Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 2010 sets!!!????

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New 2010 sets!!!????

Postby legomatt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:32 pm

I agree, even though i have NO At-At in my collection, and I reeeally wanted to like this, i won't be buying it after all. I don't know where to start, it just looks wrong from every angle... it just doesn't stack up with the attention to detail of other models, and given that the motorized at-at is still in production i see no reason that printed leg joints can't continue to be included.

I know i've mentioned it before, but the more i look at it, the more it really does become an inflated Battle Pack (of random hoth minifigs), with a half-baked midi-at-at thrown in, but at a price that no doubt will be far higher than any BP's.

I so wanted an At-AT, and hoped this would be the one, but I guess i'll pass until a 4th or 5th version gets done (hopefully big enough to seat 2 drivers, a neck compartment that a minifig can be dropped through into the body which seats troopers, on legs that look capable of taking 'weight' and crushing a snowspeeder, with an underbelly that has a hatch that blows out).
legomatt

Postby brownie69yov4 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:03 am

boy that AT-AT is just brutal, what a complete step in the wrong direction. the original AT-AT is still one of my favorite sets, incredible detail and the over all look is just great. This new one looks like a watered down version of the previous, no plate or disc printing... and so skinny... This is the first time in recent memory I have said this, but this is definitely a skip in my book, and I am the ultimate apologist when it comes to new sets. And one more thing...price has been rumored at $120 right? I cannot believe that TLC would strip an older set down and charge $20 more...blame inflation I guess but this is a shot at the consumer, Hasbro unveils their new big AT-AT and lego does this... I wonder how it will sell...

I almost made a shot at the box art too for saying "New" next to the minifigs because as far as I could see there wasn't any, but after going back and reading some posts it is obvious it is the cloud city Han we haven't seen, the only good thing about this set but im calling it now- Magnet set with new Cloud city Han, New Pilot Luke, or maybe Luke in Hoth Gear and a Hoth Rebel soldier.
brownie69yov4

Postby Captain Typo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:19 pm

Actually, looking at the two images together, and one can see that this was soooooo painfully close to being almost a direct rerelease of the original, the only differences being that this one has smaller proportions in certain places (e.g., the head cannons, the "hips", parts of the torso). I'd post pictures of them side by side, but I've forgotten how to resize pictures... :x Is there a thread on that here? I'd better go check now...
"Yippie-ki-yay, my friend."

-John McLane, Die Hard With a Vengeance- The TV Edit
Captain Typo

Location: Trapped inside a quadrilateral receptacle that is in front of you

Postby Erahtapivar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:44 am

The Brickmaster AT-AT mini looks horrible in comparison to the 2003 mini model.
The legs look pretty weird and out of proportion and the body looks like a big cube.
I won't be signing up for Brickmaster.
"Reality continues to ruin my life."--Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

"College or Bust!" at http://www.odddoodles.webs.com!
Erahtapivar

Postby legofett » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:20 pm

Whysa Yousa guysa Hatin' on the new AT-AT? ;) I missed the motorized. And was an iresonsible destructive 9-year old when I ruined the 2003 beauty. :x So I will definatly be picking this baby up. I wouldn't be hoping on another re-release as the unfortunate, but inevitable death of Lego Star wars will be likley within the next 3 years.
legofett

Postby ThatGuyWithTheBricks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:11 pm

legofett wrote:Whysa Yousa guysa Hatin' on the new AT-AT? ;) I missed the motorized. And was an iresonsible destructive 9-year old when I ruined the 2003 beauty. :x So I will definatly be picking this baby up. I wouldn't be hoping on another re-release as the unfortunate, but inevitable death of Lego Star wars will be likley within the next 3 years.

Why? The motorized one is still available at S@H in the US. The only thing I hate about it is it's pathetic uselessness. And that TLG didn't use the printed joint-dishes.
I build it so you don't have to!
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/people/36880009@N02/
For the record, if you want to refer to me but don't want to type my name, call me TGWTB.
ThatGuyWithTheBricks

Postby that guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:25 pm

yankeeken wrote:It appears that there is a new magnet set featuring Kit Fisto, Barriss Offee and a Captain Jag on its way.

These just hit the Lego.com site as Available and is sure be a hot seller.
http://shop.lego.com/product/?p=852947& ... &ShipTo=US
that guy

Postby Bellicose » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:28 pm

Man, I've been checking the S@H site every day to see if the new wave of product has been listed, this July promo w free shipping really helps out...but so far, nuthin'. Bummer.

It's not that I've got money burning a hole in my pocket exactly, but that I'm bored/stressed.
Bellicose

Postby Brickweiser » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:44 pm

I wanted to like this AT-AT but it's honestly a horrid disappointment. The figures are random, and nothing special. The General Veers is just a regular Hoth Imperial Officer with a different face, and the Pilot Luke is not what I expected. After making a effort to make a Zev Senesca with printed visor and chin strap but opt out of including a special luke head with the same print. I'll just bricklink the new Luke helmet (it does in fact look new) and the new Han (which I like). Other than that, more money towards the new Lambda Shuttle.
Brickweiser

Postby Bellicose » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:54 pm

So with regards to General Veers, what were you expecting? The previous editions (I think only available with the motorized AT/AT) didn't have near the chest detail, just the plain grey Imperial officer. It's been awhile since I looked at mine (he's in the cockpit of the AT/AT, and I have it displayed on a very high shelf that I can't get to), but I think he either has the generic grinning face, or the goggles of the AT/ST pilot. Either way, this figure is more detailed than Veers has been in the past.

Luke is...Luke. I guess I'm getting tired with him and his magnetic line/lightsaber being included in every AT/AT kit, but if we wasn't people would be just as upset as they are with the Emperor and Imperial Honor Guards not being included with the upcoming Shuttle (even though they've been in each of the previous versions of it as well).

The figures I don't understand including are Han and C-3PO...at least the Han is a new one. I'd have taken more Snowtroopers or Rebel Troopers instead, I know they're available in the battle packs but the idea of a battle of Hoth scene is there's supposed to be lots of troops! Meh I guess I'm looking at it from a diorama/AFOL point of view, and not a kid playing with major characters one.

Speaking of battle packs, I wish the Atgar cannon from this had been included with the Rebel battle pack, and not that stupid repulsorlift sled tank thing (which was entirely made up). For this, I'd have included laser cannon turret and possibly another trench line like are in the Battle of Hoth set.

Maybe it'd have been better instead of the rebel contingent, to include a snowspeeder and some sort of line/clear support so you could model it lasso-ing the AT/AT? That'd have belonged here more than it does in the Wampa snowcave set...
Bellicose

Postby MrCRskater » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:25 pm

Well, now that the price and exclusivity of the upcoming AT-AT have been revealed, I can no longer defend it. As many have said, it is not nearly as detailed as the original 4483 but is demanding the same price, which is totally bogus. It would have made sense for them to offer this iteration with less detail for a more reasonable $50 or so, allowing a larger audience access to an AT-AT model (given that the previous two incarnations were both big-ticket items). Though I have had some qualms with pricing within the SW line in the last couple of years, this is the first instance that truly qualifies as shameless gouging. All I can hope for is that this will not be a trend-setter from a retail standpoint. . .
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby The Brain » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:45 pm

Bellicose wrote:Speaking of battle packs, I wish the Atgar cannon from this had been included with the Rebel battle pack, and not that stupid repulsorlift sled tank thing (which was entirely made up). For this, I'd have included laser cannon turret and possibly another trench line like are in the Battle of Hoth set.

Just for reference, the vehicle in the rebel battlepack is a Laser ice cutter, which was to be used as a last line of defense on Hoth. I find the little model to be pretty neat, and a good, solid battlepack vehicle. Don't get me wrong: an Atgar cannon would be fine too, but I'm satisfied with the ice cutter in the rebel bp.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Bellicose » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:22 am

The Brain wrote:Just for reference, the vehicle in the rebel battlepack is a Laser ice cutter, which was to be used as a last line of defense on Hoth. I find the little model to be pretty neat, and a good, solid battlepack vehicle. Don't get me wrong: an Atgar cannon would be fine too, but I'm satisfied with the ice cutter in the rebel bp.

Wow, no kidding. I generally know a fair bit about Star Wars, but I completely didn't know about this. Huh, from a deleted scene...interesting. I can respect its' inclusion a lot more now!
Bellicose

Postby The Brain » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:37 am

Haha, someone else brought that to the forum's attention earlier this year when we first found out about the battlepacks, so I remember the reference.

Back on topic: I'm still pretty disappointed with this AT-AT. I suppose that it might have gotten me to bite if I had never bought the original (which I firmly believe is superior), but even the inclusion of some nifty figs (i.e. new Han) can persuade me. Besides, we know Han will just show up in some magnet set this year.
The Brain

Postby fallenangel327 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 pm

Bellicose wrote:So with regards to General Veers, what were you expecting? The previous editions (I think only available with the motorized AT/AT) didn't have near the chest detail, just the plain grey Imperial officer. It's been awhile since I looked at mine (he's in the cockpit of the AT/AT, and I have it displayed on a very high shelf that I can't get to), but I think he either has the generic grinning face, or the goggles of the AT/ST pilot. Either way, this figure is more detailed than Veers has been in the past.

Luke is...Luke. I guess I'm getting tired with him and his magnetic line/lightsaber being included in every AT/AT kit...

I'd have taken more Snowtroopers or Rebel Troopers instead, I know they're available in the battle packs but the idea of a battle of Hoth scene is there's supposed to be lots of troops! ...

Speaking of battle packs, I wish the Atgar cannon from this had been included with the Rebel battle pack, and not that stupid repulsorlift sled tank thing (which was entirely made up). For this, I'd have included laser cannon turret and possibly another trench line like are in the Battle of Hoth set.

Maybe it'd have been better instead of the rebel contingent, to include a snowspeeder and some sort of line/clear support so you could model it lasso-ing the AT/AT? That'd have belonged here more than it does in the Wampa snowcave set...

With regards to your first statement Bellicose, there's not really much point in making a minifigure more detailed if that detail isn't accurate to the character on which it is based. (Other than for MOCing, of course; from a "LEGO set" point of view, no.)

Of course they should include Luke with his line and lightsaber, it's quite a memorable scene from the film and one of the few things LEGO got right on this beast.

Somebody told me something like this when I was complaining about major characters in the LAAT/i and AT-TE LEGO released some time ago; if the troops were in the big sets, there'd be no reason to buy the battlepacks. So we would never even get a laser ice cutter or an Atgar cannon. (Although I like the idea of trenches...)

I disagree with the last statement; attempting to include a snowspeeder with the AT-AT would not only jack up the price but prevent the snowspeeder from being sold as a separate set, as with the AT-ST in the 8038 Endor playset. Secondly, like the AT-ST in the 8038 Endor playset, there would have to be major reductions in size, detail, and proportion if a snowspeeder were included, which would probably disappoint more than a few Empire fans. Lastly, I'm not interested in another LEGO snowspeeder unless it was a real re-design (not like the ones with the Hoth Base set or the Wampa Cave), and even then, I wouldn't want it as part of some $100+ set that some of us wouldn't be able to afford.
fallenangel327

Postby Bellicose » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:06 pm

Doing this again since the original photo of the box was taken down/re-linked, and now we've got a hi-res photo, and I'm tired of searching back 9 pages so I can compare these two.

Now that we've seen the width addressed (in the initial very small pics it looked narrower)...what all is it missing? Printed discs on the legs, and some detail around the cockpit? Internal structure?

EDIT - I like 4483's protective plates over the ankle joints better. And just some odd decisions on what plates to change color or texture on, it does seem like 8129 is a lesser kit now.

Good points on the inclusion of the speeder increasing cost...yes, even if half the minifigures were deleted in its place, the cost would still be higher.
Bellicose

Postby legofett » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:29 pm

The Brain wrote:
Bellicose wrote:Speaking of battle packs, I wish the Atgar cannon from this had been included with the Rebel battle pack, and not that stupid repulsorlift sled tank thing (which was entirely made up). For this, I'd have included laser cannon turret and possibly another trench line like are in the Battle of Hoth set.

Just for reference, the vehicle in the rebel battlepack is a Laser ice cutter, which was to be used as a last line of defense on Hoth. I find the little model to be pretty neat, and a good, solid battlepack vehicle. Don't get me wrong: an Atgar cannon would be fine too, but I'm satisfied with the ice cutter in the rebel bp.

If that is true, then this tops the most obscure model of the Lego Star Wars line even the Landing Craft, Swamp Speeder, and AT-OT/Dropship. :shock:
legofett

Postby The Brain » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:31 pm

Umm...I don't think any of those three are all that obscure. But yes, the ice cutter is quite a well-kept secret; I only know about from another member's mentioning it on here.
The Brain

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:31 pm

Of course not - the most obscure model of the Star Wars line would have to be the Century tank:
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE_Crawler :lol:
Since the laser ice cutter is in the movies (however briefly) that automatically moves it up in the "well known vehicles" ladder. On the other hand, I doubt most children nowadays have read the Dark Empire comic books. XD
And don't forget other such obscurities as the TIE/d from the TIE collection, the Ten Nunb minifigure (if those count), and - considering it was in only one game - the Rogue Shadow. (LEGO hasn't made a Virago, so ships from any other multimedia franchise are just as obscure.) :roll:

And yes, I agree that the Landing Craft, Swamp Speeder, and AT-OT/Dropship are all fairly obscure ships.

About the new AT-AT - proportions, my friends, proportions.
fallenangel327

Postby legofett » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:33 pm

:facepalm: I can't believe I forgot about all those EU sets sorry, I guess I was just thinking of movie-wise.
legofett

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars