Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

First Clip of Star Wars Rebels

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

First Clip of Star Wars Rebels

Postby Staff » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:35 pm

WonderCon is going on right now out in California, and along with what is possibly a trove of nerdy news (I have been doing yard work, so running behind on keeping up... there aren't any real fun Cons in Arkansas), we get the first actual clip from the show. We've had a lot of videos telling us all about the characters (who are, shockingly, not as cliched in those videos as they were in the short blurbs and descriptions. Executive Producer Dave Filoni (who also directed The Clone Wars) and Vanessa Marshall (who voices Hera) open up the video.

Yeah, I'm still looking forward to seeing this, and all of the sets that it brings along. Thanks to dano for the head's up on this!

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/19/first-clips-of-star-wars-rebels/
Staff

Re: First Clip of Star Wars Rebels

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:58 pm

Errrghh this is stunningly uninspiring...looks like more of the same from the Clone Wars series....roll on December 2015!
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:28 pm

More of the same from The Clone Wars is a good thing in my book...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:49 pm

Great. The droid is the Jar Jar of the cast. So much for thinking I'd like it.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Blacknight » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:57 pm

By the time this series is done, the Imperials will have become worse cannon fodder for plucky heroes than the battle droids were.
Blacknight

Postby dWhisper » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 pm

Well, that's a given, considering that all of these heroes have names, and it's well known that a Storm Trooper can't hit anyone that has a name (at least a given name on the movie, not some nonsense name that was made up to sell action figures).
dWhisper

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:50 pm

dWhisper wrote:More of the same from The Clone Wars is a good thing in my book...

I was thinking the same thing. Folks who casually diss The Clone Wars either haven't seen it all the way through or don't have a grasp on good Star Wars storytelling IMO.
The_Chosen_1

Postby Trooper10 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:55 pm

The_Chosen_1 wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. Folks who casually diss The Clone Wars either haven't seen it all the way through or don't have a grasp on good Star Wars storytelling IMO.

'O' being operative...my diss is far from casual, having seen all of the clone wars material, including the original Tartakovsky series (which I loved), the movie (which bored me), all 6 seasons of the second series (which I find to be extremely variable in quality*) and the Lego features set in and around the CW period (which I found fun and silly), my 'O' is that the main Clone Wars stuff is overall just average in quality for SW as a whole(Tartakovsky excluded), but still better than the PT stuff in terms of plot and interest.
The look so far at fairly cliched characters (not a big deal in itself), kinda ugly Lego models of the ships, and this sneak peak have reduced my hopes that Rebels might be a step up. But if it can reach the level of the better CW material then maybe...maybe...

*Eg IMO creating a yellow Darth Maul, then reviving a bisected Darth Maul is really, really weak and lazy story telling, but the Assaj Ventriss plot arcs were far more interesting and creative. Similarly S6 Jar Jar plot line was inane whereas the Yoda + Younglings getting their lightsaber crystals added something to the SW universe.
Trooper10

Postby banthafodder » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:09 pm

I'll give it a whirl. I only watched the first few seasons of the clone wars intermittently and eventually got bored with it. I'm hoping for more from this one. I'm glad the tie fighters sound like tie fighters but the lasers sound like rubber band shooters. That is disappointing.
banthafodder

Postby sparkart » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12 am

I'm thankful that the richly diverse Star Wars universe hinted at in the original trilogy is coming into being. Finally, not a Skywalker or Fett in sight. I mean, jeez, Anakin and Jango were like James Kirk spreading "Space Seed", they had so many kids and progeny...

I'm okay with the characters and the shadowy animation, and the voice actors sound good to me, too. I'm a bit jarred by the music, though. That music is so ingrained in my head as belonging to A New Hope, down to a specific scene or action in ANH, that I really don't like it being treated so generically, like a Star Trek dramatizer track. I know variations of original trilogy music have shown up in video games, but they were electronic, sounded different, and not cloned so absolutely.
sparkart

Postby dWhisper » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:24 pm

The Clone Wars figures were ugly and nightmarish (and, after watching some of the cartoon series, a poor representation), but there were several very nice sets from the run. The RGS was very nice, even if the new one is better, and the CW AT-TE is still the best version in my mind.

As a cartoon, it wasn't anymore inconsistent than most other series, and it was very unique in that space for having actual character growth (especially after the first season). More than that, it made some characters far greater than they were in the movies (Anakin, especially), and explained a lot of the stuff just glossed over in the films (like how the Jedi were duped, how they were ultimately at fault for so many of the Dark Jedi). More than that, it showed actual consequence to the war past toasters and clones. And even with the clones, it gave them personality and depth, and made them feel like something so much greater than they were in Episode 2 and 3.

Continuing that, and showing the build up to the Republic (and, eventually, young Han and Leia and what not... you know it's gonna happen)' is very promising.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:29 am

It's kind of unsettling to see you so optimistic about this.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 am

It makes the disappointment more memorable when I get expectations that can be dashed. Bring back that extra-special sting like when I saw Episode I the first time...
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:51 pm

Masochism is a highly underrated human attribute... ;)
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:58 pm

One of my favorite terrible jokes... "What happened when a sadist and a masochist got married? The sadist said beat me beat me best me... and the sadist said 'no',
dWhisper

Postby crazybirdman » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:12 pm

What the, did the droid just beat himself in the head?

and are any shows going to deal with the fact that not everyone in the Empire is 'evil', and the heroes are just straight up murdering people?

The_Chosen_1 wrote:I was thinking the same thing. Folks who casually diss The Clone Wars either haven't seen it all the way through or don't have a grasp on good Star Wars storytelling IMO.

I hear this argument often, but how much of a crappy show are we expected to sit through while we wait for it to get good? I didn't like the movie that was supposed to introduce the show, I didn't like the 1st two seasons. And all everyone says it "It gets good near the end!" Then why didn't they just start with season three or four or whatever? Were the first few seasons all just for character development and to set up the show?
crazybirdman

Postby WillyWampa » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:55 am

I found the teaser to be quite surprising. It seems to have a lot of the feel of the original Star Wars film. Little details like the way the tie fighters move and the targeting screen are right in line with the original scene of the escape from the Death Star. Throw in the soundtrack and it becomes more convincing. Admittedly the droid is a bit of a clown, but then so is R2-D2. Although less clownish, how often do we see R2 crash into things and/or fall over screaming as part of the comic relief in the original or prequel movies?
WillyWampa

Postby dWhisper » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:19 am

R2-D2 is only a clown to cover up for his psychopathic, murderous ways. He's a straight-up killer.
dWhisper

Return to Star Wars