Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars OT DVD set? Worth it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars OT DVD set? Worth it?

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:11 pm

Guys, cool it. The book came out three years ago, which in a normal case would make spoilers a bit iffy - its easy for something relatively recent to be unknown to a fair chunk of the audience. However, with Harry Potter, we have something so 'big' that I would be happy to say nearly anyone who cares has read it/heard what happens. If you don't know/haven't read it, tread the Internet with caution. It's up to you to be vigilant, not the person posting something that is a big piece of popular culture. You can't expect all 2 billion Internet users to avoid a discussion of something on the off chance someone reads it.

The problem I had with Ted's post was that he started a complete tangent to the discussion with no reason.
Master Fetty

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Click at your own risk...

Spoiler: show
Darth Vader is Luke's father and Leia is his sister. In the second movie, well the 5th, the Empire Strikes back... hard. Obi-Wan's robes age remarkably well but his hair doesn't, and R2-D2 beeps a lot.

I hope I didn't ruin the magic for anyone. :D
MisterFubar

Postby legomatt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Master Fetty wrote:With Harry Potter, we have something so 'big' that...

That is the whole point. Millions of people will still be reading it/planning on reading it/waiting to see the movies of it.
It's just basic decency to realise that as it IS so big there'll be lots of people still interested in it, and therefore we should be careful not to ruin it for them.
Not everybody wears costumes, camps outside bookstores, and devours the first print before the ink is dry... those are the minority. The majority have not yet read all seven books to discover what happens in that last one.

Master Fetty wrote:The problem I had with Ted's post was that he started a complete tangent to the discussion with no reason.

Exactly. It was unnecessary, out of place, and without warning (and people are still going to think it's a star wars related spoiler and not a HP one), it was therefore impossible to avoid on a LEGO Star Wars forum no matter how vigilant a person is. It comes back to people being considerate in not using random spoilers in conversation. We've all been in conversations where somebody has suddenly stuck finger in ears, shouting 'LALALALA -haven't seen it'. We don't say to them "You should be more careful when talking to people". We change the subject, even if we are amazed they haven't seen it yet.

Take the 'proverbial' all you want Mister Fubar, but this is a Star Wars forum where you'd expect to find Star Wars discussion. I'm just glad I don't read HP... clearly nobody here gives a gorram.
legomatt

Postby Draykov » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:32 pm

Would everyone please untwist their underpanties? Situation is handled. Let's drop it.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Ted495 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:35 am

You know I had this whole long post typed up, but I didn't want to give anything away. My only response now is... Really? Three years later and its a spoiler? Really?

A spoiler is what I have on the trunk of my car. What happened here was relevant pop culture facts that you ruined for yourself by not taking the time in the last three years to .... gasp .... read.

You're fairly internet savvy to be here, therefore you experienced the internets. Its not a series of tubes. I do find it funny the people who said my post had no point and yet... HP and Star wars are the same EXACT story. The ridiculousness of your response just proves my point of how altering the movies\books of HP after the fact would be absurd, yet that happened to Star Wars. Thus showing why I approved this box set, since the original could be watched. Which is very, very important in my mind.

Hate to break to everyone, but every classic Greek tragedy has the exact same elements.
Ted495

Postby Master Fetty » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:21 am

Ted495 wrote:You're fairly internet savvy to be here, therefore you experienced the internets. Its not a series of tubes. I do find it funny the people who said my post had no point and yet... HP and Star wars are the same EXACT story. The ridiculousness of your response just proves my point of how altering the movies\books of HP after the fact would be absurd, yet that happened to Star Wars. Thus showing why I approved this box set, since the original could be watched. Which is very, very important in my mind.

While I think that both of those take ides from similar schools of thought and have fantastical inspiration, Harry Potter and Star Wars aren't THAT similar. To prove it, compare the ending of Deathly Hallows and ROTJ. Not that similar, are they?

And the problem people have is that this thread is about the OT DVDs. No one had mentioned Harry Potter, nor the plot of Star Wars, making your initial post pointless and against the flow of the thread. I agree with you that three years is plenty of time to make talking about Deathly Hallows acceptable, but on a place that warrants it.
Master Fetty

Postby Draykov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:47 am

Sorry, Nacho. This one went off the rails.

For the record, yes, for those of us too lazy or busy to have gotten around to actually reading the books, some of this stuff is not common knowledge. I think it's not unreasonable to expect, given that not all of the movies have made it to the masses yet. To boot, HP discussions DO NOT belong here, which is probably the bigger issue. While certain individuals did get a little more bent out of shape than was probably warranted, how hard is it to add a spoiler tag? If for no other reason than the fact that something was being revealed about HP in a thread where nobody should expect it to be. Anywho, sorry to be a "spoilersport," but this is why we can't have nice things...hopefully Nacho got what was needed out of this one.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Previous

Return to Star Wars