Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

What Got You Started On Star Wars Lego?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: What Got You Started On Star Wars Lego?

Postby Masta' Bo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 pm

badger: "the Phantom Menace" is the best SW title in the series, imo. ;)

Anywho, when I was young, I wasn't into SW, but liked Legos moderately. I had sets such as the late 90s/early 2000s space shuttle sets, which I broke and rebuilt by memory many times, and had some old castle wagon set. So, one day, for Christmas, I recieved a Landspeeder/Slave I duel pack. I built them, broke them, but suprisingly kept all of the pieces (except Ol' Ben's lightsaber) and instructions mint (I rebuilt them later on). Fastforward to 2002. On my birthday, I was über-excited about getting some Harry Potter sets, and while I did get them, I also got a original Jedi Starfighter from my aunt. I liked the colors, but didn't like the theme, so I built it but didn't pay much mind to it. A month later (Christmas), I got the original TIE from the same aunt, built it, but didn't pay mind to it. I can't exactly say what got me into LSW, but in 2003, I was reading a catalog of my local and overpriced hobby shop. I kinda liked SW sets, now that HP 2 sets were done with. So, I lay my eyes upon all the 2003 sets, including the AT-AT. Wow. I've loved LSW ever since.

Note: My mom did not give me that set until I was 13 (she insisted that it was a 14+ build).
Seriously, seeing that set in the store was an awesome sensation. It was sooooo cooool. XD
Because I'm a bothan...or a brick. Bo out.
Brickshelf
"No, Lois, LEGO is not the same as MegaBloks, and as soon as you figure that out, the sooner we can get this marriage back on track."
Masta' Bo

Postby RogueJedi007 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:27 pm

I had gotten back into Lego in 1996 with a few sets and had the advertisements in 1999 for the upcoming Star Wars sets. I was a big SW fan and naturally ended up grabbing the first set I found at Christmas that year which was the original Slave I. It has been downhill since then!
=========================================================================
We are keepers of the peace, not soldiers.
=========================================================================
RogueJedi007

Postby ScruffyNerfHerder » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:59 am

First post here, hey everyone!

When I was younger (only about 5 or 6 years ago) I had a large collection of legos, star wars included. However, after I moved (2 1/2 years ago), my family and I ended up giving away all of my legos. At that point in time, I was not a huge star wars fan. About two years ago, however, I really got into star wars. Since then, I've been interested in every facet of the star wars lore, including the EU stuff (books, games, etc.) I collected star wars miniatures for a while, but I grew kind of bored of this because it lacked the creativity which I thrive on. So, naturally, I turned back to legos about a month ago. Since then, I have bought and built Darth Vader's Tie Fighter Advanced, The Rogue Shadow, three Stormtrooper dropships, and a Rebel speeder. I am still kicking myself for giving away all those legos, but I am having fun starting a new collection.

thats my story!

P.S. I hope that lego publishes some more original trilogy sets. I'm an OT guy at heart, so seeing so much clone wars stuff is getting me a little nervous. I enjoyed the prequels, but I don't even think they are comparable to the original three. I saw the falcon and home 1 sets, they look great!
ScruffyNerfHerder

Postby LFN » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:12 am

I was into Lego starting around when I was six or so, mostly revolving around the pirates line. After watching the 1997 special editions in theatres, I got hooked onto SW too. A few years later I remember getting the march/april 99 magazine in the mail, and I was absolutely stoked for this crossover.
I believe i got my first two sets on my birthday, less than a month after they started popping up in stores. Speeder Bikes and Landspeeder. I ended up getting the rest of the initial OT wave sooner or later, with the exception of the Xwing (i got the TIE/Ywing set for Christmas instead).
To be honest, i havent really purchased much SW lego the past couple of years, as Gundam kits (the japanese ones, not the clearance-able american slop) have been eating into my money. I think the only 2008 star wars set i got was the rebel battle pack? This year though, many sets do appeal. Ive ordered 4 clone bp's off lego.com, and I eagerly anticipate the "Echo Base" set with the Tauntaun (ESB was my favorite movie :D )
Akuma No Z
LFN

Postby Jacolus » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:46 am

I've always liked Legos, at least as far back as I can remember. Same goes for Star Wars. There were plenty of times when I wouldn't do anything at all with Legos, spending time on other toys or games, but I always found myself coming back to them, even when everything else had come to pass. As for Star Wars, I had a decent liking for it. I watched the movies once in a while, sometimes by myself, other times with family. I remember watching some of the Star Wars movies with my brother's kids (my brother is quite a few years older than me). I also remember building and playing Legos with them. Sometimes I would worry about them destroying my creations, not too often, but I had a lot of fun with them. Around 1999/2000 I bought a few Star Wars Lego sets: Anakin's podracer, the Sith Infiltrator, and the Naboo starfighter. I thought they were cool, built and played with them, took them apart, maybe even combined them to make new creations. Eventually though, I took them apart and they were lost in the rest of my Lego collection. Then not long after, I felt awkward playing with Legos and thought I was too old to be doing this anymore. So I stopped building and playing with Legos altogether.

Well, this only lasted a few years.

In January of 2004, I saw some nice looking Lego train sets (trains are another thing I am into, although not as much as I used to be). I decided to buy one, the white and green high speed train set. We still had the Christmas tree up, so I built the track around it and put the train on it (I also did that the next year). Then I noticed some of the Star Wars Lego sets that were currently out at the time and grabbed some of them. Looking back now, I would have to say that it really wasn't until this time that I truly got into Legos and Star Wars. During this time I found out that my sister's youngest son (my sister is also older than me) was into Star Wars (only a little bit into Legos though). He collects all the action figures and other toys, as many as he can afford. He's probably seen the movies hundreds of times by now. I thought I was extremely into Star Wars, but seeing how my nephew acts, he can't seem to stop talking about Star Wars, at least when I'm around him anyway. We even have lightsaber duels once in a while; I bought some of those lightsaber toys sometime after the Phantom Menace came out but before Attack of the Clones. And later I found out he had some so I bought a couple newer ones. It was also during this time I started getting into the different Star Wars books and a few comics.

Now back to Legos. So, I started building myself a Lego city, with the train track circling around it. As time went on, I bought more Star Wars sets, my city grew bigger, and it started changing into a Star Wars Lego city. It's not too big, but It barely even looks like what it did back in 2004. I've been recently buying some of the Clone Wars sets. Just yesterday I got the Ahsoka's Starfighter and vulture droid set. I don't think I'll ever give up my Star Wars Lego collection, at least not anytime soon, but who knows?

Well, that’s all I will say about that for now. I wasn't expecting to take this long...but I had fun! So, I'll leave it at that.
Jacolus

Postby buhs » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:39 pm

OK, some of my earliest memories were of making Star Wars vehicles out of Space LEGO and putting my Kenner Star Wars action figures in them (circa 1978)... as a young child I could not afford (or convince) my parents to buy me all of the Star Wars toys, so I used my LEGO blocks and imagination to build pretty much any star ship I wanted. I had always thought "wouldn't it be neat if they made Star Wars LEGO?" Fast forward to 1999... I had just finished my post-graduate work, and had just started my first "real" professional job. And then I saw it.... the original Star Wars LEGO X-wing fighter... oh yes... it would be mine! :P Fast forward 10 years and I now have a "LEGO Star Wars room" (I have a very supportive and understanding wife... she says of all the vices a guy could have, this is probably the least self destructive... although not the cheapest!)... I have four book shelves of pretty much every classic Star Wars LEGO set made (and plenty duplicates of the storm trooper and rebel trooper packs), and a few of the new trilogy and expanded universe models... but it's all about the classics! I now have a 1 month old daughter, and look forward to one day introducing her to my love of Star Wars and LEGO... well, that's my story!
buhs

Postby kelano28 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:07 pm

Well I must start by saying hello all as I am new here...

As for Lego, I have been a fan for as long as I can remember. I believe I started building Space and Castle sets at the age of 3 or 4 in the early 90's. I also loved the Aquazone theme and the Model Team Giant Truck set I had. I never got into Star Wars sets because they weren't out and I wasn't familiar with the story. Around 10 I hit my dark ages and forgot about Lego until last summer when I was bed-ridden with a slipped disc from hockey. One day when *slowly* walking around the mall I decided to finally go into the Lego store and I glanced around in amazement. The one ship that caught my eye was the Rogue Shadow, and I decided since I couldn't do anything too physical for the summer I needed a project or two. I purchased the Rogue Shadow and had one of the best experiences of my life. It was so simple yet ingenious. I felt like I had gone back in time but I still loved the building process and searching around piles of bricks for the right one. After that day I have been a Lego Star Wars collector and the sets have honestly got me into Star Wars for the first time.

Thanks for reading this as the story is slightly personal to me but it helped define who I am today.
kelano28

Postby b4p » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:10 pm

hi, I'm new.

I got 100% on lego starwars the complete saga on PS3, and then found a lego.com sale posted on slickdeals.net. A few hundred dollars later here I am.
b4p

Postby Chosen One » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:16 am

Well my friend is a huge lego collector, mainly SW. which also had my attention. Though wasn't until I got an exo-force as birthday present from my brother that I ventured into lego since my childhood. And being a SW of the original movies, I started buying a few SW sets along with the Batmans. Though I mainly use them for my MOC's, and also cause I prefer the flesh heads.
Chosen One

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:32 am

Where to begin...

Lego: Began building Lego aged about 2 years -- long, LONG before the introduction of minfigures and fancy parts!

Star Wars: Saw "Episode IV" (or just plain "Sar Wars" as it was known at the time...!) at the cinema in 1977 and loved it. (Obviously, I remain more of an original trilogy fan.) :cool:

I collected a fair few of the original Kenner (Palitoy if you were in the UK!) figures over the next few years before eventually growing up and moving on but remained a big fan of Lego (and of Star Wars).

Not surprisingly, I was therefore more than a little excited about the prospect of a Star Wars license for Lego. Those who know me would nod sagely and say "Yes, of course..." if I said that I started by buying the 7410 X-wing and 7150 Vader's TIE / Y-Wing and that they were the first sets out of the packing cases, before they even hit the shelves in my local TRU. That's exactly what did happen and it just kinda got worse from there, really... :lol:

Fortunately I have a very tolerant wife who just laughs and says I have dreadful geeky/nerdy tendancies but she loves me anyway (!). XD Secretly, I think she kinda likes Lego but she'll never admit it in public ...and my son is too young and still more interested in Duplo Dino Valley at the moment -- so my SW Lego will remain unmolested for a few years yet...! ;)

I'm just a bit of a big kid! :D
Blue Squadron

Postby Ty55 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:34 am

Back in '99 when they first started the Star Wars theme. I had always been a big fan of Star Wars as a kid. Episode 1 had me super psyched. Then Lego said "well here are some sweet sets with Star Wars figs" And as the years have progressed I'm now an Adult addicted to toys that I can barely afford. But they're still extremely fun!
Ty55

Postby meeotch » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:09 am

Okay, let's try this again... (I typed up a huge response for my first post here a few days ago, then accidentally deleted it! [/facepalm])

Anyways... I was into Legos (mostly Space, but also Technic and Model Team) when I was a kid, up through the beginning of my teenage years. After getting "too old" for Legos, I had them all stored away. However, my dad was storing them at his house for me.

Xmas of 04 (05?) I mentioned something in passing to my girlfriend, and she bought me the Millennium Falcon (4504). I built it right there in the middle of the floor of my dad's house, put it up for display on top of my TV, and kind of forgot about it.

August or so of 08, I'm working at Target and I see the MTT has gone on clearance, from $120 to $70, and I thought, "I'll get that at the end of my shift." At this time, I was really starting to get into the whole Star Wars universe. I saw all the OT movies as a kid but really felt they were dated at the time. However, after getting older, I realized what a rich world there was in the GFFA and just how much a modern sci-fi fan owes to the Star wars universe.

Anyways, end of that shift, I go to get that MTT and both of them had sold. I mentioned it to my girlfriend, not as a big deal, just as an "I was gonna' do this" kind of thing. That weekend, she went to a different Target, and they still had them, so she got it for me.

I started getting big-time into SWLego. I was buying a set every few weeks or so. Then, one evening, we're having dinner over at my dad's and I tell him that I thought it was time for me to get my old Legos back from him...

HE SOLD THEM A MONTH PRIOR IN A GARAGE SALE!!!

I kind of snapped then and started picking up Legos by the fistful. Since that August, I've probably gotten about 3 or 4 thousand bucks worth of Legos (including UCS Death Star II, Star Destroyer, Millennium Falcon, AT-ST, TIE Advanced, Motorized AT-AT, a ton of SW System sets, and a few Bionicle, Creator, and Power Miners) with no end in sight.

Then, I found this site in December through the blog Geekologie, the day after registrations were suspended. I've lurked here for a little bit and decided that now is the time to join the conversations.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Blue Alert » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 pm

7163. Republic Gunship. After having bucketloads of Lego as a kid, I'd drifted away - as an adult's supposed to do, right? ;)

Once I had my financial independence, I saw 7163 in a branch of Toys R Us and just couldn't resist it. Thus obsession was reborn. Since then I've spent far, far too much money on my collection.
Blue Alert

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:35 pm

I was in love with Lego in the 90's so Star Wars themed Legos really caught on with me and I ended up getting loads of them. I've given up by now...I don't really buy new Legos anymore. Classics are where it's at.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby harvey_manbird » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:21 pm

My first Star Wars set as a kid (at least the first one I can remember) was the Landspeeder. I only had a handful of LEGO sets as a kid and that was only one that was Star Wars. I got back into LEGO around the time Ep 3 was released and I think the set that started this all for me was Anakin's Episode 3 Jedi Starfighter...I've been hooked ever since.
DECK OFFICER: Your Tauntaun'll freeze before you reach the first marker.
HAN: Then I'll see you in hell!
harvey_manbird

Postby drfeelgood » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:31 pm

Pretty much been into anything which involves me makeing things, airfix kits,warhammer, however these got me fustrated and wound up. More so with the airfix kits, anyone who has ever made one will know parts never glue flush, it takes hours for the paint to dry, they get covered in dust and its game over! Bought a 1999 x-wing because it looked cool on the top shelf of the toy store, was easy to build, looked great and could be stripped down and rebuilt into other stuff unlike bloody airfix models. Then i went crazy in 2002 and bought an a-wing,b-wing, y-wing and vader tie, tie fighter, snowspeeder. Some of this stuff was out of production and so cost me a bomb, then i started working in a toy shop..big mistake! then i stopped from 05 to 08, now im buying it again, however, im in a predictament of buying lego or buying new stuff for my car :lol:
drfeelgood

Postby Flynn » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 pm

From years 2-4, I was building with Duplo, and then at five, I got my first LEGO set, a Freestyle set that to this day I can't find on Peeron, Bricklink, Brickset, or any other database. :S My first system set was the Adventurers set Oasis Ambush.

Since I got into LEGO around 1998, Star Wars was just around the corner. I had been obsessive about SW from four years old, and every couple of weeks after the SW sets came out, I would pick up a small little set like the Speeder Bikes, the Landspeeder, and Jedi Duel. Sometime later, I had gotten the Snowspeeder. Shortly after, I had developed pnemonia, and was soon taken to a hospital, with only my snowspeeder to accompany me. To this day, that set remains my all-time favorite LEGO set.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby MrCRskater » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:27 pm

This is a great topic, and it's been fun to read everyone's personal stories related to LEGO!

I was a Lego junkie from a young age and grew up with the original Pirates, Castle, Blacktron, M-tron, Space Police, etc. I still had a firm affection for the brick into my teen years, though I was not buying Lego sets all that often at that time. Star Wars became a big thing for me around middle school, and at that time CCG's were all the rage in my circles, so my big thing initially was collecting the original Decipher Star Wars CCG (I still have a respectable collection and break out some old decks from time to time. . .).

When LEGO Star Wars hit the shelves, I was pretty stoked. But my funds were still aimed at the CCG, so I only picked up a set here and there. I fell off the map for a couple years (doing some intensive athletic training and competition), but began delving into the LEGO's in 2003 (Decipher's Star Wars CCG was discontinued in 2001) and haven't looked back! Sadly, I don't remember my first SW lego set, but I do have a few oldies.

My family still thinks it's weird that I haven't outgrown LEGO's yet (and that I never will), but they have given me LEGO sets a few times in the past couple years. My girlfriend is pretty tolerant, too, and let's me show her LEGO stuff all the time.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby chawan_cut » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:17 pm

the UCS sets did it for me. i had initially bought the ewok attack a few years back just because i thought it was cool. and then i was out of it for a little while. when i searched for what came out since i last looked i was amazed at what i had missed. then came the decision whether or not to cough up the money to collect all of those sets i missed out on. kinda pricey but well worth it. when i get them set up all nice on shelves, i'll take pictures.

is there a thread where we can display images of our collection?
chawan_cut

Postby Darthboba281 » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:43 pm

I started liking Star Wars in 2005. It was my birthday and I got three Revenge of the Sith lego sets from my cousin. They were pretty cool. When movie came out, I decided to see it (considering how cool those set were). It was the best movie I have ever seen (at the time). That is how I got hooked on to Star Wars :D.
Darthboba281

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars