Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars: The Quest For R2-D2 Game Online

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Star Wars: The Quest For R2-D2 Game Online

Postby Staff » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:00 am

Looking for something to do over the weekend? Well, if you've been living under a rock, or, if you're like me, have a computer barely capable of playing Youtube videos without skipping or decides to go into sleep mode randomly on its own, you may be interested in a browser-based LEGO Star Wars web game, The Quest For R2-D2. I myself have yet to play it but by all accounts, it's a hit. Gameplay is very similar to the LEGO Star Wars games on the consoles and PC, so it will feel familiar all over again.

As a bonus, once you play through the game, you'll be able to unlock instructions for the Malevolence. However, if you need a set listing that comprises the model you can take a look at this forum thread: Malevolence Model - What Kits Are Needed?.

The game requires the Unity plugin to play. So after a short download and install, you'll be hacking and slashing your way through the game in no time. It's pretty amazing what the plugin is able to deliver considering you're playing the game on a web browser. The last time I was this impressed with a web game was for Quake Live. For more information on the game's development, you may be interseted in reading this article on Unity.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/10/23/lego-star-wars-the-quest-for-r2-d2-game-online/
Staff

Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Quest For R2-D2 Game Online

Postby Master Fetty » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:49 am

Wow. I'd thought this was just an online comic series with a one off-TV advert. This game is amazing (considering its online).
Master Fetty

Postby BlueDragonZ » Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:41 pm

LEGOscum wrote:Wowsers, I can't believe there hasn't been a discussion on this already.

Me too. The game has been out for like several months already..

But the quest for R2-D2 is pretty good cosidering you can play it on your browser without any installation of the game and its FREE ! The quality of the game is not too bad as well. Its pretty realistic to the clone wars animated versions in LEGO style.
BlueDragonZ

Postby lostone » Sun Oct 25, 2009 7:58 am

with the instructions being posted by lego do you think its safe to assume the malevolance will be released as a set?
lostone

Postby meeotch » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:03 pm

I doubt it. It's interesting that "all" you need to build it is the entire current wave of sets, so this is most likely a way to help stoke sales. Pretty cunning if you ask me.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby BlueDragonZ » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:34 pm

meeotch wrote:I doubt it. It's interesting that "all" you need to build it is the entire current wave of sets, so this is most likely a way to help stoke sales. Pretty cunning if you ask me.

Is there some sort of new lego instructions for the malveonce???
BlueDragonZ

Postby meeotch » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:51 pm

I'ma do it....

Watch me, I'ma do it...

Here I go...

:facepalm:

In all seriousness, you get the instructions from completing objectives in this online game that's currently being discussed in this thread. As far as I can tell, there aren't any official Malevolence printed instructions, just the .pdfs. There are a total of 4 of them. And in another thread floating around on this very website (though I can't be bothered at the moment to find it, but it's here somewhere) someone actually posted the list of the sets you would need to have all the pieces the instructions call for, plus he included a link to a file that you could download to help just order the pieces from Bricklink.
meeotch

Postby BlueDragonZ » Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:26 am

Oh so you get the malveonce instructions if you complete the game objective... i see..
BlueDragonZ

Postby liquidcross » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:25 pm

My current comp is too damned slow to run this...but the shiny new iMac I ordered last week ought to work just fine! Can't wait to play it. :D
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Darthboba281 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:15 pm

It's been a while since I've been here. XD XD XD XD XD XD
Darthboba281

Postby Jargon » Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:43 pm

It's fairly good for a free online game. Definitely a good timewaster. :D
I think I'll play this one through.
- Aaron
Jargon

Postby LEGOscum » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:34 am

meeotch wrote:I doubt it. It's interesting that "all" you need to build it is the entire current wave of sets, so this is most likely a way to help stoke sales. Pretty cunning if you ask me.

Sorry, that's my fault and not the fault of LEGO Group. I didn't mean to suggest you needed to use all elements from all the sets to build the Malevolence. I meant to say that the elements came from those sets. I thought it would be clear from the inventory list that it didn't use all the pieces. Simple mathemetics would tell you that!

liquidcross wrote:My current comp is too damned slow to run this...but the shiny new iMac I ordered last week ought to work just fine! Can't wait to play it. :D

I don't think the Unity plugin is available for Macs though.
LEGOscum

Postby meeotch » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:36 pm

Oh, I understood what you were saying. What I was saying in my post was that it would make sense that this set would be designed out a pallette made up of only current-production sets, because that way, if someone was short some of the pieces they may be more likely to look into buying the sets they need rather than look to aftermarket options.
meeotch

Postby Dendo » Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:49 am

Has anyone actually built the Malevolence model yet? If so, could we see pics?
Dendo

Postby liquidcross » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:46 am

LEGOscum wrote:
liquidcross wrote:My current comp is too damned slow to run this...but the shiny new iMac I ordered last week ought to work just fine! Can't wait to play it. :D

I don't think the Unity plugin is available for Macs though.

It most certainly is, and the game looks fantastic on my new Mac, especially in fullscreen mode! :D
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Return to Star Wars