Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Pictures of (possible) Ep. VII Storm Trooper Helmets

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Pictures of (possible) Ep. VII Storm Trooper Helmets

Postby Staff » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:32 am

Take this one with a big heaping pile of salt, but Indie Revolver is reporting a first-look at the upcoming Storm Trooper helmets from Episode VII. The biggest reason I say salt is the "reliable sources" quote, which strikes me as a bit too Cardassian way of dodging a question.

wpid-st-helmet

A few questions for me on this one. The first is why there are still Storm Troopers and what not thirty years after the Empire was pretty wrecked. I'm hoping that they actually just explain it, and don't just go all Enterprise on us and say "it's later, nothing has changed." The helmet itself is very Storm Trooper, yet seems kind of... odd. I don't have a good reason for thinking that, it just feels like it's weird. Maybe it's the giant nasal strip over the middle, maybe it's the big ole forehead.

wpid-jt-sun

They also provided a different one, that could be desert or snow trooper variations. Almost looks like a snow trooper, but backdrop says sand. Maybe this is the new peacekeeping or Republic variety... who knows. Either way, it's a safe bet we'll be getting a lot of new Storm Trooper minifigs next year. It's LEGO, so expect them in a variety of colors and for the regular guy to only show up in a very expensive set.

stormtrooper-helmet-2-2

An additional picture also surfaced without the watermark, and has a few additional molding details to the prop replica. Anyone else have thoughts on this thing?

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/15/pictures-of-possible-ep-vii-storm-trooper-helmets/
Staff

Re: Pictures of (possible) Ep. VII Storm Trooper Helmets

Postby trenttelenda1110 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:49 am

I could see this turning out to be legitimate. The more rounded and organic curves remind me a lot of Mcquarries original concept art and with Abrams seeming to be bringing back some of the original designs (see the new X-Wing compared to Mcquarries original concept of the ships and there is a striking similarity). Without jinxing it, All around this is shaping up to be a great return to classic Star Wars.
trenttelenda1110

Postby Spencer Solo » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am

I dig it. It's a departure from the classic bucket style, but in a good way. Not sure how they'll explain the conyinued presence of the Empire, but I have faith.
" Try? Ha! Do or do not. There is no try."- Yoda
Spencer Solo

Postby Gooker1 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:47 am

Obviously the nasal strip is for them to breathe better. Breathing in that helmet can't be super easy...hence large nasal strip. :)

I can see it being legitimate. The movie is hitting us next Christmas, so it's about right for these photos to start to show up. Granted it sucks that people are spoiling it for us out there, but keeping this under wraps will be mighty tough.
Gooker1

Postby rushiosan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:33 pm

"Why are there stormies thirty years after the defeat of the empire?" Yeah, that's bothering me too. I really hope they come up with a solid reason for that.

Anyway, I loved the new design. And if there's going to be storm troopers in the new movie, they absolutely couldn't use the same classic 30-year old outfit and equipment that everyone's asking. I'm open to changes like that. The design is close to the source material from Classic Trilogy so it really doesn't look out of place. The desert thing... well, I'm not a big fan of that. It looks more like a Snowtrooper wearing a gas mask. That angle doesn't help much either.
rushiosan

Postby aztrooper0013 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:28 pm

I can't say I hate it, but I can't say I'm gaga over it either. It appears to be following a growing trend in SciFi that everything look sleek and "Tron" like....
aztrooper0013

Postby Quag-Daddy » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:37 pm

These are all legit...

And about these coming after the empire has been 'defeated'. ... The ending of Episode 6 wasn't the total annihilation of the empire. It was more like the rebels had killed the president and destroyed their best aircraft carrier. - The empire still existed, but they took a serious hit.
Quag-Daddy

Postby LN.01354 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:43 pm

Not completely sold that this is true, but if it is...
XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD XD (If I could, I would've added many more smilies.)

If it is true, this helmet looks absolutely incredible,and, like others said, reminiscent of McQuarrie's designs. It looks old-school Star Wars, yet also has a new feel to it.

On a different note, I for one would like to say that I don't want too many spoilers. In fact, I plan on not reading anything about the movie, or any plot details, or exclusive descriptions, or even watching the trailers. I will only look at the star review of the movie (One star, two stars, etc...), to prepare myself for disappointment or happiness.

And, quite frankly, why do people get so hyper about the Empire's (possible) return? I never read the EU, so I can't see from your viewpoint if you did, but it is very plausible that the leftovers of the Empire have become, in a way, their own rebel alliance. Imperials were pretty serious about their government, so I doubt they would just say, "No Palpatine? Wrap it up!". I have no clue what the story will be, but I hope it can work into the series as a whole, with Anakin's story tied in. Just please don't have Palpatine come back as a clone....that was enough to make me not want to read any EU book.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby Brainslugged » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:12 pm

LN.01354 wrote:On a different note, I for one would like to say that I don't want too many spoilers. In fact, I plan on not reading anything about the movie, or any plot details, or exclusive descriptions, or even watching the trailers.

I'm with you there. I don't see how it's possible to avoid the trailers, but I'll ensure the first time I see it is in a cinema. I still wish that the guys that edited the first Episode One trailer edited the movie because that thing was awesome. It was just downhill from then on unfortunately.
Brainslugged

Postby LN.01354 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:18 pm

I'm with you there. I don't see how it's possible to avoid the trailers, but I'll ensure the first time I see it is in a cinema.

Well, maybe a trailer here and there, but certainly no leaked plot info, or in-depth review of the movie. I don't even want to see the short character bios, like we got with rebels. I only want to see it say __ out of 5 Stars, then see the movie.

I already told my brother that if he ruins it for me, such as giving away plot details, he'll end up looking like Anakin at the end of ROTS. Sadly, I am not kidding.... Don't mess with my Star Wars.:|
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby WillyWampa » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:58 pm

I think it is quite possible for there to be storm trooper based military units 30 years after. It could be seen from two possible viewpoints:

1) The OT storm trooper armor was an evolution based on the Republic clone trooper armor. The new trooper armor may be worn by Republic troopers againl! Recall that the clone troopers were the good guys until Palpatine issued the order to have them clean out the Jedi.

Or..
2) Despite all the fireworks and dancing that the remastered versions of the OT showed following the Emperor's (and Vader's) death, there would still be quite a few worlds and political leaders that had supported the Emperor (even the most ruthless dictator needs some level of support) and would still continue to do so. I think it's quite plausible that the battles could still be going on 30 years down the road.

Either way it'll be hard to avoid spoilers as the movie(s) get closer. I wouldn't be surprised to see trailers popping up in theaters early in the new year. More hype = More attendance = more $$$$ regardless of the film quality.
WillyWampa

Postby LN.01354 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:07 pm

The OT storm trooper armor was an evolution based on the Republic clone trooper armor. The new trooper armor may be worn by Republic troopers againl!

:O Mind=Blown! I had not even thought of this possibility! I like it! However, why would the good guys wear a symbol of evil? For example, does the German army today use Nazi patches on their modern day soldiers? No. Just because they embraced that look before, it has now become a symbol of evil and mistakes in history. Just like the stormtrooper armor has become to the Republic: once a symbol of promise, now a symbol of evil. I imagine that these will, in fact, be Stormtroopers.

But then, what will the rebels (or Republic...no Republicers...no...Republicans? Republic Soldiers....they need a better name) look like?
LN.01354

Postby chikingames » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:34 pm

As long as the stormtroopers being back doesn't pull a "Covenant in Halo 4" on us, I'll be just fine. This is good news all around too, these are real, physical helmets, not CG.
chikingames

Postby rifflestein » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:47 pm

Oh man, those Stormtrooper helmets look incredible. A great update to the original ones.

I'm not 100% sold on the sand/snowtrooper (I'm guessing snow. I think the background just looks more like a desert because of the lighting from the sun, and the visor is totally reminiscent of snow goggles) one, though. The face plate looks nice, but I'm not a fan of how much the top part protrudes. But hey, who knows? Maybe the full suit of armour will make it look better.
rifflestein

Postby murphquake » Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:51 am

We're all assuming too much EU stuff counts. Current SW canon is that the Emperor was defeated and Anakin Skywalker returned to the light side after winning a decisive battle against the Empire at the end of ROTJ. Nothing in canon says anything about Luke/Han/Leia/Chewie/Lando/R2-D2/C-3PO successfully leading the new republic or new Jedi or anything else. In fact I strongly suspect they're going to abandon a LOT of the EU to allow them to make their own story. The Empire, or maybe the Imperial Remnant or some such will probably still feature strongly around the galaxy 30 years less a long long time ago but still just as far far away.
murphquake

Postby LN.01354 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:00 am

In fact I strongly suspect they're going to abandon a LOT of the EU to allow them to make their own story.

Good. From what I've heard, the EU is junk. I mean, there was a period when I was ten (when I first really got into Star Wars), and I read practically every article on Wookieepedia. I am soooo not proud of it, but I at least retained all of the useless knoledge, enough for me to say that the EU books are junk.

I mean, the EU just tried to drag out the story forever. "Oh no, the Empire fell? Umm...Sith! Yeah, now the extinct Sith are back again! Or, erm...Palpatine! Yeah, so now he is like, a clone..." TOO MUCH!!! >8(

The way I see it, Star Wars should've ended after 2005. Story done, over. I am just praying that the new movies don't ruin the legacy; I don't want to go from the deep story of Anakin to just, "Oh, lets kill this villain now!"

P.S: Just thought of a little joke that I giggled at:
Fan: "George, please stop changing the OT. They were fine the way they were."
George: "I am altering the movies! Pray I don't alter them any further!"
*This at least deserves a :| .
LN.01354

Postby dWhisper » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 am

Actually, my statements have little to do with the EU in and of themselves, and more just that the idea that the actions of the OT don't seem to make much sense if the Empire didn't fall at the end.

First, the destruction of the second Death Star amounted to killing the centralized forces of the entire Government. Palpetine dissolved the senate, put "his guys" in charge and made sure that all power flowed through him. Vader was his enforcer, and their major fleet had committed to wiping out the Rebels and protecting the new Death Star. All of them were lost during the battle.

At the minimum, that would have left a huge infighting as people vied for power. We also saw in the Special Editions that there were uprisings and celebrations on several core worlds, like Coruscant and Naboo, so there was obviously something going on. There were only 32 years between the start of the PT and the start of the OT, and only 19 between Episodes III and IV. That means we have 62 years between the PT and the OT (and really, 52 years since the start of the Clone Wars). That means that there are certainly a huge swath of people that remembered the Republic, and a huge swath that didn't remember the wars at all.

My problem with the Empire and Storm Troopers sitting around is what they represent, and how it doesn't fit. They were a force of fear and oppression in the Empire, an Empire which was shown to be falling. I can buy that Empire, in some form, could survive the entire thing (and it did as the EU as the Remnant)... but I can't follow that it would be effectively unchanged, relying on fear and terror to maintain control. For that long, its simply not sustainable.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Blacknight » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:05 pm

Well, one thing's for sure. Unless we see them doing something horrible, these new stormtroopers aren't going to strike fear into anybody. The helmet looks like it's smiling! For that reason alone I'm not really diggin' it. Still trying to decide if I want to get into collecting Disney Star Wars.
Blacknight

Postby Daiman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:20 am

The existence of a galactic enforcement presence is pivotal to the whole Star Wars saga it only remains to be seen who is in charge of them. So far a design change has signified a change in allegiance that may well be the case again though it looks quite a bit more emotionless.
Daiman

Postby hobbie » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:31 am

It's interesting that the helmet isn't symmetrical anymore. The nacelle cap thing that is on left side in the first picture isn't on the right side in the third picture.
hobbie

Next

Return to Star Wars