Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

10198 Tantive IV First Look

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: 10198 Tantive IV First Look

Postby Blue Squadron » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:18 am

It's not quite as generously populated with minifigs as it might have been (se my comments in the speculative thread) but it's otherwise pretty much exactly what I expected - and the Captain Antilles minifig is exactly what I expected - nice! - also lends itself to a bit of modding to create other senior Rebel officers of the period (I see an easy change to Jan Dodonna...).

The ship is also pretty good; like others, I would have preferred to see an interior that allowed a white corridor for that classic Stormtrooper boarding scene (and, give that this is all about anniversaries it seems Lego missed a trick here) but it's certainly no deal-breaker and, to be honest, having the ability to modify the original set designs to create your preferred options is part of the great joy of having these things in Lego!! :D

I'm looking forward to see the inevitable posts from you guys after this set is released, showing your modded ineriors and boarding battle scenes! (Points - but no prizes - to the first who posts a "Vader throttles Antilles" vignette! ;) )
Blue Squadron

Postby Chewie » Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:46 pm

OK! It should have came with more figures like Stormies and Vader, It should have been bigger to fit the hallway and it should have been cheaper. It's the same price as the Venator, now who's Tantive IV would you buy, mine, or TLG's Lazy Tantive IV! >:(
Laugh it up fuzzball!
Chewie

Postby GIR3691 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:35 am

Chewie wrote:OK! It should have came with more figures like Stormies and Vader, It should have been bigger to fit the hallway and it should have been cheaper.

Well, you're not going to get both coming with more and being cheaper simultaneously.

Chewie wrote:It's the same price as the Venator, now who's Tantive IV would you buy, mine, or TLG's Lazy Tantive IV! >:(

I don't know, what does your Tantive IV look like? I really wouldn't call it "lazy," they have restrictions with elements used to fit into price points. Aside from missing the hallway section opportunity, this is a darn good representation and gets the job done for a system set. There's obviously a lot of SNOT and different build techniques going on, we get a new torso and head design, plus new printed pieces on the cockpit. It is also around the right piece count for the price range, especially for a LSW set. It's not a bad set at all. Sure it could have included more minifigs, and it seems severely lacking so with the price point, but I think it is a solid set all around. If you got the Rebel and Imperial battle packs, you should have more than enough minifigs for it. I'm going to mod the interior and add my BP minifigs to make a tiny little folding vignette in there when I get it.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby roblin » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:00 am

Seems it's slightly delayed... now it says available on October 9th on LSAH. :(
roblin

Postby yankeeken » Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:17 am

It is still listed with a September 9th release date for both the US and Canada. It looks like it has only been delayed until October 9th in Europe.
yankeeken

Postby Chewie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:29 pm

GIR3691 wrote:
Chewie wrote:OK! It should have came with more figures like Stormies and Vader, It should have been bigger to fit the hallway and it should have been cheaper.

Well, you're not going to get both coming with more and being cheaper simultaneously.

Chewie wrote:It's the same price as the Venator, now who's Tantive IV would you buy, mine, or TLG's Lazy Tantive IV! >:(

I don't know, what does your Tantive IV look like? I really wouldn't call it "lazy," they have restrictions with elements used to fit into price points. Aside from missing the hallway section opportunity, this is a darn good representation and gets the job done for a system set. There's obviously a lot of SNOT and different build techniques going on, we get a new torso and head design, plus new printed pieces on the cockpit. It is also around the right piece count for the price range, especially for a LSW set. It's not a bad set at all. Sure it could have included more minifigs, and it seems severely lacking so with the price point, but I think it is a solid set all around. If you got the Rebel and Imperial battle packs, you should have more than enough minifigs for it. I'm going to mod the interior and add my BP minifigs to make a tiny little folding vignette in there when I get it.

I didn't mean I have one, I mean't my idea! :lol:
Laugh it up fuzzball!
Chewie

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:05 pm

Blue Squadron wrote:(Points - but no prizes - to the first who posts a "Vader throttles Antilles" vignette! ;) )

Just cobbled together in a few minutes. Sorry about the wall, I didn't want to wait for BrickLink...
Gingerbeard Man

Postby GregHyland » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:57 pm

What I really like about the set is the box! (Which I helped design the layout...)
Greg Hyland
"You'll thank me when you share my politics"
http://www.lethargiclad.com
GregHyland

Postby roblin » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:12 am

roblin wrote:Seems it's slightly delayed... now it says available on October 9th on LSAH. :(

And now they raised the prize! I feel a Chewbacca growl is in order here... 'Growl'
roblin

Postby Andi » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:23 am

oh, 13th October indeed. Yesterday it was late September, the day before even early September.
And the Lego Store on Saturday said 1st September...
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Bulls_Eye » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:27 am

Lego shop still says September 9 for me.
Bulls_Eye

Postby Draykov » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:52 am

Chewie wrote:OK! It should have came with more figures like Stormies and Vader, It should have been bigger to fit the hallway and it should have been cheaper. It's the same price as the Venator, now who's Tantive IV would you buy, mine, or TLG's Lazy Tantive IV! >:(

Well, you are the expert.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby darth jason » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:09 pm

I think Blockade Runner looks great. I was hoping for a black and white "lampshade" droid but oh well. This makes up for Home One IMHO.
I think I'm going to have to push this purchase for a few months since I just bought the Motorized AT-AT, I was thinking since my local lego store only had 3 on the shelves(one of which was in a pretty beat up box) that these would be going bye bye pretty soon.

I really like all the offerings for this year.
darth jason

Postby yankeeken » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:14 pm

The Tantive IV instructions are now available at the Customer Service Building Instructions section of Lego.com.

Book 1
Book 2
yankeeken

Postby buhs » Wed Sep 02, 2009 2:14 pm

yankeeken wrote:The Tantive IV instructions are now available at the Customer Service Building Instructions section of Lego.com.

Book 1
Book 2

Thanks for the instructions yankeeken... they answer some questions about the escape pod (which apparently is one of the airlock docking ports, instead of the pods under the main strut as in the movies?) and the cargo mover which comes out of the aft section. To the rest of you: it took me a few times for these two links to work (I kept getting lock ups, and no file messages)... keep trying my padawans!
buhs

Postby yankeeken » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:11 pm

It appears that TLG has taken the instructions down as they no longer appear under the list of Star Wars instructions.
yankeeken

Postby Boyfromvalley » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:05 am

Am I seeing things or dose it say Now Available on the UK web page?
Boyfromvalley

Postby bluemoose » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:14 am

Boyfromvalley wrote:Am I seeing things or dose it say Now Available on the UK web page?

Available to order from Shop@Home UK ( & US & everywhere else) ... and on the shelf in UK LEGO stores - bought mine earlier from the Milton Keynes store :-)

Ian
bluemoose

Previous

Return to Star Wars