Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Six More Years of LEGO Games

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Six More Years of LEGO Games

Postby Staff » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:26 pm

This article about the working relationship between Warner Bros. Interactive/Traveler's Tales and LEGO appeared last week on kotaku.com. An excerpt below:

The publisher (and developer's) deal with the Danish toy company has been extended to 2016, meaning we've got six more years of LEGO games based on Star Wars, Harry Potter and whatever else can be whipped up over a boardroom table and sold across all platforms.

While this doesn't necessarily give concrete proof that the LEGO Star Wars license isn't expiring, it does give us some hint as to its future. Steve Witt has stated in the past that the license isn't going anywhere, and I'm inclined to believe him. Yet, we still haven't received any sort of official Press Release about any renewal. Fact of the matter is, it's a cash cow that I am pretty sure is making both the licensor and licensee stinking rich. Why wouldn't they want to continue? The only thing that could possibly sever the agreement is... I don't know... leaked product information, maybe?

I'm just saying.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/03/07/six-more-years-of-lego-games/
Staff

Re: Six More Years of LEGO Games

Postby Solo » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:29 pm

"So shut up about it ending already."

I'm just saying.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 am

Time Warner, parent company of Newline before it was dissolved... now owns the rights to the Lord of the Rings films.

I'm just saying.
fredjh

Postby legodavee123 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:48 pm

I would guess that Harry Potter, Prince of Persia, and Toy Story would be the next candidates in line-- to date I think they've only done games for licensed products, not for purely LEGO themes like Power Miners, Space Police, Bionicle, etc.

Halo? No. God of War? Nah. Plants vs Zombies? Nah. Lord of the Rings? No.

LEGO has already supposedly passed on Halo and Lord of the Rings licenses anyway, saying they're not really in their target market. God of War is probably similar-- and being a video game already (like Halo), what's the point of making a LEGO video game based on it? Plants vs. Zombies? I doubt it. Again, it's already a video game. And it's not exactly in the "kid" genre, really. I don't think it's quite a strong enough brand for LEGO to go after.

My money's on Prince of Persia, actually. Toy Story walks an interesting line with other toys like Mr. Potato Head, Barbie, and a few other things that might make licensing harder. Might be doable-- just more difficult. Harry Potter? Maybe. LEGO hasn't really been doing much set-wise with HP. Seems like they're toning it down; possibly because the Harry Potter craze hasn't been as profitable as it was when it came out.

DaveE
legodavee123

Postby majortom » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:38 pm

Seriously?
I'm not sure if this as a good thing, Star Wars I and II were great, Then Indiana Jones. I started losing interest at Batman, its just too much of the same.This idea has really been milked. Apart from the theme on which the game is based, nothing really differentiates these games.
Sorry if you disagree, but this is just my opinion.
Although I can see how different themes may appeal to different people.
majortom

Postby fredjh » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:39 pm

I know they won't do LOTR, I was just saying....
fredjh

Postby MMM.PWR » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:06 am

I don't really care for the video games. I do however love the SW line. I hope it's here to stay.
Always two there are. No more, no less.
MMM.PWR

Postby meeotch » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:13 pm

That was not the context in which Steve said it, and I was present for it when he said those exact words at BrickCon. He implied that TLC would be crazy to let its cash cow slip away. One thing I've always wondered, however, is just how much of the LucasFilm Licensing pie the LEGO partnership is responsible for. It seems to me that LEGO needs Star Wars a lot more than Star Wars needs LEGO, and that gives LFL the advantage in negotiations.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:29 am

How many times can they make the same game over and over? :roll:
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby MisterFubar » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:16 am

GIR3691 wrote:How many times can they make the same game over and over? :roll:

Just like everything else... as many times as it will turn a profit.
MisterFubar

Return to Star Wars