Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

FBTB Toy Fair Coverage - 2009

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: FBTB Toy Fair Coverage - 2009

Postby onions » Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:21 pm

all stuff shown in my toy fair coverage is set for release in august except for 10195 which is end of march.

i would GLADLY trade in a C-3PO for an Endor Rebel Trooper.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Marty » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:41 pm

What can I say! Thanks for the pictures, excellent!

Echo base, I love it already, can't wait for this one to hit the shelves! (I'm after 2 of these!)
Endor, I was very surprised that the base explodes, and that it had an interior, well done Lego for that one!
Home one, excellent idea, but not happy that it's a Toy's R us exclusive, (Will Lego still sell it on Shop at home?)

Indiana Jones is getting better, I love the temple of doom, and the market street sets, the figures are excellent!
As for the plane, and boat chase they're okay I guess, but I would have gone with the library set with a trap door to the sewer / rats & old knights tomb, and the tank set, and last but not least the 3 challenges for the grail.
Also where's Salac and Toth I thought those's guys would have shown up by now?

On a brighter note, I thought the space patrol looks promising, the aliens at least look good, Lego is taking a different approach with these and I think it's in the right direction, more of these please! I think one of theses could be used as the Fly! (Now if only we could find a Geff Goldbloom?)

The castle sets too show promise I'll be looking into that one!

Anyway thank you once again for coming up with the goods, I think it's going to be an exciting year all round, regards Marty.
Marty

Postby Draykov » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:19 pm

Yes, mad props to Ace for taking the awesome shots and getting them posted so quickly. You're a machine, dawg. Thanks!

Marty wrote:Will Lego still sell it on Shop at home?)

As far as I know, there's not been a store exclusive yet that didn't end up on Shop@Home. TRU will probably have it first, but I'd bet dollars to dirt that it'll end up at Shop@Home not long after TRU gets it.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby yankeeken » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:29 pm

I really like the external look of the Separatist Shuttle, however the shuttle's interior seems to be a bit disappointing. Based on the pictures, it looks like only one minifig can fit in the back. :(
yankeeken

Postby MrCRskater » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:18 am

Take a step back, fellas. We don't have any reason to complain about a $25 price tag for the upcoming Hoth set. We've been begging for an official Tauntaun figure for years, practically on our knees. Now they've not only created a brand new mold to produce it, not merely included it as part of a monster Hoth set, but created an affordable set that revolves solely around it, and we're upset/disappointed/perturbed that it's a mere $5 more than we had hoped?! The phrase "bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind. . . let's not be such thankless ingrates!
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Solo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:31 am

Anyone complaining about the Hoth Base being $25 is an idiot. They're the kind of person that would complain about a free ice cream bar because they have to unwrap it first. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby yankeeken » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:14 am

I completely agree. Hoth Base is actually a great deal, as you get 5 figs (1 fig per $5 is pretty good if you as me) and a brand new Tauntaun (whose mold is probably expensive). The best part about the set (aside from the Tauntaun) is that it contains two Snowtroopers, as I believe that this is the first set under $50 to contain Snowtroopers. I don't get why people are saying that it is overpriced. I for one was fully expecting a $30 price tag.
yankeeken

Postby Iare Tosevite » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:39 am

Agreed. I can't wait to buy those. :D
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby DutchRebel » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:18 am

First things first: it's been years that I felt so much excitement on the diverse LEGO forums on the net. It's great to be part of the community again. Feel the buzz!! (maybe it's a good thing if LEGO would protect their images like the 10195 set, this is so much more fun than the endless discussions by obsessed fans a year before the actual release)

Must say I love every set for the summer of 09. I'm not a big clone wars fan, still the Pirate Tank is a lovely designed set. And the RSD must appeal to kids I bet. For all the sets the detail put into the minifigs is a big thumbs up for LEGO. As stated I won't be getting the CW sets, but I already can't wait for the Home One, Endor and Hoth sets. I think LEGO makes a lot of AFOLs very happy. At least they make me VERY happy indeed!

Thanx for that LEGO

And thanx for the excellent coverage you guys from FBTB!
DutchRebel

Postby bigospedros » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:48 am

I have no complaints ... all the sets look brilliant. :D

Thanks for the excellent coverage :)
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Andi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:24 am

Mike, Ace - thanks so much for this perfect and awesome coverage!
These sets are all so amazing, even the Clone Wars Sets
What I like at the Venator most, is that you tilt up the hull for getting inside. That means there is no part which has to be completely removed like with the ISD.
And the OT-sets are all a must have imo :-)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby R2 Lou2 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:16 am

Yep, top coverage guys. The combination of pleasing new LEGO and splendid new FBTB is just all round win!
R2 Lou2

Postby Classicsmiley » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:42 am

Ace and Mike, thanks for all of the great pictures and videos! I camped at my computer yesterday, hitting the refresh button and watching as Ace was uploading pictures. It was fun trying to predict what was coming next. :)

Ace, by any chance did you get any pictures of the City bus stop set? I didn't see it in the City set.

Thanks again!
Classicsmiley

Postby Crusader » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 am

The Endor set looks to be almost as much fun as the latest Death Star at a quarter of the price. I'm guessing it will be a huge Christmas hit as dads in their thirties place it under the tree for their kids, fulfilling their own Christmas wishes a quarter of a century later. Loads of play value here, and the interior of the bunker is better than expected.

Echo Base is a must have as well. Every child needs a Tantaun.

As for the Home One set, personally I'm hoping that Lego releases a Lando, Ackbar, and... someone else magnet set for $15. Yes Madine and Mothma look good, but they're not the most exciting figs.

It seems fairly incredible that Mon Mothma is in this year's lineup, but apparently no Padme!

I need a little more info on the new Falcon to make a call on that one.

The Clone War sets are a little meh in my opinion. The Venator looks great, but it looks about the same size, if not smaller than, the latest gunship. Obviously, it can't be made that big, but I'm not sure if it's a $120 worth of fun as is. Since I already have a gunship and an AT-TE, I can't say I feel like partng with $250 to get another pair. The Snail Droid set looks like a nice army builder.

The Temple of Doom set looks great, but I think I want it more because it looks like it would make a great Dwarf mine. The drawbridge set is the only Castle set that looks all that great. Power Miners seems to have already lost that fresh feeling.

Space Police looks excellent though, and nicely priced as well.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby BrickSith206 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:27 am

Absolutely great coverage!! I wanted to be there this year, but could not because of moving. Everything that is slated to come out has been expected, so no surprise for most of it....HOWEVER, 10195...(I will concur, the $250 price point is high, considering you can buy an RGS + AT-TE for less than $200 and you get unique minifigures) is a complete surprise!! Much like the Death Star Diorama that came out over the previous summer. It just goes to show that if Lego truly wants to keep it's projects 'secret' until near their release they can do it. I would honestly not be surprised if they are the ones leaking their own information to build interest in some of the other sets. /End conspiracy theory

Great pics and coverage!!
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby harrison » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:14 am

Was there any news on set #10010 finges crossed for a UCS set.
harrison

Postby DarthSjaak » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 am

The Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker is available for preorder at: http://shop.lego.com/ByTheme/Product.aspx?p=10195. It will be available March 30th...

Now that is fast, just one day after the pictures from Toy Fair.
DarthSjaak

Postby Solo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am

It's almost like they planned it! ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby lordvader208 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:40 am

MrCRskater wrote:Take a step back, fellas. We don't have any reason to complain about a $25 price tag for the upcoming Hoth set. We've been begging for an official Tauntaun figure for years, practically on our knees. Now they've not only created a brand new mold to produce it, not merely included it as part of a monster Hoth set, but created an affordable set that revolves solely around it, and we're upset/disappointed/perturbed that it's a mere $5 more than we had hoped?! The phrase "bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind. . . let's not be such thankless ingrates!

I only say that it's $5 overpriced because I don't want TLC to be thinking that they can now charge $25 for all sets that should cost $20. Then in a year, they might start charging an extra $5 just because everyone thinks $25 is a good deal. That makes it $30 for a set that should only cost $20. And it may keep on rising. We should all watch out how much TLC is charging now because they may just raise it the next year.
lordvader208

Postby Solo » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 am

That's just flat our ridiculous. We all know why this set is $5 over the expected price. If you don't, I'll give you a hint. It starts with "Taun" and ends with "Taun". Possibly the single most requested mold gets made, it's awesome, and these sets will sell like friggin hot cakes. Hoth cakes if you will. And you better frigin stockpile these suckers, because a week after they disappear, you'll easily fetch $20 for those beasties alone. And probably $5 per pair of goggles too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars