Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

May 3rd/4th Lego Shop Exclusive Anniversary Offer

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: May 3rd/4th Lego Shop Exclusive Anniversary Offer

Postby Jargon » Wed May 06, 2009 9:23 am

I'm usually a pretty easy going, RTB, comply-with-The-LEGO-Group's-wishes kinda guy. But this promotion and, more specifically, their execution of it irks me.

I am disappointed that they are pulling down web scans of the poster when they didn't even have enough supplies to cover the entire two-day period. And sure, I am whining somewhat because I when I went to check out I was told none were left, but I think the point still stands.

It becomes even more of an issue when you consider the restricting of this promotion to North America.

Now don't get me wrong. I don't have any problem with the locality and the running out of supplies. I do, however, have a problem with the fact that they won't allow fans to post scanned copies online.
    - Aaron
Jargon

Postby Gumby » Wed May 06, 2009 10:11 am

Jargon wrote:Now don't get me wrong. I don't have any problem with the locality and the running out of supplies. I do, however, have a problem with the fact that they won't allow fans to post scanned copies online.

There's a good chance that Lucasfilm is the one who has said no to posting scanned copies online...
Gumby

Postby onions » Wed May 06, 2009 10:49 am

it's a matter of copyright.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby gfxguy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:26 am

Jargon wrote:... I am disappointed that they are pulling down web scans of the poster when they didn't even have enough supplies to cover the entire two-day period. And sure, I am whining somewhat because I when I went to check out I was told none were left, but I think the point still stands.

I'm curious... did you actually order something even though it said they were out, or did that cause you to stop? A previous poster suggested they were canceling posters for people who tried to order multiple times, which means many may have been freed up and perhaps sent to people who ordered later....

See this post from the news thread:
http://www.fbtb.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1251&start=20
gfxguy

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm

Just recieved my poster. I have the one and only 6528 poster. I bet you are wondering why that number is awesome.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby Jay » Wed May 06, 2009 3:55 pm

I got mine. #6481. It looks nice, but I'm a bit dissapointed at a few things. They included the ugly Clone Wars-style Yoda and Dooku when they could have just used the older, better looking minifigs. Another thing that irked me was the typo in Crix Madine's name, as they unfortunately labeled the minifig as "General Nadine".

Still, it does look really nice overall. I think they got every non brick built character they've made.

EDIT 1: EV-9D9 is absent.

EDIT 2: So is the Imperial Shuttle pilot.
Last edited by Jay on Wed May 06, 2009 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jay

Postby bigj22 » Wed May 06, 2009 4:47 pm

got mine today. Looks good XD number 6620 out of 15000
bigj22

Postby palisade » Thu May 07, 2009 9:17 am

Can someone who received their poster already post the dimensions of the poster? Height x Width? Thanks!
palisade

Postby rocksteady » Thu May 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Not here to flame, but I would think the poster would last till the end of May 4th if people didn't do multiple orders....I find it soo disappointing, but I guess that's just the way things are. I'm just another fellow expecting a Millenium Falcon without no poster :'( Does anyone know how long this item will be up for 25% off?
rocksteady

Postby speaknspell » Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm

banthafodder wrote:The first run had 5000 with COAs. I have 2952

not entirely true actually.

It was the first production run that had the certificates. essentially anything that was produced that first year (2007). It was somewhere between 10-15 thousand. We held back the first ten for fun promotions and what not.

To those of you that like the poster I'm glad, we put a lot of work into it in a very short time. LEGO didn't really start photo archiving stuff super well until around 2003 so we were missing a lot of minifig shots. A bunch of the figs on the poster are from my collection. In the end we ran out of room and couldn't get absolutely everything on there. Overall I'm really happy with it though. To those of you that don't like it...you make me sad and I hope your earwax super heats and burns you deaf.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby thesilverspyder » Thu May 07, 2009 1:59 pm

The poster measures 23" by 31" I think. I'm kinda pissed that they ship it all folded up. I gotta find a odd-shaped frame now. I got #2261!! XD
See my entire collection built piece by piece!
http://www.youtube.com/user/dollarsignfrodofan77
thesilverspyder

Postby Morgan19 » Thu May 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Jay wrote:was the typo in Crix Madine's name, as they unfortunately labeled the minifig as "General Nadine".

There's a typo in the bottom-right hand copy as well: "based on costume from the last 10 years" should be "based on costumes from the last 10 years".

Yes, overall it's a small issue, and I'm still thrilled to have gotten one of the posters for my collection. But geez... Given how hyped up this whole affair was, another round of QC and more time polishing the poster as a whole (what the heck is up with the lighting on that green Gungan?) would've been much nicer and made the whole thing look like less of a hack job.

As a fellow designer, it hurts my eyes to see stupid or careless goofs like those.

m19
Morgan19

Postby ricefields » Thu May 07, 2009 5:11 pm

rocksteady wrote:Not here to flame, but I would think the poster would last till the end of May 4th if people didn't do multiple orders....

I submitted my order of clone battle packs on may 5th 12:02am EST (basically end of may 4th but still leaves 3 hours for those in pacific time for ordering), and received my poster numbered in the #5000's out of 15,000 today (may 7). Based on the above statement and my time of order, I have to assume that Lego should have fulfilled every order from may 3 and may 4 before mine, unless they had an initial set number of posters for US vs CAN residents (eg 13000 for US, 2000 for CAN)?
ricefields

Postby LEGOscum » Fri May 08, 2009 6:13 am

Morgan19 wrote:the whole thing look like less of a hack job.

Believe it or not LEGO has hardly any digital images of the first 5 years, and those images that they do have are largely on celluloid. (This is one of the reason I had to photograph much of my collection for the Visual Dictionary.) I'm not stating fact - I'm making a supposition based on a few pieces of info I know to be true, but it may be that quite a few of the thumbnails came from fansites, which would explain the quality on some of the pictures.
LEGOscum

Postby stanley » Fri May 08, 2009 8:47 am

Still looking to buy/trade for one of these posters if anyone has a spare. Thanks
stanley

Postby Morgan19 » Fri May 08, 2009 9:23 am

LEGOscum wrote:but it may be that quite a few of the thumbnails came from fansites, which would explain the quality on some of the pictures.

That's exactly my point. If LEGO (or whatever design firm they outsourced it to, if that's the case) took the time to hype this up as a grand event, why half-ass the product? I imagine it wouldn't be hard at all for a designer at LEGO to either consistently photograph each themselves (surely they have most if not all in an archive?) or send figures to whoever did the poster so they could do so. If that horribly-lit green Gungan was the only option, for exmaple, the shortcuts just didn't work at all in this case.

I realize the poster was effectively free to the masses, but to be blunt... Justifying that it looks like crap "because it was made from crap" doesn't make the crap any shinier. It should've been produced and managed better, and it wasn't.

It's not really that big of a deal; I'm mostly miffed that they let such silly things as multiple typos and bad graphics slip through the cracks that then taint an otherwise neat idea.

m19
Morgan19

Postby bigj22 » Fri May 08, 2009 11:36 am

OMGGGGGGGGG :O These posters are selling for 50-85 dollars each on Ebay.. Insane. I think I'll keep mine though. :lol:
bigj22

Postby LEGOscum » Fri May 08, 2009 12:21 pm

onions wrote:it's a matter of copyright.

I understand they own the copyright on it, but I mean how can they physically stop people posting images? Are they contacting every hosting service with a C&D threat? I just can't imagine that being an effecxtive use of time and effort.

Morgan19 wrote:Justifying that it looks like crap "because it was made from crap" doesn't make the crap any shinier. It should've been produced and managed better, and it wasn't.

Cool your jets man. The only person offering any explanation to the quality of the poster is me and to say that I'm justifying its crappiness because it was made of crap is way out of line. I'm not defending LEGO, I'm just offering a possible answer. And as I stated in my post I wasn't speaking from facts but conjecture.

While I accept your opinion for what it is - just opinion - you can't really preach against a company that prides itself on quality products and has delivered an awesome toy for over 50 years just because the images they provided on a poster don't meet your expectations. But that's just my opinion.
LEGOscum

Postby gfxguy » Fri May 08, 2009 1:48 pm

LEGOscum wrote:
onions wrote:it's a matter of copyright.

I understand they own the copyright on it, but I mean how can they physically stop people posting images? Are they contacting every hosting service with a C&D threat? I just can't imagine that being an effecxtive use of time and effort.

What's funny to me is that "it's a matter of copyright," yet it seems they stole images from internet in order to make the poster to begin with... of course it was images of their IP to begin with... I guess... except the owner of the physical property took a picture and put it on the net, I don't see how LEGO could claim it as theirs. That'd be like me posting a picture of my car and Honda claiming the picture was their IP.

I think I'm getting a headache.
gfxguy

PreviousNext

Return to Star Wars