Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars OT DVD set? Worth it?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars OT DVD set? Worth it?

Postby nacho » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Hi everyone!

I thought I would consult my SW friends here at fbtb to see whether or not I should buy the DVD set. Borders has a coupon for 50% off on Star Wars items EXCEPT the Lego sets :facepalm:. Bummer! Anyway, I don't really have space for sets unfortunately.

The specific set I'm referring to is this one: link

I would buy the OT, of course. I call myself a SW fan and yet I don't even own the movies :p

I have read bits and pieces about the DVDs on the internet...are these the versions that replaced the original Boba Fett's voice with Temuera Morrison's? I don't approve of the change, but oh wellz.

I would love to hear what you all have to say about my pending purchase.

Thanks,

nach.

p.s. I don't say this enough, BUT I LOVE IT HERE! I missed this place so badly.
nacho

Re: Star Wars OT DVD set? Worth it?

Postby Master Fetty » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:35 am

Well as you haven't got them, I think that offer should be the perfect push for you to get them.

I'm pretty sure that boxset has two versions of each film - the original release and the S.E (from 2004), with all the changes. Its basically a repackaging of the 2006 release of each film separately.
Master Fetty

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:03 am

Yeah, according to Wookieepedia, that version is a re-packaging of the 2006 versions which, as Master Fetty said, contained two versions of the film. These were the 2004 versions of the films as well as the original version of the film (completely unaltered in any way).

You know, I've never really had that big of a problem with the various changes Lucas made, as they've generall improved the films. However, this set really is the best of both worlds, as it gives you the choice of which version you want to watch.

So yeah, if you don't already own the Star Wars DVDs, I'd pick it up.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:08 am

theJudeAbides wrote:You know, I've never really had that big of a problem with the various changes Lucas made, as they've generall improved the films.

Beg pardon?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Andi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:16 am

[quote="theJudeAbides"]These were the 2004 versions of the films as well as the original version of the film (completely unaltered in any way)./quote]

the one of 1977? It is finally on DVD?
Or do you mean the 1997 version?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Bulls_Eye » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:59 am

It's the original 1977 version. They came as bonus disks with the most recent versions.
Bulls_Eye

Postby nacho » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:07 am

Okay, so the two versions is a big plus for me. I might go ahead and get them then. [I might have to convince my mom to get it for my birthday, which is in less than a month]
nacho

Postby theJudeAbides » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:58 am

Flynn wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:You know, I've never really had that big of a problem with the various changes Lucas made, as they've generall improved the films.

Beg pardon?

What's your point? That many of the additional scenes rock so hard it that they have a tendency to melt faces? As I said, I agree.

Andi wrote:
theJudeAbides wrote:These were the 2004 versions of the films as well as the original version of the film (completely unaltered in any way).

the one of 1977? It is finally on DVD?
Or do you mean the 1997 version?

It's the very original 1977 version. They're included on the "bonus disc" (disc 2) for each movie. The "regular disc" (disc 1) contains the 2004 version, and they were released in this format in 2006 as individual DVDs (which I own) and again in 2008 as part of a 3-pack trilogy (which is the version he linked to).

Now Andi, I'm aware you live in Germany, so I'm not sure if all of this applies to you, as the only thing I know for sure is that these were released in America (NA versions). I would assume that they've been released in Europe (PAL versions) as well but I do not know this for a fact. I would suggest doing your own research to find out if this is the case.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby Flynn » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:37 am

theJudeAbides wrote:What's your point? That many of the additional scenes rock so hard it that they have a tendency to melt faces? As I said, I agree.

ಠ_ಠ

OK, if you wanna think that CGI Snootles and mind-bogglingly insipid songs "rock so hard", be my guest.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby UOldPirate » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:22 pm

theJudeAbides wrote:... I would assume that they've been released in Europe (PAL versions) as well but I do not know this for a fact.

They did do PAL versions of the Original Theatrical / Update combo DVDs. There is no box set, but you can buy all three OT 2-disc movies separately on Amazon.de . I love the German titles, Das Imperium Schlägt Zurück!
UOldPirate

Postby Andi » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:20 pm

thanks. I have a look at amazon. I wonder that i haven't read about this before, fans were waiting for so long for the original versions on DVD
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:39 am

theJudeAbides wrote:It's the very original 1977 version. They're included on the "bonus disc" (disc 2) for each movie.

I'm fairly sure I read at the time that it is not the original 1977 version. Allegedly Lucasfilm has lost much of the true original.

Wookieepedia says that it is based on the 1993 Laserdisc version and lists various issues related to the soundtrack and non-anamorphic transfer.

I must confess I've never actually watched the bonus discs close enough to spot any "problems". Next time I'm feeling really nerdy I might dig out my 1980s VHS copy and compare the two.

P.S.: http://www.fbtbforums.net/viewtopic.php?t=13103 I love a good Solo rant. ;)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby meeotch » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:09 pm

Solo from that thread just linked to... wrote:2: again, since they've contradicted so many of their own statements, I wouldn't be shocked if the OT got another update - not counting the 3D editions we are supposed to get next year.

Consider those words marked. Although the 3D versions have yet to see the light of day, apparently there is another version of the OT in the works. In one of the last 2 episodes of the ForceCast, Jimmy Mac spoke with two of the guys at Lusfilm Sound (Matt Wood and one other whose name escapes me) during an investigative report concerning the use of library sounds for the original (1977) Krayt Dragon scream that Obi-Wan makes to scare off the Tusken Raiders in the beginning of ANH. The discussion continued into the realm of the general process of remastering the films, and they had let slip something about how the Krayt Dragon scream (among other sounds) was being redone yet again for another version of the OT films, or at least ANH. Whether this is the fabled 3D release, a redo with some sort of bonus content for a Blu Ray release, or some new version with some even more ridiculous change like Leia never firing a shot at the Stormtrooper during her capture on the Tantive IV remains to be seen.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:12 am

Last I heard the 3D versions idea was scrapped. My guess is they are working on the Blu Ray set. And as far as them losing the original verisons of the film, that's a load of phooey too. I have the original theatrical editions on VHS from 1997. They exist in good shape.

AS far as that DVD set... yes! Totally buy it. That's be best definitive set of the movies thus far, and 50% off is a great deal.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby JPCJedi » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:13 pm

I'll just add, the best set is a 7-disk set with the dvd extras, so if you happen to like dvd extras, look for that. Otherwise, the 1977 versions are totally worth it. I got mine two or three years ago, and it was like... "these are the movies i fell in love with." There was a simplicity about them. That's what inspired the books in the 90s.
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Postby Ted495 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:39 pm

I bought this set for myself for Christmas, I was very happy with the purchase.

Once I got over the fact that the versions with all the added crap look about 50x better on my home theater, I'm very happy to have the option to watch the real OT on DVD and that until this time was on Laser Disc, or as I also own them on VHS.

Honestly nothing bothered me all that much except the edit of Solo shooting first. I have a shirt that says Han Shot First, and I think its very, very important for little kids the first time watching to be slightly unsure of what and who Han Solo is in that first movie.
Ted495

Postby nacho » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:20 pm

Spoiler: show
Wow. Ted, thank you for the reply, but spoiler tags would have been greatly appreciated. I haven't read the seventh HP book yet. From your post, I gathered that Ron leaves and Harry drowns. I skimmed through the rest.

I bought the set! I had reservations about it before, but the positive comments from everyone (and the tempting $25 off) made me confident about the purchase. I watched half of A New Hope in its original '77 release version, but enjoyed watching the rest in the newer version. My eyes just like shiny things, I guess.
nacho

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Spoiler: show
nacho wrote:Wow. Ted, thank you for the reply, but spoiler tags would have been greatly appreciated. I haven't read the seventh HP book yet. From your post, I gathered that Ron leaves and Harry drowns. I skimmed through the rest.

Wait... really? I must know the secret of how you can so adequately hide in a cave and avoid knowledge that I think was so widespread it was absurd. I haven't read anything past the second and still knew all of that info...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby legomatt » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:49 pm

(my post is based on what i thought i saw before averting my gaze, upon believing Harry Potter spoilers were being written above).

GUYS!!! Guys!!! A LOT of people are going to get seriously peed off if you don't completely edit out those Harry Potter spoilers in those above posts. Please, have some consideration for people that haven't read it yet. This thread is about Star Wars Original Trilogy DVD's! There is absolutely no reason for posting spoilers about Harry Potter here (no matter how many people you think know about it already).

And to the person who decided to repeat the spoiler, there are always people new to a book (or film), especially children, and mass-media reports are very easy to avoid if you wanted to.

And STOP quoting the offending passages! Avoiding a block-text spoiler is one thing, but to then see it repeated in an unavoidable single-sentence quote takes the biscuit for total incredulousness. :facepalm: :roll:

It's just basic common courtesy to not blab such stuff out.
Last edited by legomatt on Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
legomatt

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:55 pm

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books or even seen more than a couple of minutes of any of the movies and it doesn't bother me at all that someone spoiled it for me. Life goes on.

To the OP, yes you should own the OT on DVD.
MisterFubar

Next

Return to Star Wars