Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 pm

Wow, they practically copied Dmac/cavegod's design.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby The Brain » Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:45 pm

Gotta say I personally am not too enthused. I find there to be absolutely nothing bothersome or inaccurate about the design; it truly is remarkable and stunning. I'm just not particularly interested in the set. I mean, even the price per part ratio is pretty darn good, but nothing about this screams that I have to forgo all potential LEGO collecting for a year just so I can pick this baby up.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Swoosh Factor » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:29 pm

Looks great, although truth be told, I'd rather they didn't bother with the figs, especially if it would knock a few bucks off the price.
Swoosh Factor

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby onions » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:30 pm

in case you might have missed it, i updated the front page post and the op with new pictures and information.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:38 pm

No ramp! Boo!
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:45 pm

Yet another proof of how TLG can make the interior or exterior look really good, but never at the same time.
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby onions » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:09 pm

i honestly don't think it's possible to have both highly detailed exteriors and interiors. it's one or both. in the case of the falcon they built it for strength and durability at the cost of an interior. what good is having a highly detailed interior if your model is going to fall apart? i'm pretty sure this is the same for the shuttle: strength and integrity first.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby kelano28 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 pm

As soon as I saw the UCS card I abandoned hope for an interior :|
kelano28

Postby DarkEntity » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:38 pm

£240quid!!!

ouch....dont think i want it that much, as nice as it is :lol:
DarkEntity

Postby mrfootball » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:40 pm

Impressive (darth vader voice).

Most impressive.
mrfootball

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:58 pm

I think I remember some guy modding the USC MF to have an interior.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby onions » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:17 pm

and 10 bucks says you can't lift and carry it with one hand and not have it fall apart.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:31 pm

I don't own the set, but is it possible to lift and carry the UCS Falcon with one hand? I'd think it would be a shade bulky for comfortable lifting, much less swooshing.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:58 pm

It was designed specifically so you could lift it with one hand, at least that was my understanding.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Darth Jokar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:05 pm

Ohh my thats a peice of art right there. Few tears came out, its so beautiful. I cant wait to get my hands on it.
Get on your knee's and tell me you love me...
Darth Jokar

Postby meeotch » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:44 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:I don't own the set, but is it possible to lift and carry the UCS Falcon with one hand?

I could do it with my right. XD
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby MisterFubar » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:I don't own the set, but is it possible to lift and carry the UCS Falcon with one hand? I'd think it would be a shade bulky for comfortable lifting, much less swooshing.

Lift and carry? Yes, it's very easy to carry and move around with one hand, you just have to be careful not to run one of the mandibles into a door jamb after almost tripping over one of your dogs. :x

Swoosh? Well... not so much swooshable, it's durable and stays together well enough to swoosh, but unless you've got really long arms I'd say it's just too awkward with the way you have to hold it in the middle.
MisterFubar

Postby Gonk » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:07 pm

Sweet
Gonk

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I, too find it disappointing that a UCS shuttle wouldn't have the boarding ramp at all. And I also think it is kind of weak that the wings are independently controlled. Would it really be that hard to gear them so they moved in tandem by turning ONE key (unless I am misinterpreting that bit about two keys)? And finally, where is everybody getting this idea of retractable landing gear? It clearly says "detachable". Personally, I think retractable landing gear are unnecessary, so I don't see that as a drawback, though I kind of have to laugh at them actually listing the "detachable landing gear" as a feature. Hello? This is LEGO, isn't EVERYTHING detachable? I'd be shocked if the landing gear WEREN'T detachable.

But this does LOOK gorgeous (aside from the surprising lack of a boarding ramp). Too bad I could never afford it.
Mister Ed

Postby Duckman » Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:25 pm

MenacingVitamin wrote:
etcknight wrote:I'm glad LOC is making this, but I have a few issues with the design.

1) Ramp - as already mentioned. I'd be really disappointed if this wasn't part of a UCS offering.
2) Technic bricks - I'm not a big fan of the "pot hole / dented" look of the wings due to the abundant Technic connector arms. I'm sure they're there for structural support - but I think the wings should have an overall "smoother" look.
3) Cockpit size - from the pic, it looks like only 2 minifigs can be seated? In the movie, 4 minifigs fit in the cockpit - a la Millenium Falcon. So, if this is truly UCS / minifig scale, then 4 minifigs should fit into the cockpit.
4) Nose of the shuttle - does not look accurate. That's going to require some MOC.

Love the retractable landing gear and moveable wings. Still not a fan of the new SW face prints though.

There is just no pleasing some people.

FWIW, I love the wing design. The liftarms give them a really nice textured look. I think it looks pretty cool :)

MenacingVitamin, the 2nd point that etcknight is making is very valid. Its pretty much the only reason that would actually put me off from purchasing the set. Would you buy a Lego Aeroplane, if there was 2 massive holes on the side of it, so that the doors could open a different way. I'm certainly not saying I think its a bad design, but it definitely detracts from the look of the model. It's really the main eyesore for this set. I'm presumably going to have to come up with a very altered version that would allow it to be enclosed.

Basically the Imperial Shuttle was famous for its sleek appearance, which these massive holes certainly do not convey or give it credit.
Duckman

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars