Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 2010 sets!!!????

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New 2010 sets!!!????

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:34 am

Blacknight wrote:Forget 100% accurate, the scale of the new one isn't even in the correct ballpark. For me, scale IS an important issue, hence why I commented on it. For example, I skipped the playset ISD and will be skipping the new Venator because the scale is just too far off.

So you skipped the non-UCS Millennium Falcons? And the AT-AT? And Jabba's Sail Barge? I daresay ALL of those (and many other of what I would consider the highlights of the line) are MUCH further off-scale than the Sith Infiltrator was. I think it is somewhat odd to expect LEGO to make a ship model that is to come with only a single minifigure much larger than the Sith Infiltrators were.

I still maintain that quibbling about scale on a LEGO set (proportions, fine, but scale?) is somewhat picky. But to each their own. (And the problem with the new Destroyer Droid wasn't so much one of scale, but one of sheer ugliness, and looking less like a Destroyer Droid than the last model. The new Sith Infiltrator was, IMHO anyway, far LESS ugly, and looked MORE like the source material. Not perfect, but better, and I'm having a hard time picturing how anybody could look at the two and prefer the look of the first.)

EDIT: After doing further research, I am somewhat red-faced. I must admit that the Infiltrator appears to be at least a bit more (and in some cases, a lot more) off-scale than any of those other models I mentioned (though they ARE all wildly off-scale as well). I guess I never realized how big the Sith Infiltrator was supposed to be- probably due to its minimal screen time, and the fact that it is essentially a one-man ship. I still maintain that there was never a prayer of it being done to anything approaching the proper scale, simply because it wouldn't sell. IMHO it is not an iconic enough ship to sell a model at the massive dimensions a "to scale" version would require (the thing is almost as long as the Falcon).
Mister Ed

Postby Draykov » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:50 am

This probalby goes without saying, as it's been said often before, but the best anyone can hope for is a close approximation of scale given the fact that minifigs are not of the same proportions as an actual human being.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Athos » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:51 pm

How are the amazon.de listings kosher under RTB policies?

Or is that even in effect anymore?

Steve
Athos

Postby Firespray » Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:57 pm

Athos wrote:How are the amazon.de listings kosher under RTB policies?

Or is that even in effect anymore?

Steve

RTB was done away with when the new site launched.
Firespray

Postby Solo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:37 pm

This is the future man, welcome to it!
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Teekay » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:22 am

Yep, that's the first time Respect the Brick has even been mentioned since shortly after the launch of the site. I guess it is the way of the future...

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby batsamd » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:35 am

It seems a lot of people are interested in the TIE Defender, am I missing something?

I had to look it up online, because I've never seen or heard of them, and am not impressed with it. Honestly, the first thing I thought to myself was that it looked dorky.

As I mentioned, I've never read or seen anything about them until now, so am wondering if there is something special about them besides the 3 solar panel arrays instead of the usual 2?

Where has the TIE Defender been used before, in comics, books, games, etc.? I don't read any SW books or comics, but if it's in a game, I would be tempted to try it out for myself.

At least for me, this vehicle, if it does come out next year, would be a pass, but I am curious to see if there is something about the vehicle that I am unaware of.
batsamd

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:59 am

batsamd wrote:Where has the TIE Defender been used before, in comics, books, games, etc.? I don't read any SW books or comics, but if it's in a game, I would be tempted to try it out for myself.

My only exposure to it was YEARS ago in the various X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-wing vs. TIE Fighter space combat simulator games. I'm sure it has been used more since then, and may even have been mentioned in books, etc.
Mister Ed

Postby Frylock_Dude » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:36 am

Mister Ed wrote:
batsamd wrote:Where has the TIE Defender been used before, in comics, books, games, etc.? I don't read any SW books or comics, but if it's in a game, I would be tempted to try it out for myself.

My only exposure to it was YEARS ago in the various X-Wing/TIE Fighter/X-wing vs. TIE Fighter space combat simulator games. I'm sure it has been used more since then, and may even have been mentioned in books, etc.

IIRC, it was in almost every Star Wars video game of the mid 90's while also being in a decent amount of EU books. It's probably the most recognizable TIE variant not shown in the movies.
Frylock_Dude

Postby cadbane123 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:07 pm

I have Empire AT War, and the expansion Forces of Corruptoin. The tie deffender was featered in that along with the tie phantom
It's Bane, Cad Bane
cadbane123

Postby The Brain » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 pm

It's also featured in Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike. It's friggin impossible to kill.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby cadbane123 » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:50 pm

It is? What level?
It's Bane, Cad Bane
cadbane123

Postby The Brain » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:20 am

My mistake--that was the TIE Hunter.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Interesting thought I saw on Euro Bricks, they were estimating contents of the new 2010 sets based on mass:

BPs: 100g
Freeco speeder: 400g
trifighter: 499g
defender: 799g
Arc-170: 899g
Landspeeder: 300g

The land speeder from the Cantina set was 110g or so. The entire set was 521g.
Flesh Skywalker

Postby Joedward » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:19 pm

Those are the numbers given by the particular amazon pages, not just members' guesses.

And man, I can not wait for the TIE Defender, I loved that ship so much in the various games. I hope they do it justice, and gorram it, I hope there's no blue.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby CoR3Bu » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm

Joedward wrote:Those are the numbers given by the particular amazon pages, not just members' guesses.

And man, I can not wait for the TIE Defender, I loved that ship so much in the various games. I hope they do it justice, and gorram it, I hope there's no blue.

People would slay Lego if it was blue and black, but then again most of their TIEs
are blue and black, so... I might pick it up. I do hope it's gray and black, though.

-The Colonel
CoR3Bu

Postby Flynn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:10 pm

It probably will be, there's no real reason for abadoning the grey/black scheme when they recently released the TIE Advanced in the scheme.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Joedward wrote:Those are the numbers given by the particular amazon pages, not just members' guesses.

Thanks, I didn't have much time when I posted, I realize the weights have to be estimates because of their roundness.
I'm going to guess the following prices:

BPs: $10
Freeco speeder: $30
trifighter: $40
defender: $55
Arc-170: $60
Landspeeder: $20
Flesh Skywalker

Postby jomandybri » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:42 am

i too noticed these weights and was wondering whether anyone could do a piece estimate based on these weights.
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Dalek Caan » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:51 am

I'd say that'd be hard, especially the landspeeder. If it weighs twice the amount thant the origional, thatn maybe they are using (or re-using) peices (Greedo head, Jawa's, etc..). The Arc 170 will probably be the same as the old one in terms of peice numbers / sizes.
Dalek Caan

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars