Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What Got You Started On Star Wars Lego?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: What Got You Started On Star Wars Lego?

Postby I Don't Know » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:32 am

I am sad to say I've only been a fan over the past year of so :(

I never really had any friends because I always spent my spare time on the internet, but in second grade , a SW fanatic came ,and I didn't become friends with because he seemed creepy .

Skip to third grade , and at the school talent show , he was tap dancing and the boys at my school in my class made fun of him . I for one liked the tap dancing and thats when we became friends and became rather outlaws to the boys in my class, but nice, funny, boys to the girls.

At the start of fifth grade, I began to take a liking to Star Wars , and by Christmas I got my first Lego Star Wars
set ,rebel scout speeder.
Someone once asked me"Why is Star Wars awesome?" I replied" I Don't Know, it just is."
I Don't Know

Postby The Guy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:50 am

Mine started out bout April 2009. I had gone over to my friend's house (LEGO Lucasfilm fanatic(Indiana Jones, Star Wars)) and he suggested we go play LEGO. I got hooked. I got my first set in a while (I had gotten the Imperial dropship bout '07, '08 but I hadn't got hooked) the AT-TE. My brother had been hooked, and when we were little-er we loved LEGO, so we have this HUGE tub of 'em. We're bothed hooked (he before me) and then I blundered upon this! Right now, I have the AAT, AT-TE, but I gave my littlest brother my Dropship.
The Guy

Postby Coret » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:33 am

Actually for me the question is, what took LEGO so long to acquire the Star Wars License.

Having been born in 1980, I started out watching the OT. I even saw ROTJ in the theatres when I was 3. I have been into Star Wars since I was 3, not an exaggeration. I have seen each of the OT at least a 1000 times each, I used to watch one movie a day, sometimes doing the whole trilogy on a Saturday. I have read almost every single book, played the RPG (You know, West End Game's version where you have to do everything yourself.)

I built X-Wings, the Millennium Falcon, Star Destroyers, everything. We had to use our imagination back then, we didn't have all the kewl pieces that Star Wars has brought out to LEGO. Took LEGO alot longer to catch upto us, both myself and my cousin said LEGO should make them years before they ever did.

So as I said, it is less how did I get hooked to LEGO Star Wars, as much as how excited I was when they finally got the license for it.
Coret

Postby LEGOscum » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:26 am

This is a good thread topic. I'm glad this got revived.

What got me into LSW.... I suppose it was the mass hysteria of Episode 1 really! I've been playing with LEGO since '77 but it was the addition of the SW license that changed me from someone who just messed about with it to a collector.

I guess there's one thing to thanks Episode 1 for :)
LEGOscum

Postby dman7529 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 am

Wow, this is like my first post! Its been great to read the responses, especially from us older collectors :)

Anyway, I have been a SW fan since ESB in '80 when I was 5. For the next two or three years, I would get the Kenner figures and ships when I could. Then GI Joe took over for a year, and then Transformers. During this time I would get a Lego space set for my birthday and Christmas, and I enjoyed building all sorts of spaceships. Then junior high came along, and I entered my dark age.

As a sophomore in high school, I took an electronics class, and the teacher brought in some Technic sets and asked us to build different things using the motors and pieces. I thought the Technic idea was cool, especially for the "older" kids, but never bought any sets, because playing with toys was uncool :roll: So the dark age continued.

As I grew older, I would occasionally go down the action figure aisles at TRU and Kay-Bee, to see if there were new SW figures out. I would not go down the Lego aisle, and between '99 and December '06, I would regret this.

In December '06, I was in TRU looking for presents for my oldest niece, and just happened to go by the LEGO aisle, which was near the baby and childrens cloths in the old store setup. There, on the end of the aisle, was UCS Vader's TIE Advanced. I stood there for a few minutes, looking at the piece count, the features, and trying to convince myself why I should buy it. I strolled down the aisle, and carefully looked over all the other LSW sets. I was amazed at the details that were possible with the new Lego pieces. I ended up buying the B-wing Fighter that day, and Vader's TIE Advanced during an after Christmas sale 2 weeks later. I ended up buying a set a month, starting in April with the Imperial Star Destroyer, until last year, when I started buying 2 or more sets every two weeks.
dman7529

Postby RocketClone » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:34 pm

I was subscribed to the Official LEGO magizene (now Club magizene) i saw pictures of the sets i thought WOW, so i went by my local target and i picked up a speeder bike set...hooked ever since. XD
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:35 pm

What got me started on Star Wars LEGO? That's easy. They started selling it. That's pretty much all it took. :D
Mister Ed

Postby Chewie » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:14 pm

I've been into LEGO and LEGO SW for 6 years. XD
Laugh it up fuzzball!
Chewie

Postby kimmi » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:41 pm

Well... The first time I ever even watched Star Wars was January of this year. My boyfriend, a Star Wars fan from childhood, introduced me to it. We watched episodes IV, V, VI and then I, II, III. Immediately, I was hooked and soon became obsessed with all things Star Wars!

While looking around at Target for Valentine's Day gifts, I came upon the LEGO aisle, and saw the SW logo and decided to check it out. I bought a Rebel Scout Speeder and an Imperial Dropship, not knowing whether or not my boyfriend would like LEGO, being a 20 year old ;) .

After we built them, it became something of an addiction. Unfortunately, we discovered LEGO Star Wars a bit late, so we missed out on a lot of amazing sets, but we're working with what we've got (we most recently built the Sandcrawler :D ). In the 7 months since then, we've bought about 30 sets (including all the original Indy sets and a few from KOTCS), and plan on getting all that may come in the future!
kimmi

Postby irmasturcheeflol » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:26 am

for me it was :roll: Jar-Jar I loved him when I was 5! he came in the AMAZING ;) naboo swamp set in
1999-2000 that I had 2 of.
Series 1: Cowboy, Indian, Clown, Diver, Spaceman, Zombie, Robot, Forestman, Skater.
irmasturcheeflol

Postby CoR3Bu » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:03 am

My brothers introduced it to me. My first 2 sets were the Flash Speeder
and Luke's Landspeeder.

-The Colonel
CoR3Bu

Postby dWhisper » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:24 am

I got into it for the chicks
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Flesh Skywalker » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:26 am

dWhisper wrote:I got into it for the chicks

I thought Padme has only been in one set.

After reviewing this thread, I can't find my post (must have been another origins thread I'm thinking of).

I've always been a Star Wars fan, I didn't know the names of each actor that played the Imperial officers like my brother, but somehow I always beat him at SW Trivial Pursuit. My Lego fandom began in the early '80s, peaked wit pirates and dwindled to nonexistent in High School in 1990.
I got a job at KB toys before Christmas in 1998. I only got the job because two of my friends got jobs there too, and we pretty much set our own hours, we unloaded the truck, unboxed the merchandise, put price stickers on them and put them back in the box to be shelved later. We got a shipment before Episode I that contained Star Wars Lego. I went through all of them and selected the four of each with the best boxes. I opened one each and my two brothers got one each (I still have the original four in my basement). My brothers being bigger Star Wars fans than me (six and nine years younger) decided we should build the sets while listening to the star wars soundtrack. I limited myself to collecting OT sets at first, and so I did not get Padme, or the first run Darth Maul. I picked up the Jedi in the PT sets, but after AOTC I decided to collect Sith, aliens, and important characters too. My collection stands at 105 distinct sets including 4 magnet sets and a keychain, I will buy three or four new ones yet this year. I have 61 sets that are duplicate including 11 of the original army builder Final Duel II. Total Pieces: 61,511
Flesh Skywalker

Previous

Return to Star Wars