Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Not Looking Good...

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Not Looking Good...

Postby hatcher » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:01 pm

I haven't bought ANY Star Wars sets at MSRP in over 2 years. Everything is bought on sale, clearance, BOGO, etc. Has it meant I've missed out on some sets that I wanted? YEP. Am I upset about it? No, because I WON'T pay these new higher prices LEGO is sticking on us. This years prices are the worst yet, so I might end up not getting a lot of them. It won't break my heart. Or my wallet.

I'll be lurking in the finds and deals forum waiting for the prices to drop if you need me. :)
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby Plo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:34 pm

hatcher wrote:I haven't bought ANY Star Wars sets at MSRP in over 2 years. Everything is bought on sale, clearance, BOGO, etc. Has it meant I've missed out on some sets that I wanted? YEP. Am I upset about it? No, because I WON'T pay these new higher prices LEGO is sticking on us. This years prices are the worst yet, so I might end up not getting a lot of them. It won't break my heart. Or my wallet.

I'll be lurking in the finds and deals forum waiting for the prices to drop if you need me. :)

I think a lot of you guys are just complaining for no reason. The ARC-170 is twice the size of the X-wing and costs 15 bucks more. The Tri-fighter is bigger than the previous version and costs 15$ more. And the Tie defender may have around the same # of pieces as Darth Vaders tie but is huge compared to it.
I have NO idea what your talking about...but it sure sounds cool
Plo

Postby Raequan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:16 pm

Really Plo? No big deal? I think the main point of this thread is TRU constantly overpricing their stock for no reason other than the fact that they are one of the last major toy store chains, if not the last overall. I don't think most of the people here are that upset over paying 2 bucks more for a battle pack at any other store, but when TRU bumps a 50 dollar set like the ARC-170 to $64.99 and then bumps it again to $74.99 the next week, it just makes my blood boil. I don't think anyone will be surprised if TRU kills it's own business and loses money.
Raequan

Postby Plo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:24 pm

Raequan wrote:Really Plo? No big deal? I think the main point of this thread is TRU constantly overpricing their stock for no reason other than the fact that they are one of the last major toy store chains, if not the last overall. I don't think most of the people here are that upset over paying 2 bucks more for a battle pack at any other store, but when TRU bumps a 50 dollar set like the ARC-170 to $64.99 and then bumps it again to $74.99 the next week, it just makes my blood boil. I don't think anyone will be surprised if TRU kills it's own business and loses money.

Sorry if I offended you :S .I was referring more to the complaints on TLG's general price increase. By the way since when was the ARC-170 50$ ?
I have NO idea what your talking about...but it sure sounds cool
Plo

Postby Raequan » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:14 pm

Sorry, didn't mean to sound that angry. :x Bored Robot and General Weegee said that TRU raised the ARC-170 to $74.99 a few days a go. I personally don't see the price hike as that big of a deal, but TRU is just getting annoying.
Raequan

Postby soap » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:03 pm

it's not TLG prices I am so irritated at. I too get the majority of the sets on sale. I have Fred Meyers, Target, Wal-Mart, and a Lego store all within a short distance to me. The main consumer stores all price match and have various sales which help keep my hobby cost down. I just get annoyed when a place like TRUS does these intentional price hikes. This move should just reinforce to most of us why we should buy elsewhere. I know on the rare occasion I do shop at TRUS, if I see a lost parent looking at the sets in disbelief over the pricing, I tell them to go across the street to target and save some money.
soap

Postby CitySlicker2009 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:24 pm

Because of TRU prices it makes me kinda happy that there isn't one where i live in Sault Ste Marie Ontario. Here in my hometown the only places to buy Lego is Zellers , Walmart and Sears. Zellers,Walmart and Sears have decent prices so that's where i will continue to buy my Lego.

in 2005 i spent a $500 paycheck on the Star wars Revenge of the Sith line and i was able to get every set except for the V wing, Wookie Catamaran , Ultimate Space battle and Clone turbo Tank, i miss those day when Lego's were that cheap.

The old arc 170 fighter was worth what i payed for it, whats the difference between the 2 besides the new mini figures?
CitySlicker2009

Postby BlueDragonZ » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:34 pm

CitySlicker2009 wrote:The new sets will have to drop in price for me to buy them. i got the older battle packs for 12.99 Canadian and i im looking to pay that for the new ones. So for me to buy any of 2010 SW line a price drop is needed.

Kinda feel sorry for those in the USA. Those TRU prices are ridiclous as they are even more expensive than Canada MSRP. But those prices would probably drop back to the usual regular overprice TRU prices and not that ridiclous pricing

CitySlicker2009 wrote:Because of TRU prices it makes me kinda happy that there isn't one where i live in Sault Ste Marie Ontario. Here in my hometown the only places to buy Lego is Zellers , Walmart and Sears. Zellers,Walmart and Sears have decent prices so that's where i will continue to buy my Lego.

Just called a Zellers today and found they are carrying the snow trooper army pack and freeco speeder. And the prices are the same as Toysrus here in canada. $35 for freeco speeder, $15 for snow trooper pack.
BlueDragonZ

Postby CitySlicker2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:06 am

BlueDragonZ wrote:
CitySlicker2009 wrote:The new sets will have to drop in price for me to buy them. i got the older battle packs for 12.99 Canadian and i im looking to pay that for the new ones. So for me to buy any of 2010 SW line a price drop is needed.

Kinda feel sorry for those in the USA. Those TRU prices are ridiclous as they are even more expensive than Canada MSRP. But those prices would probably drop back to the usual regular overprice TRU prices and not that ridiclous pricing

CitySlicker2009 wrote:Because of TRU prices it makes me kinda happy that there isn't one where i live in Sault Ste Marie Ontario. Here in my hometown the only places to buy Lego is Zellers , Walmart and Sears. Zellers,Walmart and Sears have decent prices so that's where i will continue to buy my Lego.

Just called a Zellers today and found they are carrying the snow trooper army pack and freeco speeder. And the prices are the same as Toysrus here in canada. $35 for freeco speeder, $15 for snow trooper pack.

Wow that's not cool , now even im not impressed now!
CitySlicker2009

Postby dman7529 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:07 am

While I hope and pray this didn't happen, is it possible TLG increased the MSRP for the 2010 stuff? I just looked at Shop@Home, and do not see any of the new sets, even though a few (Arc-170, Speeder, Tri-Droid fighter) were up last week.

I will say I'm glad I got the new sets last week. TRU will not see any of my $$$ while the prices are this freaking inflated.
dman7529

Postby CitySlicker2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:33 pm

Just got back from our local mall where a Sears and a Zellers are located , sadly all the SW Lego was sold out , every single set :shock: only a few Power Miners, City and Pirates remained.

later tonight I will be heading to our Walmart and another Zellers store, hopefully I will find something worthwhile there.I promise to report the prices I see there so we can compare them to TRU prices.
CitySlicker2009

Postby BlueDragonZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:48 pm

CitySlicker2009 wrote:Just got back from our local mall where a Sears and a Zellers are located , sadly all the SW Lego was sold out , every single set :shock: only a few Power Miners, City and Pirates remained.

later tonight I will be heading to our Walmart and another Zellers store, hopefully I will find something worthwhile there.I promise to report the prices I see there so we can compare them to TRU prices.

I went to 3 Zellers today. 2 of them were completley wiped clean except for a few duplo sets, opened empty lego boxes. The other Zellers had a few lego but completely sold out on Star Wars and indiana jones. Walmart is wiped clean as well with no new 2010 lego.

Went to toysrus, saw some new atlantis sets and thats all for 2010 lego. There was nothing left in Star Wars except Home one.

But 2 superstores i went to had TONS of the retired Hailfire Droid & Spider Droid, Hyena Droid Bomber, Tank Droid, Separatist Shuttle and more.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Bored Robot » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:55 pm

Bored Robot and General Weegee said that TRU raised the ARC-170 to $74.99 a few days a go. I personally don't see the price hike as that big of a deal, but TRU is just getting annoying.

Exactly!

It looks like most of us are in agreement on TRU. I'm curious as to what TLG says MSRP is on the ARC-170. It's one of my favorite ships, but I'm going to be patient on this one.
j. anthony
Bored Robot

Postby CitySlicker2009 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:01 pm

When i got to Walmart here in Sault Ste Marie i seen that they were clean out of Lego except the had a few power miners and racers left.

Zellers was the same however they did have the separatists shuttle there for 39.00.

I have not seen any 2010 Lego Sets yet in my city , but i will keep looking.
CitySlicker2009

Postby iabstract » Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:41 pm

TRU always marks up the prices of Lego sets, especially Star Wars. I'm not sure why this is so surprising. I just order online, either through amazon.com or Lego.com. Amazon usually gets the mass-release stuff, so they qualify for free shipping, then you can get the exclusives at Lego's website.
iabstract

Postby BlueDragonZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:28 pm

CitySlicker2009 wrote:When i got to Walmart here in Sault Ste Marie i seen that they were clean out of Lego except the had a few power miners and racers left.

Zellers was the same however they did have the separatists shuttle there for 39.00.

I have not seen any 2010 Lego Sets yet in my city , but i will keep looking.

Everything is sold out everywhere now. I called toysrus yesterday and they had count dooku solar sailer in stock. Went today and they were wiped clean. Empty shelves..

Wal-mart started putting other toys in the lego aisle to fill up the empty shelves.
At Zellers, misplaced items were in the lego aisle.
BlueDragonZ

Postby banthafodder » Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:37 pm

At my Target there were Mega Block Halo items on the Lego shelves to fill space. (gasp)
banthafodder

Postby bigj22 » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:45 am

iabstract wrote:TRU always marks up the prices of Lego sets, especially Star Wars. I'm not sure why this is so surprising. I just order online, either through amazon.com or Lego.com. Amazon usually gets the mass-release stuff, so they qualify for free shipping, then you can get the exclusives at Lego's website.

Thats not exactly what some are talking about. I realize they mark up. But my statement was why did the price jump up on all the sets by 4.00- 10.00 in a week after they were put out. That is not a common practice by them at all.
bigj22

Postby soap » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:31 pm

It's not just the star wars sets that jumped in price. TRUS is advertising city sets at 25% off. Strangely enough most of those sets had about the same amount tacked on top of the old price the day before the sale was advertised. Case in point: The city police headquarters was $89.99 and now during the sale this week, its regular price is $109.99. So with the sale you are at about $83.00. Not much of a savings. This is a common practice with TRUS. I have seen it done by them each holiday season the last 3 years. They do this with any high selling product they have. It is just more inflated with the star wars line. Once the other local stores get stocked up, I would be willing to bet the TRUS prices level back out. Till then shop elsewhere. Fred Meyers in my area just had all legos 20% off plus another 10% off toys. I got the new atlantis sets and space police sets for 30% off. TRUS cannot even touch that. We just have to be patient consumers. Oh, and not shop at TRUS if at all possible.
soap

Postby sabriyo » Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:43 pm

soap wrote:It's not just the star wars sets that jumped in price. TRUS is advertising city sets at 25% off. Strangely enough most of those sets had about the same amount tacked on top of the old price the day before the sale was advertised. Case in point: The city police headquarters was $89.99 and now during the sale this week, its regular price is $109.99. So with the sale you are at about $83.00. Not much of a savings. This is a common practice with TRUS. I have seen it done by them each holiday season the last 3 years. They do this with any high selling product they have. It is just more inflated with the star wars line. Once the other local stores get stocked up, I would be willing to bet the TRUS prices level back out. Till then shop elsewhere. Fred Meyers in my area just had all legos 20% off plus another 10% off toys. I got the new atlantis sets and space police sets for 30% off. TRUS cannot even touch that. We just have to be patient consumers. Oh, and not shop at TRUS if at all possible.

Doesn't TRU price match other stores?? Maybe you can price match with them.
sabriyo

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars