Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8099 MIDI Scale Imperial Star Destroyer Hi-Res Image

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

8099 MIDI Scale Imperial Star Destroyer Hi-Res Image

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:21 pm

Old news or not, the last time I showed a pic of 8099 I was asked to take it down. Now that it's up and for sale on the UK Shop@Home site, I guess it's okay to share now:

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/07/15/8099-midi-scale-imperial-star-destroyer-hi-res-image/
Staff

Re: 8099 MIDI Scale Imperial Star Destroyer Hi-Res Image

Postby vynsane » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Lots of nice pieces in this set. 1x2 cheese slope in light blue-gray! Also, that weird piece running behind the tuborlaser batteries - what is that piece?

I like how the plates overlap between the top and bottom wedges, looks very greeblicious.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:11 pm

It's this piece.

I am totally getting this, but it looks like it's going to need some fixing. That dark bley has to go.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Boyfromvalley » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:23 pm

Figures, I just ordered the mid scale Millenium Falcon off amazon and then suddenly this and all the other new sets become available. Guess I'll start working on getting Slave 1 and the Wampa Ice Cave.
Boyfromvalley

Postby MisterFubar » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 pm

I like it. The Midi scale sets are perfect for my office at work, they show off my love of SW and LEGO without taking up too much real estate.
MisterFubar

Postby Feralcom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:59 am

Only. Thing bad about my SW Lego sets is that Ihave to keep them all in storage bins. I only have room to display 3-4 sets.

This will go on the shelf next to my midi Falcon and mini sets.
Feralcom

Postby Diaaabo » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:36 pm

I'm not sure about it... I had bigger expectations for this set. Ah well, it's LEGO, I'll just MOD it the way I want :P
Diaaabo

Postby THX 1138 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:56 pm

I think this looks beautiful! I'll definitely be getting this.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:48 am

Looks great, but I think I'll wait until it drops to $25 like the Midi Falcon.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Flynn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:28 pm

Hm...that dark grey is a huge turn-off...Still, the model as a whole looks pretty dang nice. What's the piece count and price, does anyone know?
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby WillyWampa » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:17 am

The commments about the dark bley got me wondering what the correct colour is for the star destroyers. I seem to recall having a model kit many many years ago that had the instructions to paint the model white. I still have the kit somewhere (unbuilt) but it would take a long time to find it to check. Would it be better, and more accurate, if the star destroyer or the Millenium Falcon were done in white??
WillyWampa

Postby cas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:05 am

They'd be production accurate if they were white, but not screen accurate. Many of the ships in a New Hope that look gray were painted a shade of white because gray paint came across too dark in many of the original shots during filming. In any case, many of the ships (the Falcon and Star Destroyer) are supposed to look gray.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:33 pm

Looks pretty white to me, though LEGO's white wouldn't work for it. Light bley is just about perfect. I agree the dark bley doesn't really have any place in this model, but I don't think it necessarily detracts from the look. Plus it's all unnecessary pieces which are easily replaced in light bley, so it wouldn't be that big of a deal to switch them out or leave them off entirely.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby vynsane » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:47 am

I think it's fine with the dark bley - it adds a bit of variation to an otherwise monochrome build that way. They probably prototyped it in all light bley, took a step back and said "Woah, that's boring looking!" Plus think about how useful having all those light and dark bley pieces will be for greebles on MOCs. For some, it's not about the final model, but it's the pieces.

vynsane

Postby fallenangel327 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:45 am

I would disagree vynsane. Every time LEGO releases a set of a starship of vehicle that is all or mostly grey, they tend to botch it by adding a lot of darker/lighter shades of grey (or less recently, tan), which leaves a set looking quite unlike its movie counterpart, color-wise. I think even the 7657 AT-ST or the 7663 Sith Infiltrator (or the 7778 Midi-scale Millennium Falcon) would have looked much better if their hulls were the color they were supposed to be.
I believe cas is correct about the actual studio models being white:
http://www.theforce.net/swtc/Pix/Xbarbican/eydc5/5r14isd.jpg
The photo is from theforce.net and is supposedly the model of the Devastator that was used in the film. It's clearly white. However, it obviously looks more grey in the film.

As for the set itself, I'm not so sure whether I'll be picking it up - the accuracy of the model (proportions and whatnot) are stil debatable from that one shot. And after all, it wasn't until I actually bought 7778 that I noticed how horribly off the proportions were. (For one, those mandibles are obscenely large.)
fallenangel327

Postby vynsane » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:13 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:I would disagree vynsane. Every time LEGO releases a set of a starship of vehicle that is all or mostly grey, they tend to botch it by adding a lot of darker/lighter shades of grey (or less recently, tan), which leaves a set looking quite unlike its movie counterpart, color-wise.

I never said that it looked like the movie counterpart, just that it doesn't necessarily bother me that it's different. It's an interpretation, not a direct translation. Does it bother you that it also has LEGO studs all over it? The original movie model didn't have anything like that!

vynsane

Postby MrCRskater » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:29 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:The photo is from theforce.net and is supposedly the model of the Devastator that was used in the film. It's clearly white. However, it obviously looks more grey in the film.

This is called "movie magic." There is a lot of lighting involved in creating a given camera shot and/or effect. Though the original model is white, you can be sure that grey was the intended color of the ship on-screen.

Back on topic, it looks to me that the midi star destroyer suffers the same setbacks that the midi Falcon did. Though I don't believe the scale to be restrictive, it seems TLG and/or the designers have decided to limit the variety of pieces they are willing to employ for these sets, so many of the attempted details end up looking wrong. Of course, I appreciate the gesture of making larger ships available to a wider audience at lower cost. But if the look of the midi-scale is marginally passable, it almost isn't worth the price of the bricks ($0.10 per piece), let alone worth the surely inflated price that they will try to float this at.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby fallenangel327 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:15 am

With more views of the midi-scale Star Destroyer on S@H, I think my fears have been realized:
http://shop.lego.com/Product/AssetPopup.aspx?p=8099&AssetType=49&s_button=moreViews
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080927200457/starwars/images/2/26/Isdsideview.jpg

It's clear from the photo comparison that LEGO's rendition is quite stocky and too stubby compared to the actual ship. The bridge section looks all wrong.
http://shop.lego.com/Product/AssetPopup.aspx?p=8099&AssetType=49&s_button=moreViews
It's also evident from this view that the shape of the ship is not quite right, I think the taper should be wider. Whatever happened to those 4x8 wing plates LEGO uses so much?
fallenangel327

Postby vynsane » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:09 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:With more views of the midi-scale Star Destroyer on S@H, I think my fears have been realized:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080927200457/starwars/images/2/26/Isdsideview.jpg

It's clear from the photo comparison that LEGO's rendition is quite stocky and too stubby compared to the actual ship. The bridge section looks all wrong.

The wiki image you posted has far too many shadows on the bottom to really determine the height of the main hull of the ship. I contend that, were the bottom more visible, it wouldn't seem as different as you think. Also, that side-view from the LEGO picture viewer had a weird little handle thing underneath which made me wonder... and the description of the product clinched it:

Display the model using the convenient stand!

WOOT! My #1 complaint about the MSMF was the fact that it didn't come with a stand. That's AWESOME news. Movie inaccuracies aside, I'm going to buy the HELL out of this thing!

It's also evident from this view that the shape of the ship is not quite right, I think the taper should be wider. Whatever happened to those 4x8 wing plates LEGO uses so much?

The 4 x 8 wedge plate (the one with the corner cut off, right?) hasn't been in production since 2004. It was basically replaced by the 3 x 6 wedge plate, and augmented by the 2 x 3, 2 x 4, 3 x 8, 3 x 12 wedge plates. There's a lot more choice in wings these days.

vynsane

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:49 pm

vynsane wrote:
Display the model using the convenient stand!

WOOT! My #1 complaint about the MSMF was the fact that it didn't come with a stand. That's AWESOME news. Movie inaccuracies aside, I'm going to buy the HELL out of this thing!

Ho hum... All it is is an axle and pin connector with a round pin connector on either side. Add a long blue technic pin to hold the pieces together and a short red axle to attach it to the ship.

Image + Image + Image

It's basically the bare minimum required to keep the ship upright when on display. In that respect the MF's landing gear meant it did not need a "stand".
Gingerbeard Man

Next

Return to Star Wars