Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

UCS collection almost complete

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

UCS collection almost complete

Postby thesilverspyder » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm so glad to finally be on the forums! I've been waiting what seems like forever to register.

Little intro... my name is Josh and it just dawned on me a couple years ago that my favorite childhood toy and my favorite childhood movie had come together in a glorious way. I don't know what rock I was living under not to notice sooner, but nevertheless, here I am. If anyone wants to get to know me more, check out my youtube channel in my sig.

Now, onto my topic... I've only got a few more UCS Star Wars models to purchase before I have them all. I need the Motorized AT-AT, both death stars, and the falcon. The death star has been on sale for a while, but I'm wondering if it will be discounted more than $69 in the US where I am. I don't particularly care for the set, but I need it to complete my collection. The other three models I need are not on sale at the moment although I could afford the AT-AT, I'm not in the habit of paying retail for hunks of plastic no matter how epic they are.

Does anyone know how long the death star will be on sale and/or if it will be discounted deeper?
See my entire collection built piece by piece!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dollarsignfrodofan77
thesilverspyder

Re: UCS collection almost complete

Postby Teekay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:11 pm

I can only guess, but:

The UCS ISD was released in 2002 (correct me if I'm wrong).

The UCS DSII was released in 2005.

The UCS ISD was discontinnues in 2008.

By my reasoning, you're good for a couple more years.

But don't base your idea off of just my reasoning.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:19 pm

First off, stop by this thread if you want to give a more through introduction. :)

Secondly, no one can really say for sure when/if a set will get a deeper discount, or when it will be fully sold out. Typically sets have a 2 year shelf life, but it's longer on some and shorter for others. You're rolling the dice really... it can pay of or cost you more in the end depending on the outcome.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Teekay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:32 pm

Solo wrote:Typically sets have a 2 year shelf life

That's true, Don, but, UCS sets usually last for three or more years. The ISD lasted six.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:41 pm

That's why I said some last longer. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Super33 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:42 pm

I really don't think the motorized AT-AT is a UCS set. But I could be wrong...
If it were me I would focus on the Falcon next. Because you are rolling the dice I wouldn't want to put that set on the line and miss a reasonable price. With the economy the way it is I can't image Lego will sell very many more of these for a very long period of time. So I don't think it would be a safe assumption to compare it's shelf life with that of the ISD. Judging by the way the X-wing's price inflated I would hate to see what the Falcon's price will turn into.
Super33

Postby Teekay » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:53 pm

Solo wrote:That's why I said some last longer. ;)

You are absolutely right. Sorry I ever doubted you. I just thought that I should specify. :)
Teekay

Postby Archangel » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:38 am

Grrrrr, and I am short the following:

X-Wing
Y-Wing
Snowspeeder
Cloud City
Yoda
Darth Maul
10188 Death Star
Archangel

Postby Andi » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:59 am

Super33 wrote:the X-wing's price inflated

You mean the UCS X-Wing?
Where did the price inflated?
I sold mine last month for just 100 Euro at ebay.

Is the motorized AT really an UCS? Because of the 5 digit number? But then, the Sandcrawler would have to be an UCS as well.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Teekay » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:14 am

I wouldn't even consider the 10188 Death Star a UCS. I think to be a UCS, it needs to have a display card. In my book, if it has a display card, it's UCS.

~Sam (Teekay)
Teekay

Postby Super33 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:57 am

Andi wrote:
Super33 wrote:the X-wing's price inflated

You mean the UCS X-Wing?
Where did the price inflated?
I sold mine last month for just 100 Euro at ebay.

Is the motorized AT really an UCS? Because of the 5 digit number? But then, the Sandcrawler would have to be an UCS as well.

X Wing 7191, they sell for around $400-$500 on Ebay, sometimes more. Almost what the 10179 Mellenium Falcon is selling for which has more then 3 times the pieces.
The AT AT is not a UCS and neither is the Sandcrawler. I never really understood why people say something is UCS just because of a 5 digit model number.
Super33

Postby thesilverspyder » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:21 am

First off, the motorized AT-AT is listed on LEGO's site as a UCS so I consider it one. But, the Sandcrawler was also listed as a UCS set, but didn't include a display card (which ticked me off)

Secondly, do you all really consider Cloud City, Maul, and Yoda to be UCS? Is it just because of the 5 digit set number? Cloud City, yes, I love. Does it come with a display card? I personally don't care for Maul and Yoda, or models of that type.

Lastly, someone said I should focus on the falcon while I can get it at a reasonable price? Where can I find the falcon for less that 499? I saw a post on here (before I could register and see it) on where I could get the falcon for 280 shipped. Now with the new forums I can't find that at all.
thesilverspyder

Postby Super33 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:36 am

In my opinion, if it doesn't say Ultimate Collector's Series on the box then it ain't.

I've seen the Falcon on Amazon for $399 with free shipping, that's the cheapest I've seen it. I got mine on ebay for $445 including shipping. I know I said "reasonable price", reasonable being compared to what it will be when it's no longer produced. I started collecting very recently and basically all I'm interested in are the UCS sets. So I focused on the ones that are still being sold at lego (10175 and 10174). Then I found a good deal for 7181. After that, there were 4 more that I really wanted, 10179, 7191, 10129, and 10134. Of those 4 10179 is still being produced and had the most reasonable price for parts when compared to the other 3. So I spent the money now so I won't have to spend 2 or 3 times that a year or 2 from now. The other 3 are already ALOT of money for what you're getting simply because they're no longer in production, especially the X-Wing and Snowspeeder.
Super33

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:06 am

thesilverspyder wrote:Lastly, someone said I should focus on the falcon while I can get it at a reasonable price? Where can I find the falcon for less that 499? I saw a post on here (before I could register and see it) on where I could get the falcon for 280 shipped. Now with the new forums I can't find that at all.

There's a news post on TBB about the Falcon being $100 off at Amazon, but that $280/shipped deal has long since passed– I think that was even before Christmas and only lasted for a couple days, if I remember correctly.

m19
Morgan19

Postby b4p » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Is LEGO going to ever put the star destroyer or the x-wing back in stock? They are selling the smaller sets now, but I was hoping to get the larger ones. I can find them both on amazon, but they are expensive. Will they replace them with newer versions, or are they gone forever?

I could wait for new sets if they were expected to come out with new ones. Any advice?

Is it possible the MF set will be discontinued without notice? I wouldn't want to miss out on it.
b4p

Postby thesilverspyder » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:07 pm

Well it was my birthday last night and I built the sith infiltrator 7663 and the x-wing 6212 and I'm building the new General Grievous 10186 tonight. Based on http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25 the only true UCS model I have left to do is the Millenium Falcon. I'm this close to buying it from Amazon for the $399 asking price, but I might hold out for a sale or coupon. I should have vids of these up in the next couple days.
thesilverspyder

Postby b4p » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm

if you find the falcon for $399 or less let me know. amazon has it for $499 right now :(
b4p

Postby thesilverspyder » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:32 pm

dang! I knew I should've bought that when I had the chance. cruel fate. >8(
thesilverspyder

Postby Super33 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:59 pm

When I saw the Falcon at Amazon for $399 just over a month ago I emailed them asking how long it would be before that sale expired. They said it expired a long time ago and nobody changed the website!
Super33

Postby DarthMC » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:41 pm

The Death Star may go lower. The outlet in Woodbridge VA had them for $150. They said they bought a lot of them and were trying to get rid of them. The store in Tysons Corner VA had them but at the $199 price. If you have an outlet nearby give them a call. If the outlets are discounting them Shop at Home may not be far behind.

DarthMC
DarthMC

Return to Star Wars