having missed out on the first few years of Lego Star Wars I have been in envy of folks who have the first UCS sets (Tantive IV, X-wing, Y-Wing, etc). My first was the AT-ST, and I continued with Vader's Tie, Star Destroyer, DeathStar II, Greivious, the Falcon, and I even managed to find the Sand Crawler at Amazon NIB. My attraction to these models is the complexity, the design, and the time it takes to complete them.

Since the release of the Falcon, the UCS series seems to have lost its way. While I have still purchased sets such as the Death Star "diorama" and the re-released Tantive IV, I found myself doing so out of boredom, not necessarily for the challenge. Having said that, I am an avid collector, and do get all the set's when they come out. I often build the smaller ones with my kids (ages 9 and 5), so I am in no way disrespecting the Lego Star Wars designers. I just wish they would release a UCS set of greater scale.

I am looking forward to the Imperial Shuttle!
HelioCron

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:41 pm

harrison wrote:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/cavegod/P1010313.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/c ... 010312.jpg

Sweet! Did they give you one free early?

Also to note, I don't know if this has been brought up or not, but it should be flat. That was the major complaint of my UCS starfighter and I don't see why people should complain about it in a TLG model.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby SuperDave » Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:27 am

See my review here: FBTB Reviews.
SuperDave

Previous

Return to Star Wars