Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Solar Sailer Price - What Gives?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Solar Sailer Price - What Gives?

Postby onions » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:28 pm

One other thing to consider is that the republic tank set was a 2008 set, and solar sailor is for 2009. so the increase in cost of manufacturing wasn't affecting the 2008 assortment, or it was and we the consumer just didn't see it. look at the tractor set, 13 bucks for <80 pcs. it's a reality my friends that prices are going up across the board, and it's not just the toy industry.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby speaknspell » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Personally, I would prefer it if you would be straight with us. Tell us that it's because it's a Toys 'R' Us exclusive (like you pointed out very lightly), hence why it needs to generate a higher profit margin. Or because the set features exclusive and rare minifigs (hence why LEGO has set a higher price point for it), or that certain pieces included in the set cost more to produce. Heck, I'm a grown-up mature man, and I can accept LEGO wants to make money.

My point is that you cannot blame the economy for the price point of one particular set. You can do that when talking about the global increase in US prices for LEGO sets, but not for one particular model with one particularly high price point.

hey bro I get to theorize too, just because I have more insight on things doesn't mean I'm not just venturing an opinion. I kind of take offense to the 'not being straight with us' part of that simply based on the fact that I'm telling you as much as I know. Just because it seems to not be the answer you were expecting you think I'm trying to BS you. I'm having a discussion with you guys and giving you more insights into what I know, doesn't mean its the written in stone answer just a bit more information for you to work with :)

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:08 pm

Steve, you're totally just making stuff up to boost your street cred over at LEGO. :cool:
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby darth jason » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:10 pm

Well at least they adjusted the price on Starwarsshop.com from 95 bucks to 54. Its still a pricey set but I had to buy it for count dooku and the magnagaurds. I really like it after all is said and done which is great because i felt like such a tool at first. the ship is much nicer looking and bigger than i thought. it was a pretty fun build not terribly repetative and despite being real weak up front the speeder bike looks good.

One gripe i had besides the price was the fact that it just looked unfinished to me i orderd extra brown,flat plates from pick a brick to cover the exposed studs on the side and top and it really added to the angular effect of the ship. I put some venting on the sides and bottom as well. I also think that it strange that the dark grey "wedge looking pieces' on the sides of the ship arent brown as well. i suppose they wanted to break up the color pattern a bit. I'll have to take a picture of it and post it. I just felt that for $60 bucks after tax it should have a more "finished" look.

I bought this on toys r us shop at home because i got a $10 nicked of the bottom line price for using bill me later. Of course they didnt apply the $10 credit to my bill so i had to chase 'em down with a sock and a que ball to get my dime back but thats the internet for you. All in all i like this set despite the totally crazy outrageous price. this should be a $40 set. I call Shennanigans!!! >8(

Oh! I forgot another point. I think its a nice compliment to the sith infiltrator(redux, of course) the way they both have the speeder bikes w/their rider's stowed away in the ships. They're of a similar size(despite the Minifigures) and they have a similar theme, Sithlord star ships. That was a fun build too and if you think about it that set was $30 bucks and only had one figure.

I think the Solar sailor was really geared towards collectors. As much as i like this i would say the fighter tank is a much better deal....If you can still find it. I guess like everything it just depends on your preference.
darth jason

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:32 am

speaknspell wrote:hey bro I get to theorize too, just because I have more insight on things doesn't mean I'm not just venturing an opinion. I kind of take offense to the 'not being straight with us' part of that simply based on the fact that I'm telling you as much as I know. Just because it seems to not be the answer you were expecting you think I'm trying to BS you.

Sorry Steve, I really didn't mean to offend you.

You gotta admit that, for us, it's hard to tell if you're offering your personal opinion on this issue or the "official answer" from LEGO, hence why it might seem that you're not giving us a straight answer. That doesn't mean you're not entitled to your own personal opinion, or that you're supposed to have all the official answers either.

I know you guys (you and your boss) have to work hard to change some bad habits over at LEGO, and that's it not an easy task, especially with guys like me pressuring you for more changes.

In short, I'm sorry if I offended you.
Daz Hoo

Postby lordvader208 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:30 pm

One thing also to note is the excessive (well kinda) use of stickers in this set. The large slopes should be printed in my opinion because it will be hard to apply the stickers exactly where they are supposed to be. For example on Ahsoka's starfighter, the large slopes are printed, but these are not. I really believe we should get some compensation with either a bigger ship, more details, more pieces, or more minifigs (only 3 minifigs! 2 that you can get from another, bigger set, and 1 that you can get from magnet set; I'm not counting that droid as a minifig because most people can make that easily)
lordvader208

Postby kelano28 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:46 pm

I'd like to start by saying this is a very fun build. The use of SNOT is quite apparent throughout and the ship comes together very nicely. I love the Dooku fig and if you're like me and opted out of the Magnaguard Starfighter you can finally get Magnaguard figs! :)

Anywho, the price is steep, but this is becoming a trend more than a few isolated incidents.

Republic Dropship with AT-OT Walker - 14.22 cents/piece
Ashoka's Starfighter & Droids - 13.75 cents/piece
Echo Base - 16.13 cents/piece

Count Dooku's Solar Sailer - 14.04 cents/piece

It seems we are headed for darker, more expensive times :S
kelano28

Postby Ty55 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:43 am

The big reason that Lego Star Wars sets are so highly priced is because of the License. Don't quote me on it, but I heard a rumor that when they renewed the license with Lucas the royalty that they receive from Lego shot up, so Lego had to make it up in set prices. Although Oil is a factor as well, it's not as big of a factor as skywalker ranch .. :S
Ty55

Postby jzyg » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:29 pm

A few quick observations:
Oil is at a very low price per gallon
The types of pieces in this set are not your standard .10 cent pieces.
There are many SNoT pieces, which as you might recall, are more expensive.
A chrome lightsaber handle (up to x400 the cost of a regular piece as per another thread http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=137)
New molds like for Dooku's hair (but are used elsewhere as well), new printing for dooku (that requires a new process in the LEGO factory) and of course, can't forget the oversized box!! jk.

I agree it is one of the worse price/part ratio sets that I have bought ever.
I just picked mine up from TRU on sale this week so it was slightly more bearable.
jzyg

Postby lordvader208 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:19 pm

True jzyg, $48 isn't too bad. Still higher than most would like but a lot better than $60. About 400 pieces for $48.

And one thing to note about oil prices: I believe Steve said somewhere earlier in this thread that the prices for this year's sets were determined last year, and last year was when we had that crazy oil price spike. Just hope that next year isn't so bad. :)

But hey, as long as you are satisfied with the set and what it offers, it's pretty much worth it.
lordvader208

Postby b4p » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:15 pm

i just picked this up along with the smaller vader tie (it was also on sale) and a few $12 sets for the toopers/soldiers.

I don't think lego is having any financial trouble:

Mark Hansen, director of business development for the LEGO Group wrote:Within the company we have made a strategic decision within LEGO to make a delay of LEGO Universe. It will not be coming out in 2009, The reason is, we have a luxury right now, the business is going good. We have products launching that are not digital, the physical products, with them going so well we don't want to take focus away from them.

source and more on this story:
http://kotaku.com/5155014/lego-universe ... -this-year
b4p

Postby Teekay » Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:00 pm

I ordered this set along with Vader's TIE online at TRU.com. I went for it because of the sale and LE status.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Previous

Return to Star Wars