Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Ultimate Collector Series 10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfight

Postby cas » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:01 pm

When I first saw this set, I was excited, but the price, really? Normally, I accept LEGO's pricing on Star Wars themed sets, of course I don't buy many of the sets anymore, but this seems extraordinary disproportionate to previous UCS sets. Generally, UCS has had good price to piece ratios, but this is more in line with the current System scale set pricing.

I guess I just don't buy it.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby BlueDragonZ » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:55 pm

The set is now listed at LEGOShop.com.
BlueDragonZ

Postby RfAurora » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 pm

Its nice looking, and its one my list of possibles. I'm having a hard time debating between the lego sets and the new video games this year.
RfAurora

Postby CaptainPike » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:47 pm

The astromech droid head looks too big if you're expecting to fit a whole astromech in there. But it's not supposed to be whole droid. It's just head and "innards". And it's not a big craft if you remember Obi Wan standing next to it in AotC. The reason it looks wonky is because the droid head is mounted on an angle following the slope of the wing. It's supposed to be upright and level with the horizontal.
CaptainPike

Postby 316danny » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 pm

Is it just me, or is the video still not working?
316danny

Postby kelano28 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:04 pm

316danny wrote:Is it just me, or is the video still not working?

It's not, but you can use the S@H link a few posts before this and watch the video there. I wouldn't say it made me more excited for the set..
kelano28

Postby cdl444 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:20 pm

I cant believe they are charging 100 bucks for the set. I'll wait till its on sale if I end up getting one.
cdl444

Postby gunoz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm

Based on the model photo that was posted here the droid head is definitely too big. The model shows it to be about 1/3 the width of the wing, the UCS is about 1/2. Should've been 3x3. Plus, as it's also been pointed out, the angle is wrong, it should be level with the horizon. For a UCS set they should've gotten that right.

Now if this set would've had the hyperdrive ring I'm all in. But as it stands, at this price point, and with the overall blah factor of the ship (again, not really Lego's fault, it's what they had to work off of), this is definitely a wait til it's on sale purchase.
gunoz

Postby drdavewatford » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:09 am

Guys, if you think 100 bucks is expensive, spare a thought for us in the UK who will be required to shell out £94.99. That's 150 bucks in your money......

Agree that the price is extortionate; LEGO seem to be on a mission right now to squeeze the consumer as hard as possible to see how much we'll take. Given their profits it's understandable I guess - they're the Apple of the toy world right now and seem to be able to charge what they like - but could one of the ambassadors remind them that there's a recession on at the moment.....

The set itself looks OK, although it didn't excite me like the Imperial Shuttle did when I first saw the pics. Put that down to the original design rather than anything else, however - not LEGO's fault. No doubt I'll get it, but with so many awesome new sets in Q3 and Q4 (Imperial Shuttle, Tower Bridge etc. etc.) I don't think it'll be a big seller, so maybe some will be able to pick it up at a discount.

Dr. D.
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:20 am

Incidentally the German language version of the LEGO Shop page has 10215 described as Tower Bridge. The images are all of the Starfighter, but the text is that of the Tower Bridge set. The same goes for French language, only when I switched to English did I see the correct text.

Trying to access the actual 10214 Tower Bridge entry currently results in a "Server Error" page (different from the usual "not found").
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Super33 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:01 am

Not impressed. The UCS sets are the only thing that keep my attention on Legos and I'm always awaiting the new releases, but this.... it looks boring, I think the droid's head looks fine as it is, it's WAY over priced, I bought the AT-ST and Vader's advanced tie for less than that and they have many more pieces. To me it looks like just another lego set and not a UCS set. I won't be buying this one.
Super33

Postby harrison » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 am

i agree and considering i have my own ucs delta-7 i will save my money for something else, i wish they would do a ucs A-wing,tie bomber, tie fighter, b-wing, cloud car, speeder bike there was no reason for this set especially with the aniversary of TESB.
harrison

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:37 am

harrison wrote:. . .i wish they would do a ucs. . . cloud car, speeder bike. . .

Yes
harrison wrote:there was no reason for this set especially with the aniversary of TESB.

And yes
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby jamie75 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:32 pm

Personally, I think the dome looks good when you compare sizes with the Lego model and with the official pics. Perfect, no, but looks good!!

Now, I can't wait to see about getting afew more of those domes and making an R2 head for the UCS X-Wing and Y-Wing.

Jamie
Please support my Ewok Village: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/21668
jamie75

Postby Inzane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:21 pm

LOL. :facepalm:

No, I won't be buying this set.
Inzane

Postby majortom » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 pm

Ultimate Collector’s Series Obi-Wan’s Jedi Starfighter!
Equipped with twin laser cannons!
Features fully detailed cockpit interior!
The dome of Obi-Wan’s wing mounted R4-P17 astromech droid rotates!
Includes display stand, plaque and label sheet!
Model can be detached from display stand!
Measures 9 in (23 cm) high on stand, 18" (47 cm) long and 9" (22 cm) wide when built!

aww no flick fire missiles :P lol
majortom

Postby GrayMattR » Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:03 pm

I really like this model and don't care that there's no hyperdrive ring. No one swooshes their hyperdrive ring anyway. I think the proportions are good. The thing that strikes me the most is the printed droid head. I think the 3x3 would look better but having this big thing will get a lot of cool use around people's mocs. However, the price per piece is a real deal breaker for me.
GrayMattR

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:28 pm

As disproportionate as that astromech head may or may not be, I like it. Look forward to seeing that peice used elsewhere.

The rest of the set is just a "meh" from me. As many have said, the price is rediculous, the details are substandard for a UCS set, and the design itself is just bland. Curiously, though, I rather liked the original 2002 version of this ship, not sure why the design didn't bother me there.

But yeah, like most of the SW line this year, there's nothing really exciting here. Won't be picking this one up anytime soon,
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm usually not a quibbler on prices, since I own exactly one UCS set. It's not the thing for me, but even if it was, I'd have serious reservations about this set. Is there really that much special to justify the price tag? The ship itself isn't especially iconic, none of the PT ships are (except maybe the RGS or Venator - but not all that much). It didn't play a pivotal role in any of the movies... even the Naboo Fighter could claim a title like that.

Overpriced, stickers, not all that special. Shame LEGO just didn't make an A-Wing or something cooler...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Ted495 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I went from lukewarm to hot and saucy on the Shuttle now that these are my choices for my yearly lego splurge.

I just don't see the appeal for this ship, I think overall the ships in the prequels\expansion whatever it is are not as iconic as the original trilogy.
Ted495

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars