Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Tyrant » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Solo wrote:Tyrant, I agree with you on a few points, and I can't help but laugh at others. But we're not taking ANOTHER thread in this direction. Try to refrain from ranting every time you see someone express their displeasure about resellers/scalpers/"eBay-obsessed nimrods". This is a forum for fans and hobbyists - not the people trying to make a profit off them. This is a standard complaint and you're wasting your time trying to defend everyone's favorite scapegoat.

So, to be clear, I should write it off as insulting that is okayed by an ambassador? I'm fully aware this is a forum for fans, it's the whole reason I signed up. However, rules against insulting are fairly common across forums. Or at least they are on forums where others can "suggest" where threads are guided. This is sanctioned insulting. It's pretty easy to disagree with people without insulting them. More importantly, insulting prevents any real discussion, which is the usual point of a message board to the best of my understanding. This is up there with the occasional, casual US bashing on Eurobricks. But please, do tell. Which of my points do you laugh at? Tell me via PM if you think discusssing the fact that resellers aren't the ones who made these hard to find at this price point isn't something worth talking about in this thread when numerous other posters have brought it up.

I also fail to see how I am wasting my time combating casually insulting people. I know my opinion is unpopular. Or does that mean I shouldn't voice it and just let insults fly? As for making money off of people, I know this may be news but every person/company/entity out there selling something is trying to make money (maybe not a profit, but if you are paying for it then they are in fact making money). If you don't like the system, convince TLG to stop making limited runs. Problem solved.

And for crystal clarity, I'm not trying to defend resellers. I've lost out to what I believe to be resellers in the past so I understand the anger. Then again, I took a little time to figure out the system and beat them at their own game instead of throwing around insults online at a group that may or may not be responsible that I will likely never meet. I happen to resell on occasion so I take offense to what I believe is a pretty clear insult. I also know I am not the only person on here who resells. I'm trying to explain that in this particular case (because I'm sure there's all kinds of casual insults tossed around that I don't respond to by what you are saying) there is no reason to blame them when these were available online and the people who waited were taking a risk. Not all risks pay off. That's an undebatable fact. People still complain though and then they through out insults. Like most people, I don't enjoy seeing what I take as an insult. I assume if I were to paint all ambassadors (for instance) in a fairly negative light with an all encompassing insult, one or more of them would respond with varying levels of civility. That's kind of what tends to happen when you insult people and it's why most people tend to avoid it if they have any hopes of civil conversation. So, if that isn't the rule here, I'll keep that in mind and I'll try to be more colorful in future posts. Or maybe I should just keep a list of accepted insult targets? I hope it's obvious why that's a terrible idea.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Korriban

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby onions » Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:03 am

Tyrant, why are you taking it so personally? If someone cuts me off while driving, I'll probably call that person an idiot. Would you take offense to that too, assuming you yourself are a driver of a vehicle on a road? Again, why take it so personally?
onions
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Solo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:17 am

You're welcome to interpret it any way you want Tyrant, but no one has insulted you. I'm not going into the pros and cons of reselling again because we've been over this in the past and I know you disagree with me - and that's fine. I don't have any problem with what you do outside this forum. However, since I was a little too subtle with my last post, let me be clearer: I'm officially warning you about derailing threads. If you think someone has insulted you use the report feature or PM the staff.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Location: right here

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Tyrant » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:16 am

onions wrote:Tyrant, why are you taking it so personally? If someone cuts me off while driving, I'll probably call that person an idiot. Would you take offense to that too, assuming you yourself are a driver of a vehicle on a road? Again, why take it so personally?

Well, you're example is different in that you are calling one specific person, that you know did what you are accusing them of, an idiot. As opposed to labeling say, everyone that drives a Honda, as an idiot when you see a crash but don't see what kind of cars were involved and instead just blindly blame people that drive Hondas because you don't like them. It's not the same and the second of those is likely to upset anyone who drives a Honda who happens to read it. The comment I responded to is an insult to people who are resellers. I happen to resell, therefore it was insulting to me. More importantly, along with being insulting it is assuming with no basis that every TRU that is out of these is out because they were bought by a reseller. Most of my post was either trying to illustrate how that is a ridiculous assumption and that anyone who waited until now was taking a risk anyway. As I said, this is similar to the casual insults towards Americans that seem to be allowed on Eurobricks. As an American, it upsets me. More to the point, I know that if I were to do the same using another country it wouldn't slide. That double standard is what really irritates me. Without getting horribly off track, I have to put up with that crap being an American white male all the time in real life and I think it's pretty sad that mentality of it being okay to insult certain groups (but apparently it's not okay to point out that someone is insulting them) is endorsed online, by an ambassador no less. I honestly had my fill of that with my miniature hobby where it got to the point that certain people were equated with people who committed certain felonies. it's an utterly insulting and toxic mentality that will always repulse a number of people and turn them away. I figured the ambassadors aren't supposed to actively endorse an obviously hostile mentality towards people that whether Don likes it or not are paying customers. It's your site though, so if that's the accepted ideal you are well within your rights to make it so. I just assumed that it wasn't.

As for Don's post, it's hard to not take that personally. I have an ambassador clearly telling me that it's okay to bash a whole group and it's pointless to try to stop it. I may be sorely mistaken, but I have serious doubts that TLG is cool with that mentality. He makes a statement saying that he agrees with some of my points and laughs at others, without saying which he is referring to. So, apparently some of my points are worth laughing at but not discussing? Most people find those types of comments offensive because they don't enjoy being casually dismissed. On top of that, without elaboritng it's a worthless comment that adds nothing and only serves to potentially upset the person on the other end (me, in this case). Telling me to "try to refrain from ranting every time I see someone express their displeasure about resellers" is a nice way of saying "shut up, we don't like your opinion." I could be way off on this, but I believe the last time I said anything was during the actual debate on this topic and that was several months ago. I don't believe that constitues "ranting every time I see it" so that's a blatantly false characterisation. People tend to take it personally when you say things like that to them because they don't like it when people talk down to them or portray them as something they aren't and then expecting them to not react.

That's why I took it personally. I thought I was in the right pointing out how absurd it is to blame every last problem on one group, especially in a situation where there's really no way to know if they are at fault and passing on the worthwhile advice of "if you want it, buy it. If you wait, you're taking a risk." Don felt the need to "correct" me without any serious attempt at debate and a statement that amounts to telling me to shut up and I tend to take that personally. I honestly think most people would.

I really do like the site. I wouldn't bother posting or visiting if I didn't. I thought the real debate on this topic a while ago was mostly civil. However, it seems to be looked down upon by some and I have no idea why other than the fact they have a different opinion and don't want any real debate while they are fine with one side insulting the other. Mods, ambassadors, etc are supposed to have a neutral position or at the very least not try to kill debate while supporting one side insulting the other. Again, it's your site so that's a call for you to make and maybe I am mistaken in my assumptions. If it's cool to insult people or make broad generalizations safe in the knowledge any attempt to correct it will be killed, let me know so I can more appropriately react down the road.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Korriban

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby csiquet » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:45 am

Back on topic, people?
csiquet
 
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:47 pm
Location: Portugal

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Solo » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:04 am

Tyrant wrote:Well, you're example is different in that you are calling one specific person...
Fair point, how's this instead: "If someone cuts me off while driving, I'll probably say anyone who drives like that is a nimrod". Now it's the same. Just being a driver doesn't lump you in with the nimrod drivers, and just because you resell sets from time to time doesn't lump you in with the "ebay-obsessed nimrods" that M19 took a jab at. You took a very specific group and broadened it up to include yourself. And frankly... as a forum member, staffer, and Ambassador, I'm all for insulting the guys who buy tons of limited exclusives and sell them on eBay for jacked up prices. Those guys are leeches and they suck. Some people deserve being insulted.

I agree that complaining about scalpers is pointless, I was simply pointing out that complaining about complainers is just as if not more pointless. Get my point?

and (hopefully with tongue firmly in cheek) you wrote:Without getting horribly off track
Gotta say, that gave me a giggle. ;)

So how 'bout them chrome Stormtrooper Polybags? Got any for yourself? I think I missed out... and silly me, I shelled out for one of the magnet versions, imported fresh from Legolang CA. [/desperate attempt to re-rail this thread]
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Location: right here

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Tyrant » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 am

Solo wrote:So how 'bout them chrome Stormtrooper Polybags? Got any for yourself? I think I missed out... and silly me, I shelled out for one of the magnet versions, imported fresh from Legolang CA. [/desperate attempt to re-rail this thread]

I like them myself. I do wish they were completely painted though.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code
Bricklink Store
Tyrant
 
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:22 pm
Location: Korriban

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby J30spiff » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:19 am

No chrome troopers in my area. Happy hunting to everyone else.
J30spiff
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Alpha 40 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:31 pm

J30spiff wrote:No chrome troopers in my area. Happy hunting to everyone else.

J30spiff and to everyone else: Sorry every who couldn't get one (and it will be even harder now that the promo is over). There is always the magnets. I am happy that I got the last one in the state(that I know of) at Milford, CT. :D
Alpha 40
 
Posts: 43
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:36 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby The Brain » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:11 pm

Nope. It would appear that my prediction about Lucas employees swooping in to nab some chromies was actually correct. My local store was picked clean.

Granted, they at least bought other LEGO sets to obtain them (mostly), so I don't feel quite as bad. Still disappointed I could only get 2. Sorry to anyone who missed out in this deal--this is actually the first one I've ever been able to get in on, so I feel your pain.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:27 pm
Location: Trapped inside a skull, yearning to be free!

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby onions » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:59 am

after taking my chrome trooper out of the bag, i have to say, it's kind of an ugly figure.
onions
Founder
Founder
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:45 pm

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Puddleglum » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:23 am

I managed to snag two. I got one on Wednesday and went back Thursday for another. And I won't feel bad about selling one of them a year or two from now! :p
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:01 am
Location: Northern Virginia

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby etcknight » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Managed to snag two also. Would have liked to have gotten four - but honestly, I got tired of driving 1 hr round trip (w/o traffic) each time just to buy one. Would've brought my wife to help out, but she was tired and a little angry at me at the time. Oh well, just happy I managed to get two! :)
Image
etcknight
 
Posts: 307
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm
Location: Sunny So Cal

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby deco_droid » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 am

Solo wrote: And frankly... as a forum member, staffer, and Ambassador, I'm all for insulting the guys who buy tons of limited exclusives and sell them on eBay for jacked up prices. Those guys are leeches and they suck. Some people deserve being insulted.


cough---cough---see signature----cough--cough
deco_droid
 
Posts: 157
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:46 am
Location: Fort Worth, TX

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby natespizer » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:00 am

I managed to get 2 one by purchasing the swamp speeder and one they let me buy separately.

I already had the battle packs and if I want them I would rather save the $1 and purchase them else where so I figured the swamp speeder wasn't going to go on sale might as well buy it.
natespizer
 
Posts: 44
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:09 am
Location: Nor Cal

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Gooker1 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:33 am

etcknight wrote:Managed to snag two also. Would have liked to have gotten four - but honestly, I got tired of driving 1 hr round trip (w/o traffic) each time just to buy one. Would've brought my wife to help out, but she was tired and a little angry at me at the time. Oh well, just happy I managed to get two! :)



Which TRU in socal did you hit up?
Gooker1
 
Posts: 523
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 2:25 pm
Location: Los Angeles

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby chromemini » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 am

-post removed-
Last edited by onions on Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: i'm pretty sure you're just trolling
chromemini
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:21 am
Location: Downtown Disney

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby bigospedros » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:12 am

why on earth did you want 90 of these?
bigospedros
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:45 am
Location: Waterlooville, UK

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Solo » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:42 am

Shiny, shiny army building I hope? Considering these are cheaper than bulk ordering normal Stormtroopers on bricklink, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like this with innocent intentions. But the prospect that these are destined for eBay in a few months once the supply has dried up is still there.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo
 
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:53 am
Location: right here

Re: Chrome Storm Trooper PolyBag

Postby Coret » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:04 pm

I personally picked up 4 of them. I bought 1 Rebel Battle Pack and 3 Snowtrooper Battle Pack. I actually bought 4 because I got one for myself, and 3 for my 3 boys. (Saving them for when they are older and won't scratch up the chrome, lol.)
Coret
 
Posts: 167
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:44 pm
Location: Detroit, MI

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests