Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Chrome Stormtrooper Minifig just in time for Star Wars Weekends

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Chrome Stormtrooper Minifig just in time for Star Wars Weeke

Postby Solo » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:21 pm

LEGOscum wrote:That means the UK price is cheaper than the US one :O

Image
Solo

Postby Jcc2224 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:22 am

[quote=staff]Talk about out of left field: apparently LEGOLand California has already started putting these out for sale - because Eurobricks member PDQAg picked one up last Friday.

More pictures available in his Webshots album here. And my thanks to Dano for tipping me off about it, I need one to go with my other chrome minifigs!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2009/06/09/chrome-s ... -weekends/

When I went to my local LEGO Store some weeks back, I got one of these, inside his helmet it's all white, the legs aren't fully painted, and the torso (near arms) isn't painted, but it's still fun to have him show of in front of the other Stormtroopers :lol:
Jcc2224

Postby bigospedros » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:25 am

S@H UK now says 4th August (it did say 3rd August yesterday).

I asked in the Brighton store today and i got the impression they had them in the back but were not allowed to sell them yet. They suggested they'd be on sale in August when the rest of the summer line was made available (I assume this means Home One, Venator, mystery set and Pirate Tank as they were not available in store today).
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby jocktheglide » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:49 pm

thx for the heads up on this one seems ebay scalpers are trying to sell them for double the price and lego shop has them in stock for 10 bucks...bought me 10 of them for a war.
jocktheglide

Postby JetClone63 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:13 pm

Very nice! But I have to say it's probably only gonna sell to those TRUE fans out there. Not those New-to-Star-Wars(Clone Wars Movie fans) fans. I'm talking the Episode I, II, III, IV, V, and VI fans. But the chrome figs have been loosing their popularity. I don't know, hopefully LEGO can re-vive the chrome figs.
JetClone63

Postby Gooker1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:59 am

Confusion -

I've never bought a Lego Magnet figure before because I figured, why by a magnet when you already have the actual figure.

But since I couldn't get the Chrome ST at Legoland, I decided to bite the bullet and by a "magnet" at the Lego store.

I opened the sucker up and found out that the figure isn't even the magnet, but that it was actually the lego brick.

I never knew that the figure was never the magnet. Hahaha! So I take it that these figure magnets aren't really magnets? Just figures on a magnet?

:)
Gooker1

Postby Firespray » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:43 am

Yep the new "magnets" are just minifigs on a magnet brick. That's why people have been going nuts over them the past couple months, take the Clone Wars magnet for example: 3 figures that come in expensive sets can be bought for $15 if you buy the magnet set.
Firespray

Postby darthvladovich » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:14 pm

jzyg wrote:I am surprised that no one has realized that they will be doing a Chrome "Han in Carbonite". It will probably be chrome black with chrome silver inlay :-) It is only logical!

Hhhhhmmmmmm. Now that would be cool. I wonder if TLG could make a 3-D chrome Han in Carbonite with his arms protruding and his feet and head slightly raised. It could then have a handle attached to the top that could be pushed by a chrome bespin guard into a chrome Slave I that then flys away from a chrome Cloud City to a chrome Tatoine. Where a chrome boba fett sells it to a chrome jabba the hutt who then displays it in his chrome palace.

The possibilities are endless with LEGO chrome.
darthvladovich

Postby ricefields » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:30 pm

Gooker1 wrote:Confusion -

I've never bought a Lego Magnet figure before because I figured, why by a magnet when you already have the actual figure.

But since I couldn't get the Chrome ST at Legoland, I decided to bite the bullet and by a "magnet" at the Lego store.

I opened the sucker up and found out that the figure isn't even the magnet, but that it was actually the lego brick.

I never knew that the figure was never the magnet. Hahaha! So I take it that these figure magnets aren't really magnets? Just figures on a magnet?

:)

its only the new batch of magnet sets that have minifigs on magnets, the 1st generation were actually magnets inside the minifig so your philosophy about not buying them originally was valid for that batch. Just have to careful which ones you are buying particularly from secondary markets and resellers. eg leia, red imperial trooper amongst others were sold in both 1st and 2nd generation magnet packages.
ricefields

Postby Gooker1 » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:14 pm

Thanks for the responses everyone. I guess it makes sense with the rise in costs that they would ditch the magnet in the figure and just starting selling regular figures.

That's great that there is a way to build armies without spending an arm and a leg...granted that point is kinda moot now with battle packs and what not.
Gooker1

Postby Flynn » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:40 pm

Actually, the reason they stopped putting the magnets in the figs was because the magnets did come out occasoinally, and there were reports of kids swallowing them. Now, they have the magnets bolted shut in the brick.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby LL918 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:44 am

Further to the above comments about blue moons and hell freezing over.... I just noticed that the chrome stormtrooper is now listed on the Australian S@H as coming soon - end of August. (Perhaps it has been up a while, but I don't think anyone else has commented.) But the great shock is that the Australian price is better than the US! Seems the same applies for the other magnets also which makes a nice change to the normal sets. Someone must have made a mistake! Or is there some strange US magnetic tax that the rest of the world don't share?

I already bought one from Ace at the full original US$ price, no complaints though as the deal included some SWL promo Duplo bricks. (Thanks again Ace.)

As for the discussion regarding the change in magnet design, I liked the old style. They look better on the fridge.
LL918

Postby LEGOscum » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 am

Gooker1 wrote:Confusion -

Now I'm confused. The "Chrome ST" that was available at LEGOLand SW Day is exactly the same thing as the "magnet" you bought at the brand store. Did you think they were different?
LEGOscum

Previous

Return to Star Wars