Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10212 Imperial Shuttle Revealed - Updated

Postby jarodandjennifer » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:31 pm

This is downright awesome
jarodandjennifer

Postby Skafte » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:04 am

Ordered mine yesterday - was surprised to see it before Sept 1- if only just an hour and a half. Beefed up the order with the new AT-AT and some other stuff, and was surprised to see the "Your order has shipped"-mail this morning. They really work fast sometimes!
Brick me!
Skafte

Postby Andi » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:29 am

I had a deep look at the model today in the Lego Store. It looks so nice!
Maybe I will get it at Saturday, there will be a 15% discount for AFOLs.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby mr_joshua » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:54 am

Does anyone happen to know if the Anaheim/Disney store will be carring this? They had the 10195 set, so I am hoping this is within their price range for keeping stock on hand. The 10% off annual passport discount will help out on this set.

Josh
mr_joshua

Postby banthafodder » Wed Sep 01, 2010 4:55 pm

I don't know if they'll have it on hand; but can't you still get the discount if they don't have it and have to ship it to you?
banthafodder

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:03 pm

I'm really on the fence about going ahead and buying this set. My frosted side wants it now, but my wheat side says go ahead and wait for TarWalgetmart.com to have it knowing I'll be able to get it on sale just like every other large set I've bought recently.

Not even sure when I'd find the time in the next few weeks to put it together anyway.
MisterFubar

Postby SDIronClaw » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:54 pm

I too am I on the fence about this set. When I told my wife I was thinking about getting it, her eyebrows went up and gave me "the" look. Im within decent mileage of 2 Lego Stores....so ehhh I don't know.
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby ccandgc » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Im bad....I ordered mine today....I had $20 in VIP credits, and with free shipping, I couldn't help myself.
-Chad
ccandgc

Postby lowlead » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:20 am

Howdy all,

Thought I'd emerge from hibernation just to chime in on this set. In short, it's fantastic! Granted it's one of my favorite vehicles from the films, but that said, it's definitely worth buying IMHO. Here's a few thoughts....

Wing Construction
A bit repetitive, but in the end all the beams and pins provide surprising strength. I've read posts here and there that mention a weakness in the stabilizer tips - I have not experienced that. LOTS of 1x1 plates and such, my fingerprints have worn off. Inside the stacks of beams you slide free floating axles that provide stability, but make sure they don't slide out while you're handling the wings during construction. If you have to reverse a few steps because of this, it's a bit of a pain. Attaching both wings to the fuselage is a bit tricky, and requires a lot of pressure to slide the 4 connecting pins through - patience is called for in this step. I would recommend a roomy flat surface for wing construction, like a countertop - much easier.

Fuselage Construction
Much more interesting to build, and the shape and overall look is spot-on. The main body of the shuttle is sturdy, and there's plenty of places to apply pressure to press all the components together securely - the lack thereof is a big pet peeve of mine. This one is solid. I would recommend adding the bottom navigation lights later, so it can sit completely flat during construction.

Cockpit
Innovative construction design and looks great when finished, especially the light gray bottom section. The lack of a working boarding ramp is unfortunate, but I do like how the cockpit opens.

Odds 'n Ends
I really like how it sits on only two landing gear feet like the ILM model - looks cool, and it's very well balanced. When you lift the whole ship to attach the landing gear assembly, it's not uncommon for the wings to flop around due to all the play in the gearing. This may be my one complaint, but it's still managable overall. The keys that are used to crank the wings up and down are easily removable. The vertical stabilizer is also guilty of being just a bit floppy, but still well-attached to the main body.

Overall, I like this set just as much as the UCS Falcon and ISD. A real beauty for sure! Thank you, LEGO, for producing one of my 'dream sets.'
lowlead

Postby ccandgc » Thu Sep 02, 2010 6:44 pm

great tips! Thanks for posting them up!
-Chad
ccandgc

Postby SDIronClaw » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:28 am

Ok, guys if you had to choose, would it be the Imperial Shuttle or the Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker. Im undecided and wondering which one I should get...any feedback?
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby Andi » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:10 am

Maybe this viewtopic.php?f=15&t=152 helps you in getting a decision
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby lowlead » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:38 am

SDIronClaw

For me that would be an easy choice: Definitely the Dropship only because of its inevitable scarcity. Since the Shuttle is brand new, you have time, so you can eventually get both. The Dropship is another favorite of mine - you won't be disappointed with that one.
lowlead

Postby Draykov » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:06 pm

Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:01 am

Oh LEGO, why do you torment me so..? :'(

Started building yesterday afternoon and got as far as step 7. One of the four gearboxes used in the wing mechanism is warped on one side. :(

So construction of the main body is halted until Customer Service sends a replacement. I almost considered ripping apart the X-wing or ARC-107 to get at another gearbox... In the end I settled for building the wings and the stand instead.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby Andi » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:24 am

Gingerbeard Man, where you able to get it yesterday during the AFOL-day in the Lego Stores? In my local Lego Store it was sold out yesterday.

Too bad that your gearbox was broken, hope you get a replacement fast.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 am

Andi, I ordered it from Shop@Home on Wednesday. I live in the north-west and the nearest Lego Store (Oberhausen) is about 200km away. Travel cost and time easily eat up the savings from any in-store offers, so I usually order larger sets online.

LEGO has been very fast with replacements on the few occasions I have had to contact them. But this case is so frustrating because those gearboxes are at the heart of the shuttle and I can't continue without all four of them. Other broken parts that I have had in the past were either common and easily replaced, or they belong on the outside and I could complete 99% of the build without them.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby lowlead » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:08 am

Gingerbread Man

That's a raw deal :S A tough part to replace...I think I have an extra, I'd send one your way if I thought I could beat LEGO in delivering it! I could almost hand deliver one - I'm in Germany often enough!!

If it's any consolation, I did a heck of a lot of skipping around the instruction booklets...didn't feel like tackling the three wings until some much needed sleep. In the meantime I built the cockpit, the engine exhaust, display stand, the upper fuselage (it connects to the main section after vertical stab. is installed) and the landing gear all out of order. You could also pre-build the four outer gear assemblies and have them ready for the arrival of your gearbox. If TLC is taking forever, lemme know...I'll send you a light gray one.
lowlead

Postby Joedward » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:08 am

Don't suppose anyone here knows how much this set (shuttle, stand an' all) weighs (Kilos/pounds)?

ta
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby ccandgc » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:56 pm

the shipping info from FedEx stated the box with the shuttle weighs 11 lbs.....so minus a little bit from that....sorry I don't have specifics....
-Chad
ccandgc

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars