Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

White Boba Fett, Product Book, Chrome Stormtrooper News

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: White Boba Fett, Product Book, Chrome Stormtrooper News

Postby bigospedros » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:53 am

thepatient wrote:I too have other financial obligations. A family, bills, and running a small business. I guess I used the term casual collector because I have those duties to perform first, then after that I might be able to swing buying some LEGO.

you think you are alone in this ? You know the "A" in AFOL stands for Adult and most, if not all adults, have bills to pay and families to provide for. Why don't you put a little money aside each month and build up a Lego account to fund your hobby? That's what I do and it works just fine.

I do wonder however, how much information say Solo or Onions get from LEGO.

errr, one is a Lego Adassador and the other works for Lego directly ...

It feels sometimes that the info that is passed on to us here at FBTB seems some what limited on promos like this. When I ask, "Why does LEGO do exclusives like this...?" then the answer comes back (I'm paraphrasing), "It's your fault and exclusive means just what it implies". I have to admit that stating the obvious isn't really the best answer. Now I don't want to come across as complaining about the staff. In my opinion I think they do a great job of running the site and I appreciate the info that we do get. But sometimes... the answers are iffy at best. To me it would seem to be like going to a meteorologist, who knows way more about weather than I do, and asking him/her, "Why is the sky blue?" then the answer you get is, "Because it isn't green, stupid."

please understand that even though they are as close to Lego as they're gonna get, sometimes the answer to your questions is either unknown at the present time (as things are still be developed / finalised / decided etc) or they are known but Lego simply don't want the answer known just yet. You need to be patient if you ask a question and it's not answered.

I work for a band in the UK representing them on their forums and we get questions and complaints like this all the time. The reason I can't give the answers are as above, so I don't see why Lego should be any different.

Yes, exclusives and promos are annoying when you see some people getting them for free or you feel you can't get one for a decent price, but remember that you get out of a hobby what you put in. The people that get these at conventions or whatever pay their own costs to travel there and whatever, so it's not exactly free to them!

Also, don't forget that Lego are learning all the time about these deals. The first one (C3P0) was annoying for most of us, especially those outside of the USA. The more recent ones have been better for everyone - although obviously the delivery method was different by geography due to local rules.

With all these things, you just need to go with the flow and work out the best way for you to get it. If that means resorting to the secondary market, set a personal limit and stick to it. If you don't get one, then so be it ... it's not the end of the world.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby thepatient » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:19 am

I was aware that Solo was the L.A., I was not aware that Onions works directly for LEGO. I thought he got to go to things like the NYTF, as a direct result of this site. So that shows what I know.

Thanks for info Pete. That is the sort of answer I was hoping to obtain, direct and non-judgemental. You've got some good ideas there that I can try to implement. Currently, turning in recycled cans and plastic bottles ( my own, not from others-I'm not a bum) is how I've manged to get some of the smaller sets.

Oh and I do realize that others are in my same situation about bills and such. I just stated my personal situation, since I have communicated about it with others here in the PMs. Maybe by asking myself I help others too. This way only one of us has to volunteer information about being broke.
Last edited by thepatient on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby bigospedros » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:19 pm

I *may* have got confused on Onions' position at Lego ... but nevermind, I think we all know that his info is from trusted sources :) The reasons why you might not get the answer you desire still stand true though.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Master Fetty » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:22 pm

I'm pretty sure onions works as a designer for LEGOLand; there was a big story about it a while back. May just be my memory playing tricks however.
Master Fetty

Postby bigospedros » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:23 pm

Master Fetty wrote:I'm pretty sure onions works as a designer for LEGOLand; there was a big story about it a while back. May just be my memory playing tricks however.

hmmm, that's what I was thinking ... but then I had a crisis of confidence with Chief, who got a job as a Master Builder and wondered if I was getting confused!! :S
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby thepatient » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:46 pm

Chief is the one who works for Legoland as a Master Builder. Again, I never knew if Onions did/does.
<O> <O>
"Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room." -Winston Churchill
thepatient

Postby onions » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:28 am

for the record, i am not currently employed by TLG.

thepatient: what specifically would you like to know? i'm pretty sure the how and why has already been covered. i have been as forthcoming with information as possible. but you have to understand, just because I/we ask a question, it does not necessarily guarantee a satisfactory answer, or any answer for that matter. it took me about 3 weeks of gentle reminding to my contact at TLG to set up a phone conference so i can get as much information as possible. and what information i got, i was grateful, and i'm sure everyone else is because now everyone knows.

i realize after typing that out my tone may come off as a bit confrontational, but i assure you it's not. i really do want to know what questions you may have so that i can forward them and see if i can get a response. i assure you, i am holding nothing back and am doing what i can dig up any news.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby thepatient » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks for the respomce Onions. I really do appreciate it.

You didn't come across as confrontational. I'm sure that the news that you give us is everything you know and is up to date as possible. Thank you for the trouble you go through to get it for us. I did come across as confrontational. I guess I'm directing my angst about these promos at the wrong people. My problem with the situation is really with TLG and not FBTB. My fustration is with how the distribution of something like this is done. I guess my question really should have been; how can I get one of these and not get screwed trying to do it? It seems that I didn't qualify for any of the reasons to be able get one.

When I started collecting again back in '99, I felt like a desert island. I thought I was the only 30 something (at the time 'cause I'm 40 now) that had this hobby. In some sense that is still true. There is no one in my area that is into this hobby to the best of my knowledge. FBTB is really the only way that I have contact or news with other AFOLs. I claim to be a casual collector, but I am passonate about collecting sets and minifigs. I just see other collectors' collections and realize that I'm no where near the level as many of the posting members here. When I see news like this promo, my first reaction is "this is great news." Then when I get into the details it becomes "Well, I'm SOL on this deal."

I guess this is how LEGO has changed over the years. It used to be easily available it was everywhere like any other toy. Now Star Wars LEGO has moved into a collectable status. So things like this promo ups the stakes. I guess that being a collector, I've added to that. It just seems like things have changed over the the last ten years from everything being readily available. Now we see more and more items that are only for the lucky few. Not to mention that they go to people who most likely could care less about this product. Still they get one and get to make some seemingly high profits. I would much rather have my money go LEGO, than to lucky e-bay seller for something like this. I'm not talking about someone who buys a set holds on to it, and then "helps" someone get an out-of-production set down the road. I know there are people who don't care for that, but that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is LEGO giving "special/limited" items to people who don't give a crap, and then that person can take advantage of a real fans. The only solice I get from the situation is FBTB tries to rectify the situation with the contests and give ways. The only problem is I've never won any kind contest (FBTB or any other) that I can remember. There's always someone better. Even with that over my head, I will keep trying though.

I guess where my dissatisfaction in answers on FBTB comes from (and I won't mention Solo's name ;) ) is when I ask; why does LEGO do this? the answer is: "Exclusives are just what they mean." Don, many many times I respect your knowledge and what you have to say on the hundresds of subjects that come up in these forums. Your''re clearly an intellegent person. You really seem to know your shtuff when it comes to collecting. I'm sure that you were being honest when you gave you answer. But really? Do you think I'm really that stupid? (maybe that's one answer I don't want) I'm not trying to start anything by mentioning it, get anybody in trouble, or even looking for an apology. I guess I would have liked to see more discussion on why LEGO thinks these kind of exclusives are so beneficial. I would have had more respect for your answer if it was "Stop your whining you big baby, that's life." Which, in the end, is probably more true and what you were really thinking. :|
<O> <O>
thepatient

Postby onions » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:18 am

It just seems like things have changed over the the last ten years from everything being readily available. Now we see more and more items that are only for the lucky few.

i think you should re-read what you wrote and think about it a little bit. because with that statement, you are putting way too much emphasis on the promotional items. they are just a tiny, tiny facet of the entire product line.

also, be aware that we are not entirely informed about their distribution plans. heck, i don't think anyone there knows exactly what's going to happen or when. but i have a feeling no matter what they do, there's always going to be something wrong with it because of one simple rule: you can't please all the people all the time. look at chrome stormtrooper, it's handled through tru where you can buy one for 2.99 or get one for free with any lego star wars set purchase. is it a perfect system? no, but it's better than not having the chance to get one imo. one thing is for sure, they want to try something different rather than repeat what they've done for vader and threepio and you can't knock them for trying something different.

as for why they are doing it, solo has a point, however shallow you may find it. exclusives exist because they can do it, and why not? in the end, what it does is create excitement for the brand making people notice. it's a marketing tool. not to say that was the main reason behind the brainstorming session, maybe a serendipitous side effect. the main reason i keep hearing from them is that they just want to do something cool for the fans. i'd rather have them do something than nothing at all, personally.

i realize you're a fan and you want one and can't get one (yet), and you're probably not alone. we all can't get the things we want. i'm a huge fan of the acura nsx, but if i wanted one, i'd save up my pennies to get it.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:27 am

I won't mention any names, but this is a direct reply to thepatient ;).
I simply gave you a perspective that was outside the one your presented. You seem to have some serious entitlement issues here, and you appear to be taking this promotion personally for some reason... I'm not insulting you, and I'm not trying to taunt you, but the question itself was pretty stupid. Exclusives generate interest, and interest sells sets. It's that simple. Lego didn't set out to exclude people - they set out to create a cool promo piece that would get people to spend more money on their toys. They do this because it works. I agree that it sucks for casual fans but that's the nature of the game. Whining about it is fine and all and you're welcome to vent your frustration in here, but when you ask such a question you shouldn't get so offended by the answer.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby bigospedros » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:09 am

@thepatient

why don't you write to Lego directly and complain if you're that passionate.

I'm not afraid to say that I wrote to the big boss man of Lego after all the US exclusives like Brickmaster & the C3P0 promo, arguing the case for non US fans being able to get these direct rather than from secondary sellers. Like you, if I have to resort to buying these things, then I would much rather give my money to Lego direct than anyone else.

Now, I'm not claiming that the availability of Brickmaster sets from S@H in the UK or the chosen distribution channels for Chrome Vader was down to me, but I did get a response so I'm guessing it was at least read. The more people that give this kind of feedback the better.

I think Lego are learning all the time and I trust and hope they'll make the right decision for this promo too.

However, I would like to echo Onions here ... you cannot please everyone, all the time. Again, this is a phrase I hear a lot from the manager of the band I work part time for. He knows this. Sometimes he just has to go with the majority or make a decision and if that upsets a few, then so be it.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Jabba the Taff » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:48 am

It seems as though an awful lot of this debate has come out of the original (now deleted) news of the WBF being given to the top 100 S@H customers. On this specific point, I would maybe have had a problem, as it would seem unfair to most who likely wouldn't have a chance to change their S@H buying status after the fact. But as far as I can remember every other exclusive or promo (with the exception of chrome C3P0, outside the US) has been available to me should I wish to participate in whatever the requirements are to get that promo. Just like any regular set, I've been able to make a cost/desire decision on the item. So Chrome Vader has been a well-if-it-turns-up-it-turns-up, and the chrome stormtrooper is a case of not at all bothered. I have to make decision about which sets I buy, I have to make choices about the promos I pursue.

Edit: Solo, yeah I saw that, which is why I said now deleted! Should have written the next bit in past tense though.
Last edited by Jabba the Taff on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jabba the Taff

Postby Solo » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:32 am

Psst...
onions wrote:the top 100 s@h customers is wrong. i will have more details as soon as they come up.

That was midway through the last page.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:03 am

bigospedros wrote:why don't you write to Lego directly and complain if you're that passionate.

I'm wondering how far that got you.

There are decisions TLG makes that piss me off, like everyone else, but you noodle it out and have to conclude "well, they did what they did because they somehow figured it was the best return."

But there are a few things that I can't reconcile with that line of thinking.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that LEGO has a policy against licensing production of hardware products (i.e. not video games) to third parties.

The funny thing is if IP holders like Lucasfilms had the same policy (they're perfectly capable of making their own line of toys, I'd imagine... they already do games and certainly have enough content, and enough ongoing content to make their own production worthwhile), then LEGO probably would have gone out of business.

But... that's just my guess, based on what I've seen lately.

I mean, obviously they don't want to compete with inferior/cheaper sets, but I'm thinking more about products they no longer make but there is a market for.

Edit: D'oh... I realize it's way off topic, my apologies. It just seems like they're not interested in discussing things when the "parent" boards on LEGO's own site don't get moderated for a week or more at a time, and since posts don't show up until they're moderated, you can't really "discuss" things there.... so... hey, I got a Stormtrooper polybag yesterday!
fredjh

Postby bigospedros » Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:40 pm

fredjh wrote:
bigospedros wrote:why don't you write to Lego directly and complain if you're that passionate.

I'm wondering how far that got you.

directly, I guess nowhere ... as they didn't just post me a free version of every rare fig ... but that wasn't my expectation.

I achieved what I wanted, i.e. making the decision makers of Lego aware of my personal opinion on their model for distribution of certain sets.

As I said, it now turns out that they're choosing different methods and as a result, I could get hold of the Brickmaster sets quite easily. Similarly, I could get the chrome vader easily too.

It's pretty clear that my 1 letter didn't make that difference, but I guess it can't have done any harm. If more people were to share their feedback direct rather than ranting on forums or whatever, then companies would understand their customers better.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

bigospedros wrote:It's pretty clear that my 1 letter didn't make that difference, but I guess it can't have done any harm. If more people were to share their feedback direct rather than ranting on forums or whatever, then companies would understand their customers better.

So where'd you send it? :)
fredjh

Postby Puddleglum » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:59 am

Was there ever any news about how many chrome stormtroopers are being made? If so I missed it. :|
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby bigospedros » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:49 am

fredjh wrote:
bigospedros wrote:It's pretty clear that my 1 letter didn't make that difference, but I guess it can't have done any harm. If more people were to share their feedback direct rather than ranting on forums or whatever, then companies would understand their customers better.

So where'd you send it? :)

errr ... can't remember specifically, but I went here :

http://www.lego.com/eng/info/default.asp

and looked up the CEO's name and the Billund address and posted it with hope.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby galaxyfe » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

i sent an email to lego and this was the response.

"Thanks for the email again. At this point in time the white boba fett is a promotional item that we are not selling and as you read were given out at the toy fair and to our top 100 Star Wars purchasers. There will be no other way to receive this item. I apologize but there is nothing we can do to help you out. If you have anything other matter we can help you out with please feel free to give us a call.

Thank you again for contacting us. We wish your family many happy hours of creative building with LEGO brand toys in the years to come. If you have any further questions or concerns, please feel free to call us at 1-800-835-4386 (within the US or Canada) or 1-860-763-4011 (from outside the US or Canada). Customer Service hours are 8:00am to 10:00pm ET Monday-Friday and 10:00am to 6:00pm ET Saturday and Sunday."
galaxyfe

Postby bigospedros » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:38 pm

yeah, if you e-mail them you will get a stock reply like that ... this is why I went a bit more personal and went to the top.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars