Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New 7778 Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon info and pics

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: New 7778 Midi-Scale Millennium Falcon info and pics

Postby palisade » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:44 pm

Joedward wrote:It's bigger than mini and smaller than system. A small model with all the detail of a UCS. etc. etc. etc

Why do people have such a problem accepting this, or undertsanding what it is?

I have no problem accepting this. I certainly couldn't care less what it is called. I just wanted to know what 'midi' means. How am I supposed to know what it means? Other than the electronic music protocol, I have never heard nor seen this word in such a context.

Did Lego just make it up? Do they have an official definition somewhere? Is it a play on words with the word 'mid', ala 'mid-scale'? Are they just trying to be cute? Is it a misspelling? I'm just trying to understand what it is and where it came from. Has there been any official words to this effect from Lego?

It's easy to say "It's bigger than mini and smaller than system." -- I can see that. But was is it *really*?
palisade

Postby Master Fetty » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:38 pm

lostone wrote:Will it be u.s only or avaliable in uk, through shop at home since i cant afford the ucs falcon i would love this one, unless anyone cares to sell me a v cheap earlier verson lol :p.also any idea what the uk price would be?

It would be a serious fluke if it isn't available in the UK. As for price, I'm going to say somewhere between £29.99 and £39.99 - it doesn't have figs, but is Star Wars, so probably the latter. :(

Joedward wrote:Why do people have such a problem accepting this, or undertsanding what it is?

Probably because its odd and doesn't fit with anything.
Master Fetty

Postby HothTrooper » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:40 pm

palisade wrote:Did Lego just make it up? Do they have an official definition somewhere? Is it a play on words with the word 'mid', ala 'mid-scale'? Are they just trying to be cute? Is it a misspelling? I'm just trying to understand what it is and where it came from. Has there been any official words to this effect from Lego?

According to Dictionary.com, midi has three recognized definitions; Mid-length women's clothing, the South of France, and Musical Instrument Digital Interface. None of these apply to the LEGO scale, so the term was most likely derived from middle, as in between mini and system scale, and shortened to midi for simplicity in the same way the miniature scale was shortened to mini. The similar names also provides a degree of familiarity to the branding of the new scale as it fits into the established naming scheme.
HothTrooper

Postby GrayMattR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:06 pm

Hate to be a wet sock but I don't care for this. The model is way too small in size for 356 pieces. Look at the box art - it's barely bigger than my hand. Of course, the 356 pieces is mostly the greeblies but the scale is just too small to fit all the details they're trying to squeeze on. It needs to be wider and longer to show the mass of the ship.

Hate the "midi" name. While "midi" is a real word, it has no application to this. Might as well call it SUV size or EP size.

Don't get me wrong. I like the idea of a Falcon that's not big enough for figs. This just doesn't seem right.
GrayMattR

Postby MrCRskater » Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:39 pm

I was initially very excited for this release, but these new higher-quality photos have left me disappointed. Though they grebblied the heck out of this thing to make it "detailed", it's not very detailed at all as the top (and presumably the bottom) of the hull is flat, not rounded or angled as it should be. The most appalling feature is the cockpit assembly. Everything behind the cone-piece for the cockpit looks absolutely dreadful! Also, I can only say that those had all better be printed pieces!

Sadly, I missed the previous incarnations of the Falcon which is part of why I really wanted this one. Also, the prospect of a new "midi" line aimed at smaller display pieces is very appealing to me. Hopefully the designs will improve in their look as they release other models.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:36 pm

I was definitely considering getting this but after seeing the high-rez pics I see how small it really is. I will also pass.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby CoR3Bu » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:33 am

I think "Midi" might be shortish for medium, but its lacking the E :| .
I think the only reason I'm getting this is because I don't have a MF
in my collection yet :S . I also think this "Midi-scale" MF will fit
in new Home 1 playset hangar (lets hope ;) ).

Colonel Reaginal Bulstrode, to attention men! >:(
CoR3Bu

Postby dateman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:45 am

I've been building 'midi' scale for a while (even used the term before Lego did here) and find them a good scale but I suspect the Falcon is a little small. I work on about 1/2 minifig scale and the ships I have done then fit in with existing sets like the 4504 Falcon and the 4483 AT-AT.

This is a good size for Lego as my kids and their friends end up playing with these more than the minifig sets which can be too big to run around with. Remember they will also be cheaper and should be good if they release others in this scale. Of course mine are available if Lego wants some help ;-)

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=375754
dateman

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:05 am

I've unconvered the conspiracy theory: "midi" stands for "midi-chlorians"! Darn you Uncle George!!
Jedd the Jedi

Postby Joedward » Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:36 am

palisade wrote:I have no problem accepting this. I certainly couldn't care less what it is called. I just wanted to know what 'midi' means. How am I supposed to know what it means?

Sorry, that wasn't meant directly at you, it's just so many people here, and especially on flickr seem to have a problem with this set. Probably for the reason Master Fetty gave, it doesn't fit with anything.
I dunno
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby GrayMattR » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:15 pm

Jedd the Jedi wrote:I've unconvered the conspiracy theory: "midi" stands for "midi-chlorians"! Darn you Uncle George!!

George Lucas illegitimized my childhood fantasies. :S
GrayMattR

Postby You » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:01 pm

I actually really like this set (but, heh, THOSE PIECES BETTER BE PRINTED >8( ) It just wasn't really what I was expecting. I kinda wanted a tenth anniversary set that was like 7190, and 4504.

Otherwise Im really happy with this set. (And everyone please stop making a big deal out of the CW box design. :p )

CoR3Bu wrote:I hate going to Walmart >8( !

Me too! >8(
You

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:24 pm

Meh.

The design looks OK and I'm sure it will fit on my desktop shelving, but I'd rather use my $$ for a minifig-based set.

Instead of this route, I'd like Lego to return to making a few MINI sets each year like they did from 2002-2004 or so.
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby donneyboy » Thu Apr 23, 2009 2:45 pm

I like it, I will buy it, and use it in my mini display. or use it as a desktop model. And i hope lego releases a few more sets on this scale, like Y-Wing, X-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, Tie Fighter, Tie Bomber, Tie Interceptor, and Imperial Star Destroyer.
Alexandra , sleeping sand, silent cloud, touch me
So I sing a song of love, Alexandra
Hum hum hum...calls me
So I sing a song of love for Alexandra, Alexandra, Alexandra
donneyboy

Postby logang1 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:45 pm

You wrote:I actually really like this set (but, heh, THOSE PIECES BETTER BE PRINTED >8( ) It just wasn't really what I was expecting. I kinda wanted a tenth anniversary set that was like 7190, and 4504.

Otherwise Im really happy with this set. (And everyone please stop making a big deal out of the CW box design. :p )

CoR3Bu wrote:I hate going to Walmart >8( !

Me too! >8(

I agree....those pieces had better be printed....
logang1

Postby cloner95 » Fri May 01, 2009 4:26 pm

this is so bad i was expecting and episode 6 full size falcon in the battle over endor
cloner95

Postby lordvader208 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:37 pm

yankeeken wrote:I don't know, I thought I remembered reading somewhere that it was going to be $29.99. Of course I guess with 356 pieces and recent pricing trends, $39.99 sounds more likely.

Anyway, I'm glad to finally see some better pictures and I think that it looks great. I'll probably get it, as long as it doesn't cost more than $40.

I agree about the $29.99 price, but I could be wrong. My reasoning is that since previous Walmart star wars exclusives have been at the $30 price, this one probably will too. Think of the Sith Infiltrator and Droid Gunship. Both cost $30. If this set really turns out to cost $29.99, I'm sure some public opinion will change because the midi-scale falcon is a pretty nice buy for that price. $40 isn't bad either.

Same goes with the target exclusives, this year's being the pirate tank. That, in my opinion, will probably be $50 like previous ones.
lordvader208

Postby onions » Fri May 01, 2009 6:40 pm

you're forgetting about ahsoka's fighter set ringing in at $40.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby lordvader208 » Fri May 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Oh :shock: I didn't know Ahsoka's fighter was a walmart exclusive. Maybe it is. Let me go check.

Yes, you're right! I wasn't aware it was a Walmart exclusive but it is. Still a pretty good buy for $40 though.
lordvader208

Postby jocktheglide » Mon May 04, 2009 1:36 am

lordvader208 wrote:Oh :shock: I didn't know Ahsoka's fighter was a walmart exclusive. Maybe it is. Let me go check.

Yes, you're right! I wasn't aware it was a Walmart exclusive but it is. Still a pretty good buy for $40 though.

is it? I dont think so I saw it at target....
jocktheglide

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars