Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Chewbacca Lives!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Chewbacca Lives!

Postby Staff » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:21 pm

Peter-Mayhew-–-Chewbacca-While-working-as-a-hospital-orderly-in-London-the-7-foor-3_-When-Mayhew-attended-a-casting-call-for-Star-Wars-he-got-the-job-the-mo

With so many rumours and assumptions flying around the filming of Episode VII, it's really been like pulling teeth for news outlets to get any official confirmations from the studio on what's going on. Today The Hollywood Reporter posted that Peter Mayhew has been confirmed to reprise his role as Chewbacca in the new movie. If Chewie is in the film, it can't be too long before Disney confirms Ford's involvement as well, right? Right?

Either way, having Chewie back is good news for fans of the original films (right? I mean, he was in Revenge which was the best of the three prequels for me) and after Abrams' twitter confirmation of the triumphant return of R2-D2, it does seem one step closer to an official announcement that they are indeed getting the band back together. Filming has apparently already begun filming, without having a main cast locked in it would appear, but it could just be location shots, 2nd unit stuff, R2 spinning around in circles or who knows what.

Comments in the chatroom indicated to me that the news of Chewbacca's return may be received negatively from die hard fans of the EU, of which I am not. Who knows, maybe he'll be come back as a cyborg like so many before him. I'm wondering when the news that Boba Fett is returning will break...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/04/07/chewbacca-lives/
Staff

Re: Chewbacca Lives!

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:55 pm

Die hard and insane fans of the EU. That was the worst part of the worst series.

I really read this more as "Dear fans, we love you. Dear EU... go * bleep * * bleep * * bleep *"
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:26 pm

Yeah, this and R2 are total fan service. With any luck it'll be a good thing.
buriedbybricks

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:27 pm

It's also important to keep in mind that this is far from confirmed yet. Many, many news outlets have picked up on this story today, but until it's confirmed by Disney/Lucasfilm, it isn't official.
The_Chosen_1

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:53 am

Massive fan of the original movies, but if it's not too late, Dinsey -pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't put in cameos of all the old characters. I really don't want to see an old Han, old fat Leia or anyone else. And definitely not an old Chewie. Wasn't he meant to be 200 years old in Star Wars? So he wouldn't have aged as much of as the others proportionally. No good can come of the cameos, only bad. I'd much prefer just a new story in the universe Star Wars gave us. Apart from anything else, it'll just be depressing seeing all the old characters and just be a reminder of how old I've got since the original movies came out.
Brainslugged

Postby dWhisper » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:11 pm

See, that's the one thing I trust J.J. Abrams to do okay at and make it work. It was one of the few things that worked well in the Star Trek reboot (though reading the unused scene that would have had Shatner voicing a letter at the end made me sad at it not being included).

Chewie isn't that big of a deal, and I don't see anything wrong with actually looking at characters having aged. It happens, and it'd be nice to see a movie actually deal with it instead of just rebooting to a younger actor.
dWhisper

Postby Zrath » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:45 pm

"Filming has apparently already begun filming,"

Oh, Ken, don't ever change. :D

Zrath (Legendary Kzin of legend)
Zrath

Postby Inzane » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:25 pm

I'm ok with Chewie coming back. In fact I welcome it. The EU novel series that killed him off was an unnecssary move IMO.

Boba Fett on the other hand. I see no reason to undo what was previously understood ON SCREEN for the last 30+ years. He met his demise in the sarlaac (despite my liking of the EU novels that continued his story). His uncalled for appearance (cough -- insertion) in EpIV SE was in your face and contrived enough. :facepalm:

I think they should leave the Fett alone and create a NEW bounty hunter to ad some mystique or tension. New principal cast in a new time period... new antagonist(s).

And yes I know there was talk about a new standalone Fett movie, but has it been confirmed, or even stated what timeline it would be set in? (before OT, during OT, post OT?)
Inzane

Postby Brainslugged » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:43 pm

Let me restate my position. I think having Chewie featuring in the movie, or as just a cameo in the movie could work really well - as long as he wasn't an old Chewie. As mentioned earlier, he lives a lot longer than the humans, so wouldn't necessarily have visibly aged in the last 30 years. Maybe Chewie is a kind of Littlest Hobo kinda guy - hangs out with one dude for a while, helps save the galaxy, then moves onto another adventure.

As cool as it would be to have Peter Mayhew reprising his role, he may be too old to pull it off. The thing I have a problem with is just shoehorning all the old characters in there. Hopefully JJ will pull it off, but it'll be a very fine line to navigate with the potential risks outweighing the rewards. Best case scenario is we go "oh cool - it's Han". One of many bed scenarios is "OMG - there's Harrison Ford, what happened to him, and why is he still wearing the same outfit from 30 years ago? And I thought he hated the whole Star Wars thing now. I can't believe he sold out just to make a quick buck. And why's Jabba the Hut got his hair in buns?"
Brainslugged

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:14 pm

I don't think the risks outweigh the rewards, myself. If the movies are set in a time period in which the original characters would reasonably still be alive, then I think it is MORE of a risk to try to do them without any appearance of the original characters. The risks of having those characters CARRY the new films would be great, but having them appear? That seems a no brainer. And R2-D2 and C-3PO pretty much HAVE to appear, and not just as cameos, either, IMHO. Those droids are a thread that helps tie the movies into a single extended storyline, and it would be weird, for me at least, to have a continuation of the saga (which is the implication of having the episode numbering continue) without them along for the ride. The various "side movies" that they are planning, that aren't part of the numbered series, can do whatever they want in terms of discarding familiar elements, or exploring new facets of the universe, but as long as it says "Episode-insert-number-here" there is a certain amount of continuity I've come to expect.

If they set the new episodic movies far enough after the original trilogy, I could see dropping all the original characters (except the droids) with just some mention of how things went for them after we last saw them, but if it is supposed to be set within those characters' lifetimes, it would be crazy, IMHO, to exclude them entirely from the episodic films.
Mister Ed

Postby buriedbybricks » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Zrath wrote:"Filming has apparently already begun filming,"

Oh, Ken, don't ever change. :D

Wish I could say the same about you.

No wait, I don't.
buriedbybricks

Postby dman7529 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:20 am

I'm sorry but having cameo's or small amount of screen time of the older actors is not just fan service, but can act as proper closure, a hope if you will, that the new cast will take the story in the right direction. We see an older Han playing with kids/grandkids, acting like a general, instead of running around blasting stormtroopers (Nazis and Commies) and hiding in refrigerators from atomic bombs. We see the older, stately Leia, as she embraces the political role like her mother before her. We see Luke training the new order of Jedi, communicating with Yoda and Obi-Wan (no Hayden Anakin) on the struggles he's facing. The new cast is the main focus, whether they're Han and Leia's kids/grandkids, or pupils in Luke's new Jedi order, or whatever. As has been said before, Abrams did this with old Spock in Star Trek pretty well. If done correctly, its a good way to start off. If they Leia in her slave outfit running around, then yeah, not so much...
dman7529

Postby lego the hutt » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:19 am

I agree with the people who talk about how wookies age and that Chewie shouldn't show signs of aging. A quick search said that wookies are supposed to live hundreds of years so there is no reason for him to have gray hair or anything. My question is if Peter Mayhew can still move fluidly enough and is able to make exaggerated enough movements to make Chewie seem lifelike through the suit.

It would be horrific if he ended up looking like itchy from the holiday special.

lego the hutt

Postby dWhisper » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:05 am

How fluidly did he move in the original movies? Chewie wasn't known for his acrobatics... he mostly carried, growled, and walked around being very tall.

Honestly, with all respect to Mayhew, but he's not exactly crucial to the role of Chewbacca, at least compared to other characters that were behind costumes or puppets. Frank Oz was the voice of Yoda as much as the operator, and it was Anthony Daniel's whiney voice that will forever be linked to C3PO.

Sadly, that sort of leaves Kenny Baker and Mayhew out. Baker is probably the easier of them to just back-burner, since he hates Daniels anyway. Mayhew it'd be sad to go (maybe they could work him in some other way), since he's so good with the fans (and good at insulting the TSA)... but they're not needed to still have the characters. R2 is mostly CGI for a lot of stuff, and a puppet otherwise. I would absolutely hate to see Chewie all 3D-ified, it would be as bad as Episode I puppet Yoda, but there could probably be a replacement "really tall skinny guy that can wear a shaggy rug."
dWhisper

Postby lego the hutt » Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:07 am

dWhisper wrote:How fluidly did he move in the original movies? Chewie wasn't known for his acrobatics... he mostly carried, growled, and walked around being very tall.

Honestly, with all respect to Mayhew, but he's not exactly crucial to the role of Chewbacca, at least compared to other characters that were behind costumes or puppets. Frank Oz was the voice of Yoda as much as the operator, and it was Anthony Daniel's whiney voice that will forever be linked to C3PO.

Sadly, that sort of leaves Kenny Baker and Mayhew out. Baker is probably the easier of them to just back-burner, since he hates Daniels anyway. Mayhew it'd be sad to go (maybe they could work him in some other way), since he's so good with the fans (and good at insulting the TSA)... but they're not needed to still have the characters. R2 is mostly CGI for a lot of stuff, and a puppet otherwise. I would absolutely hate to see Chewie all 3D-ified, it would be as bad as Episode I puppet Yoda, but there could probably be a replacement "really tall skinny guy that can wear a shaggy rug."

I think using fluidity when describing chewies movement was a poor choice of wording on my part. I was more referring to the fact that Mayhew has been using a cane. I think it is common knowledge he has had knee surgeries..i think more than 1?...i didn't look it up. Mayhew has trouble moving like a normal person, let alone having to exaggerate the movements because you are in a suit.

To tell you the truth I am surprised they brought him back because it should be easy enough to find another tall person and direct them to move how they want. It has been reported for a couple weeks now that Mayhew has canceled one of his scheduled con appearances due to filming so it sounds like it will really be Peter in the suit.

Baker is most assuredly out. It was announced months ago that the R2 builders club based in England was going to be building multiple remote control R2 and other driods for the sequels. R2 was the first confirmed sequel character because of it. At this point I doubt they will have a person inside R2. Baker would be really old now too I think?
lego the hutt

Postby dWhisper » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 am

Not just a cane, also a wheelchair at times, which is sad, but yes, he's certainly in that "too old" age for the new movie. That is the case for almost all of the original cast (other than Hammill and Fisher, which we may rag on for having gotten "old" and all, but they're still 62 and 57, respectively... personally, I'm fine with them getting old, as it's something I too suffer from), unfortunately.
dWhisper

Return to Star Wars