Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 2010 sets!!!????

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New 2010 sets!!!????

Postby meeotch » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:11 am

jomandybri wrote:In Australia, we don't have the 2nd season of CW yet, but has Jag appeared in any or is he expected to??? If not, it could be assumed that it is from Ep. III, as Wookiepedia only lists him as appearing in III, and and EU flashback appearance.

I don't recall him appearing in any episodes yet this season. He may be one of those details that's really only covered in the novelization of the movie.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby ShockZap » Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:00 am

Found this

Here's the translation:

I present the review of the 8087 - TIE Defender. This powerful space fighter has participated in several battles, mostly in the imperial camp, and especially after the Battle of Endor, although the first prototypes were first used in the Battle of Hoth. This game appears in various expanded universe novels, and debuted in the video game "TIE-Fighter" in 1994, but also makes appearances in other games of galactic saga.

After suffering heavy casualties in the ranks of fighters TIE fighters, the empire began to realize that the strategy of using lots of lightly armed fighters was perhaps not effective, and it was better to use fewer fighters, but more powerful and better armed. The TIE Defender emerged as space superiority fighter interceptor to serve as imperial, and since its inception, its specifications were designed for the superiority in combat. The TIE Defender has 3 pairs of wings folded outwards, thus earning the solar surface. It has advanced hyperdrive and deflector shields, and a new version of TIE engines that allow exceptional maneuverability. With 140 MGLT the standard power setting is more agile than an A-Wing, a TIE Interceptor, or even a TIE-Avenger, his predecessor. Besides all this, the TIE Defender is heavily armed: in its standard configuration, has 4 laser cannons and two ion cannons, and two launchers (torpedoes or concussion missiles, depending on the mission). This game point for point than any other fighter of his time. It is more versatile than an X-Wing, with powerful shields and hyperdrive, are better armed than a B-Wing, with up to 6 separate weapons and launchers, and more agile than an A-Wing. Its only downside is that it is expensive to manufacture as much as 5 TIE-Fighters. So the number of active TIE-Defenders was not very high, and they could pilot the TIE Interceptor those pilots who had survived more than 20 fights. Thus it was assured that the pilots of TIE-Defenders were the best ... or those who had more luck.

Apart from this set, no other Lego set (so far) to denote this ship, even if sets are represented as various types of TIE fighters.

Note: In the review I have not included all the pictures I have taken the set, only the essential. The rest can be seen in Photo Gallery. In addition, clicking on the pictures, they will in large format.

The box is of medium size, and an almost square format, but is slightly taller than wide. You silk and color scheme similar to the Clone Wars sets 2009. The cover of the box shows an image of the TIE Defender in battle, and in the lower left corner, an image that includes two minifigures. The box opens up, ripping the tabs and tabs side zeal, and has no portfolio:

The box shows an image behind the set and some of its details, and other Star Wars sets 2010. At the top are also shown two minifigures which includes the set:

The Test Box TM reveals that much of it is empty, following the trend of recent times

Inside the box we find 3 bags numbered two with the number "2" and another bag with the number "1", and the instruction manual. No stickers:

The manual details each step the pieces to be used, and has the final inventory of parts. The pieces in the bag marked with the number "1" are used for the body of the TIE Defender, and parts of the bags marked with the number "2" are used for the wings:

As the first set of 2010 we review include an image of one of the last pages of the manual, which is a render with the new Star Wars sets 2010 and some Star Wars 2009:

Then at the end of the instructions are drawings that are very reminiscent of the comics that were coming in the manuals of the early models Star Wars 10 years ago:

These are the parts ordered:

The construction of the set is not very long, nor is it particularly complicated steps, except you have to align the two Technic Rotor 3 Blade used as an anchor of the wings and stands. The 3 wings are identical, so there are several steps that are repeated.

As usual, you start riding the minifigs. Next to them are 3 rooms that had not seen so far:

First is mounted the body of the spacecraft, after the cabin and support for the 3 wings:

When mounted on the body, are constructed 3 wings, which are identical, starting from the middle of each wing which then are added solar panelsThat bind to the middle of each wing with two Technic Angle Connector # 4 each:

These are the pieces left over from editing:

Photo of the set ended:

These are the minifigs, an imperial pilot with a new model and a stormtrooper helmet:

Details of the new model of the hull, very able compared to "real", and its comparison with the pilot of 4479 - TIE Bomber:

TIE-Defender photo behind. The wings are fixed and can not be opened or closed. The ion engine is well settled:

Of course the cabin opens similar to that of 8017 - Vader's TIEBut no controls or levers of any kind:

The cab can rotate around its axis, much like the cabin of 6208 B-Wing. You can also TIE Defender rotate around the cabin, Which occurs at the swooshes, obtaining thereby a gyroscopic cockpit:

Another view. The set can be held horizontally on one or two wings, or vertically up leaning on the back of the 3 wings:

A flick-missile the end of each wing, 6 in total. Moreover, the missiles seem to flick-guns:

A comparison with the actual model. Ideally, the set had been included in each wing a round 2x2 Tile imperial emblem (reason to have stayed at Pick A Brick ):

Here you can view a video from 8087:
TIE Defender

Comparison with Vader's TIE Advanced 8017:

Another comparison with 8017:

Pros:
- Fairly large.
- Is the universe expanded.
- Model of imperial pilot helmet.
- Schedule of modern colors.
- Gameplay decent.
- No stickers.

Cons:
- As the price at which it goes on sale, I'll put it here or not.
- The cabin has no controls or levers.
- The part between the wings and body is a bit skeletal.

Conclusion
This set belongs to the Star Wars expanded universe. There are many sets that are of this subthematic, and of them, this is perhaps the best known, and appears in several novels and video games. After an entertaining construction, in line star wars models who prowl the number of pieces (about 300), the final model is large enough, since its open design makes the wings expand outward. It is a ship very showy, with an aggressive design and color scheme is gray / black that has been used in recent TIEs, much more successful than the last.

The only criticism of this design is that the part where the wings join the body is very skeletal. In the real model is more robust, some would say the wings closer together the body than they are in the Lego model. In addition, recreation is fine, and recognizes which model perfectly represents this set. In addition, the ship is perfectly swoosheable, but turn the car not being fixed, and the wings vibrate a little when moving, but nothing worrisome.

As for the gameplay, for a TAR is not bad. You can open and close the shower, turn the cab (or turn the cabin alone to move the TAR) and there are up to 6 flick-launching missiles that can. Moreover, the minifigs that includes the set are fine, as it includes the obligatory TIE pilot and a stormtrooper, with the added advantage that the imperial pilot model brings a new helmet, very well done and recreated.

In conclusion, without being a "must-have is a model recommended for fans of Star Wars, especially to complete the collection of TIEs, because a ship is original, playable, and a new imperial pilot helmet very cool.

Ratings:
Construction: 8.5, very entertaining but the wings are repetitive.
Gameplay: 9, not bad for a TIE, has quite a lot.
Design: 8.5, well done and swoosheable, although somewhat "skeletal" in some areas.
Fidelity to the real model: 8.25, good recreation area unless that has already been discussed.
Rooms: 8.75, good selection overall.
Price: N / A (will update this section when you publish your PVP to Spain ).
Analyst's personal note: 8.5, a good model, colorful and original.
FINAL NOTE: 8.6

Please read the review! Hope you like it.

Full gallery of photos and the finished model
Gallery model building

Video of 8087:
TIE Defender

Note: Photos made at ISO 80, LEICA VARIO 50mm objective SUMMICRON, tele autofocus, exposure with aperture priority and set the white balance white cardboard background. Exhibition set to +2 EV. Opening variable depending on the shot, usually f4.5 for general shots. Variable speed depending on the shot, usually 1 / 20 second. No flash. No post processing.
I'm probably cooler than all of you combined.

[*Account "temporarily" suspended for excessive rude behavior to other members. Big shocker there - Don]
ShockZap

Postby banthafodder » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:54 pm

Looks like this should be in the "review" section.
banthafodder

Postby onions » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:25 pm

not his review though.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby The Brain » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:35 pm

jomandybri wrote:In the ARC, it says that the pilot is Captain Jag. Here is some info on him: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Captain_Jag
It states that General Plo Koon selected him (thus eliminating the question of why include Plo Koon) after he was disgraced.

However, it is not Plo Koon who appears in this set--Kit Fisto is included.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby banthafodder » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:03 pm

onions wrote:not his review though.

Why would I let some pesky rules interfere with making a good snide remark. ;)
banthafodder

Postby BlueDragonZ » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:13 pm

Looks to be a great set but at $50. I probably will not get it.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Draykov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:17 am

Fumoffu of Eurobricks with a scoop: 8091 Republic Swamp Speeder (supposedly from the LEGO Magazine). Let the wild speculation continue!

[Image replaced because the original sucked]
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby onions » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:17 am

let me be the first.

first of all, i'd like to tip my hat to the photographer. it's quality images like these that FBTB should be reporting on and it pains me when another site gets the goods.

secondly, based on the currently known pricing vectors, it is safe to say that this set appears to have about 198 pieces and will retail for $39.99, $44.99 TRU.

the minifigs: based on the detail in the torso and the flesh colored head and hands with the black hood, it is safe to say we are finally getting Jedi Jimmy's brother, Jedi Jeremiah, who was ruthlessly murdered on Tatooine from Order 66, just before Jedi Jeremiah was about to interrogate the two battle droids and the super battle droid. You see, Jeremiah and the clone trooper, who i have on good authority, is Captain Triceratops, arrived in the Speeder after visiting Yoda on Dagobah, hence the name 'Swamp Speeder'.

Also, based on this photo, TLG is including some swamp leaf elements to the underside coated with indigenous bacteria from Dagobah. Left unchecked, the bacteria mutates and actually directly leads to the causes of Joe Schrieber's Zombie Trooper's novel.

TLG hit an absolute home run with this set. It's amazing how they were able to tie in everything together with a small but significant $40 dollar set (65 euros).
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Turkguy19 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:20 am

I agree with that assessment.
Turkguy19

Postby Dano » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:37 pm

Higher res pic of the Swamp Speeder:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sirdano/41 ... 8/sizes/o/
Dano

Postby BlueDragonZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:49 pm

The Swarm Speeder Box Art is out.

onions wrote:TLG hit an absolute home run with this set. It's amazing how they were able to tie in everything together with a small but significant $40 dollar set

And like onions said, this set will be retailed at $40.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Turkguy19 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:52 pm

Ace was being sarcastic....
Turkguy19

Postby BlueDragonZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:55 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:Ace was being sarcastic....

Looks like what he said is real in fact. A limited edition set with that size of a box like pirate tank, falcon is gonna be overprice to $40 instead of $30.

Btw, heres also the box art for the luke's landspeeder found at amazon.de. I'm guessing this will be $30.
BlueDragonZ

Postby Jargon » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:12 pm

Ace? Sarcastic? Say it ain't so!
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Turkguy19 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:22 pm

Looks like what he said is real in fact. A limited edition set with that size of a box like pirate tank, falcon is gonna be overprice to $40 instead of $30.

It's not fact until TLG actually releases the prices. Fact isnt something you can pull out of your butt.
Turkguy19

Postby onions » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:22 pm

BlueDragonZ wrote:
Turkguy19 wrote:Ace was being sarcastic....

Btw, heres also the box art for the luke's landspeeder found at amazon.de. I'm guessing this will be $30.

wrongo bucko. you're still guessing.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby CoR3Bu » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:40 pm

Nice pictures. Where did you get the Swarm Speeder one? It looks pretty decent,
but it'll probably be a rip off. Same with the Landspeeder. :S

-The Colonel
CoR3Bu

Postby Andi » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:46 pm

BlueDragonZ wrote:Btw, heres also the box art for the luke's landspeeder found at amazon.de. I'm guessing this will be $30.

26.99 Euro, so I guess you get it for 19.99 Dollar
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Draykov » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:48 pm

onions wrote:who i have on good authority, is Captain Triceratops

Coolest...clone name...ever.
Hail Space!
Draykov

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars