Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 pm

theJudeAbides wrote: Additionally, I'm glad to see them giving the Imperials some love. Other than the Star Destroyer and TIE Interceptor, they've largely ignored the Imperials in the UCS line (Meanwhile, the rebels have the X-Wing, Y-Wing, Snowspeeder, Tantive IV, and Millenium Falcon).

Largely ignored? 10143, 10174, and 10175 cause me to take issue with that statement. :)
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:19 am

Aharown wrote:The price is very reasonable for Canadians, especially when compared with the Dropship/Walker set.

It's only $40 less though, and the walker dropship was actually two separate vehicles which made the price seem more bearable (even though it had much fewer pieces than this). Unfortunately no matter how cool a set is, a whopping $310 will never seem reasonable in my mind. I may winch and buy it eventually but at full price I'll never feel like I'm getting a great deal. This set looks ultra cool, but falls down a bit in terms of functionality and minifig playability. I keep thinking of the other Lego Designer video they just put up last month of the new space shuttle, that thing has an interior (in addition to the cockpit) plus functioning landing gear, so why can't this model have the same?
Blacknight

Postby legomatt » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:27 am

It's a worthy addition to the Lego Star Wars line, most definitely. A very nice looking model. Unfortunately for me, it's a price i will not be able to afford (UK), no matter how low the price per piece ratio may be.

Slightly off topic, my biggest concern with the UCS kits, Architecture series, Licenses, and so on, is that the price these kits fetch seems to have encouraged lego to chase the wealthier customer more so than ever before, and have dragged other kits' prices up with them. As an average guy with ends to meet I'm definitely beginning to feel squeezed out of the lego hobby, even when buying non-license sets for my nephews, it feels like every new kit has raced upwards towards the £50 mark, if not £100. Just my two penny worth... wanted to say it.

Back on topic: Amazing kit. Nicely done.
legomatt

Postby hockeyboy89 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:29 pm

What the gripe about a freaking ramp?? Its a model meant for display not for playing. I sure as heck can't wait for it, and the fact that it doesn't have a ramp doesn't bother me at all. It will still display just fine. Doesn't take much to ruffle feathers here.
hockeyboy89

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:50 pm

An iconic ship from the classic movies and the set looks great; it can go on my (ever-increasing) list of "SW Lego sets I'd like but can't afford - and which will inevitably be sold-out or retired before I have the money..." :facepalm:

I agree that the ramp would have been a nice touch (even if it had just been a drop-down ramp that didn't actually lead to a hollow interior) but, looking at the design of the thing, I can see why that might have led to many problems with the integrity of the structure. A shame but hardly a deal breaker.

Actually, from my point of view, I quite like the fact that the official Lego designs can't always include all of the the features we might otherwise want and that, sometimes, deliberate omissions that have to be made in the production stage. It's those sort of design choices which ultimately make Lego so great for me: with any other toy the design "is what it is" and you're stuck with it - but with Lego if you don't like it or you want extra detail you just get out a whole bunch of parts, play with the design and MOC it until you get what you want! :D

I've happily modded all sorts of things on big models - like the cockpits and interiors of the 4504 MF and the 4483 AT-AT - until I've got them just how I want them. It's *at least* as much fun as building the original sets...! ;)
Blue Squadron

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:50 am

We should be able to build the ramp out of the extra pieces.

(In the video the designer says 65% him and 45% from the MOCer, thats 110%, and a heck of a lot of extra pieces :lol: )
Flesh Skywalker

Postby MrCRskater » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:21 am

Blacknight wrote:This set looks ultra cool, but falls down a bit in terms of functionality and minifig playability. I keep thinking of the other Lego Designer video they just put up last month of the new space shuttle, that thing has an interior (in addition to the cockpit) plus functioning landing gear, so why can't this model have the same?

To echo Jude's observations, the UCS line is really aimed at creating impressive models for display, not "functionality" or "playability." Though the Sandcrawler and Death Star playsets were sort of included in the UCS line (by number only), they're not really true UCS sets. As Blacknight pointed out, the new space shuttle does have an interior, but two things differentiate it from the Lambda shuttle: 1) it is not being marketed specifically as a collector's set or display model (as the UCS line is), and B) even if you do view it as a display model, the interior is arguably a key visual component of this set as it would make sense to display it with the satellite deployed.

The interior is decidedly not a key visual component of the Lambda shuttle. How much interior do you actually see in the movie? You see four seats in the cockpit. And when you have this set on display (as it is meant to be), would you really display it in such a way as to feature 4 seats in a cockpit? Of course not! The "wow" factor of this set is that it is so impressive in stature and exterior detail.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:16 pm

This is how I would display it if I got one; with the Emperor emerging from the ramp. ;)

[/nitpicking]
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby that guy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:39 am

I don't think it's been posted here yet but this set is officially on Lego.com with a release date of Sept 1st. I can't wait!!!
http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.as ... =416&d=322
that guy

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:04 pm

GIR3691 wrote:This is how I would display it if I got one; with the Emperor emerging from the ramp. ;)

Fair enough. Then in this case, the ramp does not need to be functional, so this would be a mind-numbingly simple mod for your display purposes!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby THX 1138 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:26 pm

This looks like a very beautiful set. However, I don't think I'll be getting it, between the price and the size. I just don't have enough room for huge sets like this. I would've preferred a set that was about $100 and had a shuttle that was better and only a little bigger than the previous ones, as well as a landing platform.
Do a barrel roll!
THX 1138

Postby batsamd » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 pm

The set does look nice, but I'll be passing on it as well, for the before mentioned reasons of cost and space.

Also, the set doesn't have any exclusive figures.

I have the Imperial Inspection set and I think that shuttle will do fine for me.
batsamd

Postby ricefields » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:39 pm

not exclusive minifigs that will be hot, pricey, and highly sought but the pilot is new (new torso). I was hoping lego eventually released a black version of kepi to build the diorama with both grey and black imperial officers. Alternative was to get juno's hat and added to the old imperial pilot from 7166. I am hoping there will be aftermarket dump on this minifig as well as the new grey imperial minifig (his face is a variant) but probably wait until the magnet version comes out.
ricefields

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:56 am

I'm wondering how well this is going to sell, after reading the comments here and on another Star Wars collecting forum. Everyone seems to agree that it is awesome, but too big and expensive for them. The SW collectors were also complaining that they already have a shuttle or two and this is an insta-skip for them.

The Imperial shuttle is iconic to an extent but in no way close to the Falcon. The other recent large sets were very playable (AT-OT, Death Star) or just epic (Falcon). This one looks to be going the way of the UCS AT-ST and hitting clearance before the end of its run.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Honestly, I don't think this is a terribly iconic ship. I didn't really pay any attention to it growing up with the movies, didn't have any micromachines of it, didn't really even KNOW about it until I got Rogue Squadron 2. I guess the whole "The Emperor came out of it" reasoning is there, and the "They used it to get to Endor" but basically that just leads to thinking it's a taxi. Also in those scenes it's rarely shown, most scenes involving Lambs are on the landing ramp, with it in the background, or in the cockpit. It is a very neat ship, but iconic? I'd say no.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby jomandybri » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:58 pm

Australian pricing confirmed on S@H- AUD$449.99 :|

Looks like I'll be importing this...
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby SDIronClaw » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:05 pm

Robzula wrote:Honestly, I don't think this is a terribly iconic ship. I didn't really pay any attention to it growing up with the movies, didn't have any micromachines of it, didn't really even KNOW about it until I got Rogue Squadron 2. I guess the whole "The Emperor came out of it" reasoning is there, and the "They used it to get to Endor" but basically that just leads to thinking it's a taxi. Also in those scenes it's rarely shown, most scenes involving Lambs are on the landing ramp, with it in the background, or in the cockpit. It is a very neat ship, but iconic? I'd say no.

I agree, how about Lego doing a UCS Calamari Crusier, or Venatar Attack Crusier, or better yet a SSD.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby vippy » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:18 pm

It is available at S@H as of now.
vippy

Postby Lego Conductor » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:23 pm

Just order one from Lego Shop at Home. Can't wait, looks like a fun build and what a great looking set!
Let's Erect Great Objects
Lego Conductor

Postby Draykov » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:07 pm

SDIronClaw wrote:
Robzula wrote:Honestly, I don't think this is a terribly iconic ship.

I agree...

I think it's no less iconic/impactful than the Rebel Blockade Runner or an Imperial Probe Droid (see where I'm going with this?). It served as the Rebel's means of getting by Imperial forces to land on Endor, not to mention as the mount to both Darth Vader (the opening scene no less)and the Emperor during their respective arrivals to the second Death Star. I don't know if "iconic" is the right word, but it is definitely recognizable and substantial.
Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars