Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expanded Now Available

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expanded Now Available

Postby Staff » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:27 pm

LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expanded

Not sure when this happened but there's updated version of the book LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary called, wait for it.... LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expanded. Title needs more colons. In it, you'll find an additional 48 pages encompassing the new sets released since the first version of the book published way back in October of 2009.

Luke-vs.-Luke

Like most of DK's LEGO books, this one comes with an exclusive minifigure of Luke Skywalker. He is in classic yellow and is a throwback to the original 1999 Luke minifig from 7110 Landspeeder. There are some slight differences in the folds printed on the torso as well as the belt buckle. His head and hands are yellow and the head has the original printing of Luke's face. But he is so similar to the 1999 version one it begs the question "Why bother?" There isn't any additional detail to the printing (just slightly different), no additional accessory (a poncho and pith helmet would have been really cool), no major reason to justify getting it other than a) being a completionist and b) you missed out on the first version of Luke. A puzzling decision indeed.

The book is currently priced at $17.28 over at Amazon. Free shipping if you're a Prime member, otherwise you'll need to add a second book or up your total by $12.72 to qualify for Free Super Saver Shipping.

old photo courtesy of Bricklink
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/06/09/lego-star-wars-the-visual-dictionary-updated-and-expanded-now-available/
Staff

Re: LEGO Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary: Updated and Expan

Postby rushiosan » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:58 pm

Even if you missed the first Luke minifigure:

a) it's cheaper to buy another copy on eBay
b) it's yellow (yeah, that's me being racist) and probably won't fit any SW set you have purchased in the past 10 years

Not worth it if you ask me... but it could be worse. They could have included a megaphone blaster. ;)
rushiosan

Postby madLEGOman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:07 pm

what's the point of making a classic luke figure anyway if you're not going to make it like the original? it's about the same as when they do so called classic spacemen with futron helmets
madLEGOman

Postby Slogghead » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:17 am

I picked this up at Costco for $12.99. I would not pay retail though...
Slogghead

Postby gomek » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

As I said previously, I'm very happy about this figure because I've been spending too much on Lego recently and needed for this to be an easy pass, which it is.

Personally, I used the money for those printed Ghostbuster arms, a purchase I'm pretty happy with.

And honestly, until Lego can produce a few figures off of everyone's top 10 most wanted list, these variants are just really annoying.
gomek

Postby mjacobson » Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:16 pm

What is the ten most wanted list?
mjacobson

Postby Mars Needs LEGO » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:37 pm

Don't know who made the decision to go with the retro Luke minifigure, but that decision saved me money, and I am grateful.

I couldn't speak to anyone else's Top 10 most wanted list, but my Top 3 are the Cloud City versions of Luke, Leia and Lando.
Mars Needs LEGO

Postby batsamd » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:28 am

I purchased this book from Sam's Club for about $14 and I'm happy with the book.

Noticed a few places where the wording was incorrect, but like the high quality photos and paper and the set time line is awesome, I'd forgotten about a lot of those sets.

Also, the minifig gallery is great to see all the variants of a minifig.

Yeah I'm really disappointed in the minifig because it's always nice to justifiy buying these books because there is an exclusive minifig but mostly I buy them for the book and since I didn't have to pay MSRP or even Amazon's $17-$18 price for it, I'm happy with the purchase.

There is an little interview with the minifig designer, interesting to know that he designed the first Tatooine Luke minifig from the first Landspeeder set and redesigned for this book, although he does say what the differences are between the two, main difference being the Luke in this book has back torso printing.

I'd recommend this book for the set/minifig photos but not at MSRP.
batsamd

Postby gomek » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:31 am

mjacobson wrote:What is the ten most wanted list?

I was speaking in general terms, but I think if you polled 1,000 Lego Star Wars fans about their 10 most wanted lists, I think you'd get a lot of the same answers. One figure I don't think you'd see on those lists anywhere is a yellow retro Luke figure.
gomek

Postby onions » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:21 pm

batsamd wrote:main difference being the Luke in this book has back torso printing

that i did not know and yet still not worth it to me.

who am i kidding though? i'll still pick one up eventually...
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Ultron32 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:32 pm

batsamd wrote:main difference being the Luke in this book has back torso printing.

That's actually pretty cool.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby Flynn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:12 am

I stand by what I said earlier re: the Luke minifigure:

Flynn wrote:I think too many of you are coming from the vantage point of collectors who have been here since 1999, which is manifestly not the audience this book is aimed for. The purpose of the minifigure is to be an artifact from the very first year of the line, and it's difficult to think of a figure that suits that purpose better than Tatooine Luke (offhand, the only other ones that fit the bill are Qui-Gon, Pilot Luke or maybe Darth Maul). From a collecting standpoint, yeah, it's a terrible choice, but this wasn't chosen for a collecting standpoint, it was chosen to be a counterpart to a book aimed for kids.

Again, the purpose of these minifigures aren't to be valuable to collectors, so hoping for a "top 10 wanted" figure was always going to bring disappointment. I mean, I'll say it again- this is a book aimed towards kids. Complaining that it's not catering to your adult collecting needs puts you suspiciously in mind of Will Ferrell in The LEGO Movie.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:57 am

I agree in spirit, and make the argument a lot that LEGO is ultimately a kids toy... but this is a "throwback" of a figure that is from 15 years ago, and a type of figure (yellow) that hasn't been around for ten years. The book is most certainly aimed at kids, but I'd argue that the figure included here isn't.

But wishlists and most wanteds are typically a bad idea anyway. Lego is about creating, and there's a huge number of things we can do at this point.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:44 am

Oh, I think it's still aimed at kids, given how self-consciously it's labeled as a retro figure. The point is to go with the book and say "Hey, kids! Here's a bit of what the line used to be like!" You can argue as to how many kids would really enjoy that, but hey, when I was a kid I got a kick out of retro-styled stuff like this, so who can say.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Return to Star Wars