Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby Solo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:14 pm

International pricing variations is never just about exchange rates. We've been over this a hundred times.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Duckman » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:46 pm

Solo wrote:International pricing variations is never just about exchange rates. We've been over this a hundred times.

This is true. But its certainly not going to stop people buying lego from overseas, when you factor in the shipping and its still cheaper to import lego into Australia from a reseller, than to pay double the US price in the equivalent Australian dollar for lego sets in Australia. Everyone in Australia has been doing it for many many years. Its unfortunate, but there are so many factors such as the high shipping costs and taxes that are put on sets coming into Australia (one is told anyway). It just means resellers in the US and Asia are Australian customers' best friends, and at the end of the day, it ironically helps the US economy and the asian economy overall and stiffs the booming Australian economy, so .... here's to helping our fellow mates in the US.... cheers. When will Australia learn.
Duckman

Postby brownie69yov4 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm going to vent and I don't care if it has been beaten to a dead horse or not, its how irritated I am... WHY CANNOT LEGO INCLUDE A RAMP ON ANY OF THEIR SHUTTLES? yes I just used caps... if this is UCS and detail is the point, that why not include one of the most important features on the ship. I would have rather have seen 2 seats in the cockpit if it meant adding a ramp. The ramp is shown how many times? We see Vader exit it, and of course the big reveal of the Emperor in Ep.VI. I don't believe it has anything with the structure of the ship or the stability. It just doesn't make sense. Sure I can buy it and MOD it but for $260... Maybe TLC thought if they included a ramp it had to lead to an interior, but it could have just been a ramp that leads to a solid wall with a sticker similar to the Death star play set in the detention block section, where a sticker serves as an optical illusion for a long hallway. Even pics of the shuttle set shows the crew section is very simple, just simple benches that line the side...
This is still one of my favorite vehicles in the Star Wars universe. I just wish that TLC could do the great detail and a great interior for once. I know it would have been impossible on the USC Falcon, because of structure stability and the piece count of an interior would have been insane, but here... I don't know....
Oh well... I vented... Don't be mad at me.

br()wnie
brownie69yov4

Postby jasonjunker » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:43 am

this thing is quite beautiful.
jasonjunker

Postby GIR3691 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:15 am

It is a very impressive set. I will likely not be getting one, but I do enjoy looking through the pictures.

brownie69yov4 wrote:WHY CANNOT LEGO INCLUDE A RAMP ON ANY OF THEIR SHUTTLES?

:lol: I didn't even realize that until now. Was too impressed with the overall structure. The ramp is probably the most important feature aside from the cockpit, as those are all we really see of the interior. Major omission from the designers.I suppose that gives everyone something to modify. I would assume anyone displaying it in landing mode would want to have the Emperor coming out of it as well. Vader, the Emperor, two guards and two pilots would have made more sense in that regard.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby brownie69yov4 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:01 am

Vader, the Emperor, two guards and two pilots would have made more sense in that regard.

I could not agree more GIR3691. All of the summer sets have some sort of inclusion of new figs, whether it is the Hoth Luke and Wampa or the Beautiful new Boba Fett and Bossk. For a UCS, we are litereally getting 5 figs that have been made available in the past. I know I am spoiled with the new Death star playset which included a lot of these figs, and I know not everyone has them, but the shuttle would have been even more enticing if say it included an emperor with a calm face (not the " I'm going to cook you up with me blue lightning" look) and maybe the imperial dignitaries or whatever these guys are http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/index.php ... icleid=449. At least giving us figs we don't already have any wouldn't get any other place. I know it sounds like all I am doing is complaining. It is a truly beautiful set and design and will definitely try and get my hands on it this year

br()wnie
brownie69yov4

Postby legofett » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:45 pm

I know from what it looks like there is no boarding ramp, but has this officialy been confirmed? P.S. Why does that male Shuttle pilot have Juno boobies? :shock:
legofett

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Vader, the Emperor, two guards and two pilots would have made more sense in that regard.

Why? The situation that they want to put it in is when Luke gives himself up on Endor. Plus, they've already done that situation with the previous two shuttles, so I guess they wanted to change it up.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Erahtapivar » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:09 pm

legofett wrote:I know from what it looks like there is no boarding ramp, but has this officialy been confirmed? P.S. Why does that male Shuttle pilot have Juno boobies? :shock:

Seeing that it was at the Lego booth at Brickworld, it's confirmed.

As for the odd torso, I think that it is either laziness or a way to save more money by not printing a new torso for a male character...which is still laziness.
"Reality continues to ruin my life."--Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

"College or Bust!" at http://www.odddoodles.webs.com!
Erahtapivar

Postby Robzula » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:32 pm

He doesn't have boobs, he has pecs. The torso wasn't reused, Juno's body is curvy, the shuttle pilot's body isn't, and his chest isn't quite as defined as hers.
Last edited by Robzula on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Morgan19 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:36 pm

*zing!* to the bandwagon-jumping no-research torso haters. ;)

I've never been too terribly interested in the giant bank-breaking UCS sets (like the Falcon), but the shuttle has always been my favorite ship from the OT and the set itself is gorgeous. I'm actually baffled as to why things like the ramp are being nitpicked-- that seems more like a play feature, but eh. I'm not going to let it stop me from setting funds aside and picking this up come fall. LEGO and the designer(s) have really got a special model on their hands here.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Blacknight » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:17 pm

Even the UCS Falcon had a movable ramp so this is hardly a nitpick IMO. Hopefully the Lego community can get together after this is released and draw up instructions for a modified version of the shuttle that has a ramp and some sort of interior for the passengers.
Blacknight

Postby banthafodder » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:42 pm

I think why so many are nitpicking over the ramp, myself included, is that it is so iconic to the ship. One of the things that made the shuttle so cool, and I think why so many fondly remember it, is the dramatic entrance of Vader and the Emperor via the ramp. If it weren't for these scenes it might just be another transport ship. With the UCS Falcon we had several of the iconic features of the ship to recreate scenes even without an interior. These included the boarding ramp, the cockpit, and the gunner's seat. As impressive as this ship is, and I too will get it, it falls short in this one important area of scene recreation. It's a lot easier creating a death star scene with Vader or the Emperor exiting the shuttle than to paste a little speech bubble above the display with Luke stating that he's jeopardizing the mission.
banthafodder

Postby DutchRebel » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:16 am

Lots of folks on this thread are disappointed for not having a ramp on the fantastic shuttle. I also thought it was missing, but seeing this makes me uncertain... any thoughts?

DR
DutchRebel

Postby Robzula » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:37 am

The more I see of this, the less I want it. UCS is meant to be for those ships that need something huge to fit in all the tiny details, like the Falcon or ISD. This ship, as it's been pointed out, is known for its sleekness. There aren't terribly many greebles or details that needed to be added to this ship, so the only real difference between this and the old minifig one is that it's bigger. It's like the N1, while that one was much better than the original minifig one that came out when accuracy was much worse than today, all the newer minifig one is missing that was in the UCS set is the chrome pieces. It's a sleek ship, it's a sleek model, UCS is unneccesary. Then there's the fact that the landing gears have to be detached. THAT really irks me with this set. I just gotta say I'd rather get a Lamb off of Bricklink for ~$50 than drop an extra $200 for a bigger one.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:01 am

I think you're reaching DutchRebel. Nothing in that picture implies a ramp, especially considering the rest of the images so far showing the cockpit setup. Fact of the matter is in order for them to include a ramp and have it look decent the shuttle needs to have landing gear that is taller than a minifig... so wither it'll be on stilts, or it will be ridiculously oversized.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby jasonjunker » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am

I don't think... based on that Design video and based on where they show the mini-figs sitting, that there will be a ramp.

I'm in the camp that doesn't care. it's a nice looking set, and the jury's still out if I'll buy one. It's nice, I think it's well done, but not an "must-have" for me.
jasonjunker

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

If there really was a ramp, why wouldn't they show us in the video or pictures?
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby Aharown » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:03 pm

I suspect they couldn't include the ramp, otherwise the cockpit would fall apart with it included.

I really don't mind, and I'm not sure why everyone seems so upset. It's an awesome set, and looks to be very sturdy. Having things not fall off while I'm swooshing, or have the model inverted, is a major plus for me.

The price is very reasonable for Canadians, especially when compared with the Dropship/Walker set.

I'll be getting this set for sure! XD
<><
Aharown

Postby theJudeAbides » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 pm

I have to admit I'm pretty excited about this. It's been a while since LEGO has done an honest-to-goodness UCS style set (the various playset models are NOT UCS). I think the last truly UCS models was the MF, so I'm glad to finally see them return to it. Additionally, I'm glad to see them giving the Imperials some love. Other than the Star Destroyer and TIE Interceptor, they've largely ignored the Imperials in the UCS line (Meanwhile, the rebels have the X-Wing, Y-Wing, Snowspeeder, Tantive IV, and Millenium Falcon).

To be honest, I've never cared that much about interiors in the UCS line. The UCS line is all about capturing the overall look of the craft as accurately as possible. Any interior provided is secondary to this and should not be made at the expense of the former. Look at any previous UCS model and you will see this. If you want playability, buy a System set; if you want a highly detailed, very accurate display model, buy the UCS set. It's just that simple.

This baby looks like the real deal, so I guess I'm gonna have to start saving.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars