Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10195 Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker - S@H Exclusive!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10195 Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker - S@H Exclusive!

Postby BigBenKenobi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:37 pm

Hey guys, I found this really awesome YouTube video of this set at the Toy Fair with Eric Varszegi demostrating how the AT-OT works, along with an introduction with the 8036 Separatist Shuttle. The mechanism that locks the AT-OT with the Republic Dropship is actually really ingenious in my opinion :D . This movie further cemented my decision to ge this set even with the cost. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRleLuXfKrU&feature=related
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:28 pm

Even the guy in the video guessed $200. Once you think you have Lego figured out...they raise their prices again.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby TheThrasher » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm

Nice video. Was the guy holding the sets a LEGO rep or something, because I find it funny how he thought the price was lower than the retail price. Also, I didn't know about the Clone ripping off the droid head nose art, thats pretty cool :lol:
TheThrasher

Postby BigBenKenobi » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:34 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:Even the guy in the video guessed $200. Once you think you have Lego figured out...they raise their prices again.

Yea, I thought that was interesting too. But, then again, this set will sell pretty well in my opinion, even with the higher than expected price tag...I for one will be contributing to its sales even with miled "sticker shock."

Oh, and for TheThrasher, the guy is Erik Varszegi. He is the master lego builder who made the exclusive eight-foot-long Venator-class Star Destroyer for an auction on eBay, which sold for around $31,000.

Here's a link about him: Wookiepedia
BigBenKenobi

Postby Walter Kovacs » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:12 pm

natelite wrote:you can probably download the instruction, BL the parts, buy clone bps to completely fill the at-ot with troops and still end up cheaper than $250. the question is whether your time and effort is worth the savings.

Good luck keeping the price down when it comes to those two Clone Pilots, though. Last I saw, they were commanding around $30 apiece on Bricklink.

After watching the video, I have to say that this set looks really incredible, and I am already searching for ways to afford it. It may be the only Clone Wars set I buy this year. Aside from Clone BPs. And from the pictures I saw, it will take many of those to fill the AT-OT (16 seats for troopers, and only 6 included :( ).
UCS TIE Project: 10 down, 35 to go!

My Brickshelf Page
Walter Kovacs

Postby Ty55 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 am

meeotch wrote:I am really excited for this set. One thing I'm thinking about, however, is it seems no one outside of TLG had so much as a whiff of this coming down the pipeline. I find it interesting that out of all the 2009 sets (barring, of course, others that haven't been "leaked"), what is arguably the coolest vehicluar build was able to be kept secret until right before it's released. The buzz about this set all over the internets is huge, and I think Lego played their hand very well. They would have to in order to justrify the hefty asking price. I just think that it shows that TLG's "security issues" may very well be planned marketing strategy.

Well it could've also been because it's a Shop at Home exclusive. It wasn't going to show up in any of the retailers catalogues. I honestly think that's the only reason no-one knew about it.
Ty55

Postby Galagoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:51 am

That's actually quite a reasonable reason. Sounds likely to me.
Galagoo

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:58 am

I agree. Leaks usually originate from retail employees, not from LEGO employees. Since this set was probably never intented to go to retaillers, he was never presented to them, hence why there wasn't any leaked information about it.

Personally, I think this set is incredible and very well worth its asking price. Unfortunately, spending well over $300 CND for a LEGO set would result in signing my divorce papers too... ;)
Daz Hoo

Postby CommanderFox » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:55 am

Lego have done a great job with this set and ive been waiting for it since i sore episode 2. Only problem is the price Lego has been uping there prices for the last few years and im really getting annoyed im not exactly going to be able to afford $500 because thats how much it is for us NZers >8( >8(
otherwise the set is amazing just not the price :( .
CommanderFox

Postby Master Fetty » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:22 pm

CommanderFox wrote:Lego have done a great job with this set and ive been waiting for it since i sore episode 2.

I really like this quote, as it shows outright the attraction of the set. If the AT-OT was released alone, it would get a 'meh', but throw in something cool and people would be willing to pay much, much more.
Master Fetty

Postby bigkid24 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:46 pm

it's a definite buy for me but the set as is is sort of underwhelming but the fact that it combines with the AT-TE makes it very appealing.
bigkid24

Postby astoriabluelegos » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:40 pm

WOW, that just blew my plans for a custom Laat/c right out of the water! My parents have yet to give me a graduation gift for finishing highshcool, I think I just found the perfect thing.... :cool:
ASTORIABLUELEGOS
The offcial, Eternal, Starwars Nit-picker!
<><
astoriabluelegos

Postby Inzane » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Solo wrote:$249.99 USD/$349.99 CAD

Ummmm..... Yeah.... I'll pass.

That price makes we want to :lol: .
Inzane

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Ya know what I just thought of? Well, remember when we all wanted to know what that weird technic beam did on the AT-TE back at FBTB 2.0...we all just came to the conclusion it was a handle to help hold the set. Well, now we know the truth behind the deception ;) . But, what's even more awesome and interesting in my opinion is that when you think about it, TLG was probably planning this since 2007 or 2008 when they designed the AT-TE and getting ready to release it fall 2008. I must say well done because it caught everyone off guard.
BigBenKenobi

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:25 pm

I'm just waiting for some rich kid to take pictures of the AT-TE being carried by the dropship.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby ScruffyNerfHerder » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:04 pm

This is a definite buy for me. Compatible with the AT-TE AND six Clone Troopers? That's enough said for me. Then again, I don't have to pay taxes, sooo... :x
ScruffyNerfHerder

Postby Blackninjatom » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:20 pm

Ithink it is interesting how rayman's Beautiful decal is now an official gunship sticker. :D The gunship looks great, will have to shrink the wampa decal onto my mini laat/c. :cool:
Blackninjatom

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:31 pm

Wow, that uh... quite a coincidence. :shock:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby meeotch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:49 am

Okay, so I don't have the AT-TE (yet... ;) ) so I need to know: is the handle on the back of it similar to the one on the Motorized AT-AT? Obviously this would be WAY non-canonical, but I think it would look pretty bad-assed to have the Laat/C dropping an AT-AT on unsuspecting infantry! Especailly with the legs kicking away.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:32 am

meeotch wrote:Okay, so I don't have the AT-TE (yet... ;) ) so I need to know: is the handle on the back of it similar to the one on the Motorized AT-AT?

No, it's completely different.

The AT-TE "handle" is a single technic beam (brick) sitting vertically in the walker (slides up and down). It has a short technic axle through the topmost hole to help you grip it.

The AT-AT handle is a proper U-shaped handle like you would find on a briefcase. It is constructed of technic liftarms and can be laid flat by folding at the joins.

EDIT: Took some snapshots just now, for reference. I'm shocked at the amount of dust that has collected on the AT-TE in such a short time. And the handle on the AT-AT is not as "U"-shaped as I thought...
Last edited by Gingerbeard Man on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gingerbeard Man

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars