Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:39 pm

Massive holes? Are we looking at the same set?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby FarkonGnome » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:51 pm

LEGO has also released another video diary from the set designers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0H1feph ... r_embedded
FarkonGnome

Postby onions » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:19 pm

forgot about the video
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Marty » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:18 pm

Wonderful looking model, a must for any desk, overall a nice piece, price a bit expensive though worth it.
I'm glad to see that Lego is going back to the basic movie ships, never did like the other movies and thought there was a lot left unfinished. Hopeful I'll be seriously looking at this one.
Two sore points, no front ramp underneath and the Emperor and his sidekicks & guards should have been included not the figures shown other than that a nice job, regards Marty
Marty

Postby banthafodder » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:22 pm

I'm impressed in the video that they are acknowledging some of the fine MOCs of FOLs and designing some sets that we are really going to enjoy. I thought initially that it was going to have retractable landing gear but after seeing the video that is not the case. This begs the question as to why they did not extend the height of the landing gear so a boarding ramp could be done. This was one of the iconic details of the ship, watching him come down the ramp in the death star. Even though this is still a whole lot of awesomeness wrapped in an "oh yes I will have this" burrito, I do fell a little let down.
banthafodder

Postby etcknight » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:51 pm

Just for comparison. :cool:

etcknight

Postby Solo » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:28 am

That's a Hallmark ornament, so the accuracy can't be fully trusted.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby skyward72 » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:41 am

banthafodder wrote:I'm impressed in the video that they are acknowledging some of the fine MOCs of FOLs and designing some sets that we are really going to enjoy. I thought initially that it was going to have retractable landing gear but after seeing the video that is not the case. This begs the question as to why they did not extend the height of the landing gear so a boarding ramp could be done. This was one of the iconic details of the ship, watching him come down the ramp in the death star. Even though this is still a whole lot of awesomeness wrapped in an "oh yes I will have this" burrito, I do fell a little let down.

Wonder if the fan is getting 45% of the profit ;)
skyward72

Postby galaxyfe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:05 am

posted on eurobricks, official description;

10212 – Imperial Shuttle™, Ages 16+. 2,503 pieces, US $ 259.99 CA $ 309.99 UK £ 239.99 DE 259.99 €

The elegant Lambda-class Imperial Shuttle™ transports the Empire’s elite and the occasional secret strike team of Rebel commandos all across the galaxy. Now you can build this huge and iconic Star Wars™ vehicle in true minifigure scale for the first time ever! The Imperial Shuttle is authentically detailed with rotating double laser wing cannons and a four-seat cockpit. This Ultimate Collector’s model features an opening canopy, detachable landing gear, a stand for display in flight or landing modes, a labeled display plaque, and gear-driven folding wings with removable activation keys. Completed model measures 28" (71 cm) tall on stand and 22" (57 cm) wide with wings deployed. Includes 5 minifigures: Darth Vader™, Imperial Pilot, Imperial Officer, Stormtrooper and Luke Skywalker™.

* Includes 5 minifigures: Darth Vader™, Shuttle Pilot, Imperial Officer, Stormtrooper™ and Luke Skywalker™.
* Features rotating double laser wing cannons!
* Open the cockpit roof to access the interior and seat the minifigures inside!
* Wings fold up and down by turning 2 keys on rear of model!
* Model can be displayed on landing gear or landing gear can be removed to display in flying mode!
* Includes display stand, name plate and label sheet!
* Measures 28" (71 cm) tall on stand and 22" (57 cm) wide with wings deployed!
galaxyfe

Postby galaxyfe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:06 am

also posted on eurobricks, an extremely awesome reason why the shuttle looks so much like DMac's.

Dear Eurobricks users,

This is dmac speaking, courtesy of Mr Backbone of LUGPol.
You know, about that imperial shuttle of mine...

1) I began working on my shuttle in 2004. In 2007 I took the finished model to my friend, a LEGO designer in Billund - some of you may know him as Misterzumbi - and a bunch of his friends. As it happens, they were the Star Wars team, responsible for all the SW LEGO models we love so much. It seemed that my work was well appreciated but nothing happened.

2) I was surprised when 18 months ago Misterzumbi asked me, without any further explanation, to sign a "Declaration of secrecy". I signed. As it turned out, he was chosen to build a UCS version of the Lambda Shuttle and encountered a serious problem: certain sections of the ship, as he'd put it, "could not be done any better" than in my model. However, being a great friend, he also said: "I'm not going to use your ideas if it's not OK with you." He did not have to do it - according to company's lawyers, copying the model without my permission would be perfectly legal (however morally questionable), since SW copryrights belong to Mr Lucas and my model already was, in a way, a public domain.
And guess what - I agreed happily. Never even thought of demanding money. To me, sharing my ideas with Misterzumbi was as close to being a LEGO designer as it gets. So I'm happy and proud. Wouldn't you be?

3) In fact, our models are far from being identical. Similarities, however obvious, do not exceed some 25% of the entire model. Landing gear is different, parts of the hull are different, guns are different, the guts are different (no electric motors in the official model, for example). That's why I'm talking about "Misterzumbi using some of my ideas". The 10212 model is, in fact, HIS. And it's great. Some even say it is better than mine :) .

4) It is a matter of days, I suppose, before you all see an official Internet advertisement (or rather a short movie starring Misterzumbi ;) ) and learn a lot more about the new set and how exactly it came to exist - if only this part doesn't get cut. Judging by your response to the recent pictures, you will enjoy it just as much as I enjoy having a small input to the work of art called 10212.

Yours truly,
dmac
galaxyfe

Postby galaxyfe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:07 am

galaxyfe

Postby onions » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 am

thanks galaxyfe. do you not realize this is information that's already in the op?
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby etcknight » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:01 am

Solo wrote:That's a Hallmark ornament, so the accuracy can't be fully trusted.

Point taken - although I still think it's a more accurate representation that the Lego Co model. Here's a pic of the official Lucas movie model.
etcknight

Postby RfAurora » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:26 am

Can't...stop...drooling... I want this set, although I unfortunately don't know if I'm willing to set aside some of hte money I have going to the new video games coming out in September. Overall, I am looking forward to this set, and if I do get it, might do a little tweaking of my own.
RfAurora

Postby that guy » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:48 am

While a bit trivial (and I'm possibly wrong on this point), but what's up with them using Juno Eclipse in the set and calling her an "Imperial Pilot". Am I the only one that thinks that's weird?
that guy

Postby dakdogba » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:36 pm

I want this, but at current exchange rates, the Euro price is 60 euro too expensive :O
dakdogba

Postby Bellicose » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:07 pm

that guy wrote:While a bit trivial (and I'm possibly wrong on this point), but what's up with them using Juno Eclipse in the set and calling her an "Imperial Pilot". Am I the only one that thinks that's weird?

Well seeing as the pilot has a male head/face...and there were male Imperial officers/pilots...

dakdogba wrote:I want this, but at current exchange rates, the Euro price is 60 euro too expensive :O

uhh, really? With the exception of the pound (I don't know the exchange rate for that to the USD), since the Euro price is the same as the USD, but the Euro is still stronger than the USD, I don't know what you're complaining about, I think that's actually the cheapest price! It's not like you're the Canadians where the value is 1 to 1 but you still get to pay far more than the Americans do...

As far as internal and external detail, come on, we know these are mutually exclusive, there needs to be a support structure in place - unless you want to glue the pieces together.

Man, complaining about some of the details here is like complaining about the cockpit of 10179 not having glass windows - this is probably as good as it gets, I'd challenge somebody to make it much better. I have a few details of my own, but those will have to wait until september!
Bellicose

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:16 pm

It's not the exchange rate, TLC sell sets for more in other other currencies than USD.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby galaxyfe » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:21 pm

onions wrote:thanks galaxyfe. do you not realize this is information that's already in the op?

yeah, didn't see all the updates. at least the dmac email is new. you can delete the double posts if you like, or post the dmac email as well and delete them all, i don't care.
galaxyfe

Postby Bellicose » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:40 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:It's not the exchange rate, TLC sell sets for more in other other currencies than USD.

I'm not quite sure what you're saying...but actually I just looked at the exchange rate, and the dollar is a better deal on this.

259.99 EUR = 321.686 USD

259.99 USD = 210.127 EUR

That's a first! It might have been nice if it had been about 60 bucks cheaper, but I'll take it as it is.
Bellicose

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars