Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 2010 sets!!!????

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New 2010 sets!!!????

Postby The Brain » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:36 am

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:I have a feeling that they're going to see a drop in their sales. I mean, parents want the most for their money for their kids. They're not as likely to buy the more expensive sets. So say if they get Wampa's Cave for their kid, they build it and they see how small it is, they'll be much less inclined to get more lego sets. They'll think "Well, gee, this is pretty small for $40, I'll buy my kid something cheaper the next time."

I'm actually hoping their sales will drop so they learn their lesson>

On the flip-side, a drop in sales might cause them to raise prices even more in the hopes of trying to make up the difference with those who are still buying sets. I'm not so sure they need a slap to the face to pay attention to their fans, they just need to produce some less expensive sets and consider how ridiculous some of their prices are.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:28 pm

The Brain wrote:
ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:I have a feeling that they're going to see a drop in their sales. I mean, parents want the most for their money for their kids. They're not as likely to buy the more expensive sets. So say if they get Wampa's Cave for their kid, they build it and they see how small it is, they'll be much less inclined to get more lego sets. They'll think "Well, gee, this is pretty small for $40, I'll buy my kid something cheaper the next time."

I'm actually hoping their sales will drop so they learn their lesson>

On the flip-side, a drop in sales might cause them to raise prices even more in the hopes of trying to make up the difference with those who are still buying sets. I'm not so sure they need a slap to the face to pay attention to their fans, they just need to produce some less expensive sets and consider how ridiculous some of their prices are.

I don't think so. Remember the great prices we got on some sets in 2005-2007? That was because they were undergoing financial stress and needed to lower their prices.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby The Brain » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:36 pm

But they're not in the same situation right now. They were having other budgeting and economic issues before; it wasn't such a matter of fewer people buying fewer sets.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby legomatt » Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:18 pm

I agree with you both.
As Brain says, they don't need to see a drop in sales to figure that "Gee, guys, d'you think we're jacking these prices up a bit too much?" After all, it makes no sense to alienate large sections of their customer base by pricing them out of the range, as they'll then just stick with what Lego they have, and start spending their money on more affordable interests.

But if that's really what it takes for Lego to take notice of a swell in negative public perception, then I agree with ThatGuyWith, and would quite happily watch the wider mass market reeling at the prices compared to what they got before, and start shopping for something else. As much as the kids will ask for a Slave 1, or whatever, it will mostly be the parent/responsible adult controlling the purse strings - and that person is less likely to understand the relative value of a given set - so will just look at their understanding of 'bang for the buck' and say, "sorry timmy, it's too much".

Lego has never been particularly cheap, but you know it's getting bad when the uninitiated/lay-person that doesn't pay much attention, notices the prices going up, up, and out of the store for something else.

I'm happy for Lego to make juicy profits and be a healthy company, but getting greedy is distasteful in any realm of life and eventually turns people off, so just taking whatever price they can get is a short term (short sighted?) policy which isn't very healthy long term.
legomatt

Postby Bellicose » Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am

Sooo why was my post purged - I wasn't complaining about prices, and it seemed pursuant to the 'pics or it didn't happen' comments.

Maybe it's because I put up a direct link. Anyway several of the new sets are up and in stock on toysrus' website. Enjoy.
Bellicose

Postby onions » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:13 pm

no, it was purged because i had originally moved it here:

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4177

since you posted it in the wrong forum.

and then realized it was already reported by Vegaxe. so it was just being repetitive and then i decided to just axe it.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Draykov » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:20 pm

8129 AT-AT review @ Eurobricks

Looks like white pupils on minifigs has finally come into vogue in the SW line.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby yankeeken » Sat Jul 17, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks for the link Draykov. I've been waiting for a review of the new AT-AT.
yankeeken

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:43 am

Thanks. I've been looking for a review of 8129 since I got the set yesterday. It confirms my hope that what I noticed in my set is a defect and not the norm.

I guess everybody was expecting the cockpit to be a sticker, even though the part was printed for the original 4483 AT-AT. But it was quite a shock to find a white sticker sheet! :shock:
Yes, it did happen and here is the pic to prove it. White on grey is not ok.

Luckily the sticker sheet shown in the review is obviously clear, so it is just my sheet that was printed wrongly.

Guess I will just start building the set anyway and not apply the stickers until customer service sends me a new sheet.
Gingerbeard Man

Senate Commando Captain (8128)

Postby PIG » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:01 am

Does anyone have any high res pics of the new Senate Commando Captain minifig that is included with Cad Bane's speeder?
PIG

Postby Draykov » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:38 pm

You could always try the zoom function on the Shop@Home site.

http://shop.lego.com/Product/?p=8128&sk ... 0000000000
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby jallenuk » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:52 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:Thanks. I've been looking for a review of 8129 since I got the set yesterday. It confirms my hope that what I noticed in my set is a defect and not the norm.

I guess everybody was expecting the cockpit to be a sticker, even though the part was printed for the original 4483 AT-AT. But it was quite a shock to find a white sticker sheet! :shock:
Yes, it did happen and here is the pic to prove it. White on grey is not ok.

Luckily the sticker sheet shown in the review is obviously clear, so it is just my sheet that was printed wrongly.

Guess I will just start building the set anyway and not apply the stickers until customer service sends me a new sheet.

Mine is also a white sticker - hope we get them sorted.
jallenuk
Staff Writer

Postby that guy » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:51 pm

I have purchased this whole collection and built them, and while I don't disagree with the comments concerning whether the sets are a good value in general, the Wampa set really is the odd-ball in the lot as far as pricing goes only because nobody here really cares about the snowspeeder so it clearly "appears" overpriced (and I'm not disagreeing). But it fits their box size and price point between Plo and Grievous, and the snowspeeder is just filler to hit that price point which I agree sucks. But that being said, the Slave 1 is a fair (but not a great) value at $80 since it's the best Slave so far, it's a substantial ship, and has mostly all new figures too. Grievous is fair considering the larger ship and extra figs over the original, the Turbo is maybe just barely fair (I agree it should've been a $99ish set) but one can only assume they needed the price point to replace the outgoing 8039 Venetor and it's still not that bad for $119 compared to the old turbo. I was as skeptical as anyone about them rehashing so many previous ships but they're actually really well done. Sure I'd like to pay 2007 prices for them but every one of the these rehashed ships has it's previous counterpart selling for the same or more on Ebay or BL so who's to say what's a value or not??
that guy

Postby kelano28 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:05 pm

that guy wrote:Grievous is fair considering the larger ship and extra figs over the original

Well this is the only new set I've built and I completely agree. Minfig-wise this is way better than the original and just a solid and fun ship to build, and I can only hope the other new sets are designed as well.

And Cad Bane's Speeder looks like an A.S.S. Model Contest entry :S
kelano28

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:06 pm

kelano28 wrote:And Cad Bane's Speeder looks like an A.S.S. Model Contest entry :S

Actually, it's "sarlacc" contest entry now.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby kelano28 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 pm

ThatGuyWithTheBricks wrote:
kelano28 wrote:And Cad Bane's Speeder looks like an A.S.S. Model Contest entry :S

Actually, it's "sarlacc" contest entry now.

That would explain the autocorrection, woops.
kelano28

Postby charmeleon » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:27 am

Just an FYI, don't know if anyone else has posted it yet, but 2nd wave has well and truely hit Australia. We have had it trickling out over the past month or so, with the Wampa cave and Turbo tank.... but just now went to the local KMart and they had just stocked most of the rest of 2nd wave! I picked up:
Slave 1
Palpatines shuttle
Grievous starfighter
Plo Koons starfighter

Only ones from 2nd wave I have yet to see here now are Cad banes speeder and the new AT-AT
charmeleon

Postby naked rowlf » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Is it just me or does it seem like it's taking longer than usual for USA shop at home to get the new sets in? Does anyone know an ETA..?
naked rowlf

Postby that guy » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:51 pm

I couldn't agree more as my local stores (not just TRU) have the new sets now. Maybe Lego is consciously giving the secondary sellers a shot first before flooding their stores and .com? With Lego's intentional pushing out of smaller retailers and gearing towards Big Box only shops I can't help and wonder if this isn't their way of throwing those stores a "bone"???
that guy

Postby MisterFubar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:00 pm

I believe they have a shelf date of August 6th, and any store you see them at wasn't supposed to put them out until then. TRU always seems to put them out early.
MisterFubar

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars