Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Hallmark lego star wars 2014

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Hallmark lego star wars 2014

Postby banthafodder » Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:49 pm

http://shop.hallmark.com/christmas/chri ... I2593.html
The new Hallmark lego star wars ornament for 2014 is going to be Boba Fett. He is featured with his new, more detailed printing. While I do love me some Boba Fett for the ornament I would,ve been happier with the older style which looked more Lego-ey. Also seeing the more detailed printing in a larger scale makes it look more like an action figure than a lego mini-fig but that won't stop me from getting this. It is available from Hallmark in mid July for $14.95.
banthafodder

Re: Hallmark lego star wars 2014

Postby onions » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am

agree with all your points banthafodder. still, it's their best one yet.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:21 pm

This is the fourth one in the series, correct? IIRC, Vader and Stormtrooper were out in 2012, and Yoda was out last year.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby sparkart » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:12 am

Ever think about how deep the "levels of reference" go with these kind of products?

1st Level: Boba Fett's appearance in the movies
2nd Level: Boba Fett LEGO minifigure
3rd Level: Hallmark Ornament of LEGO minifigure

That really is a testament to the power of the 1st order item, isn't it, that 3rd order items like LEGO comics or video games can be made profitably. And is it possible to make 4th order products, like a beach towel showing a Hallmark Ornament, or a comic-book of the story from a LEGO video game? Or does that cross the line into crass profiteering?

I'm trying to think of an example of a 4th order product, but as usual, "I'm trying to think, but nuthin' happens!"

sparkart

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:04 pm

Is there any LEGO themed clothing that is obviously inspired by one of the videogames? Or could it all arguably be based off the sets themselves, making it third order along with the videogames?

If there were, say, pajamas that had a LEGO Batman 2 logo on them (indicating that they are based on the second game, and not just the sets), then those would be fourth order merchandise, wouldn't they?

Or wait, wouldn't the DVD movie based on LEGO Batman 2 count as fourth order? A movie, based on a videogame, based on LEGO sets, based on a comic book character?
Mister Ed

Postby sparkart » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:58 am

Yes, I think you've also hit upon the testing verbiage for what counts as a level of reference, too - using the "a" article, denoting a generic instance, instead of the "the" article indicating a specific instance: "a movie, based on a game, based on a LEGO set, based on a comic-book character." If you start using specifics, then you could be referencing spin-offs, which, to me, don't make that leap into a different world, or level of reference.
sparkart

Return to Star Wars