Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars Celebration convention?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Star Wars Celebration convention?

Postby sparkart » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:50 am

It's funny, I don't care about autographs either, but the opportunity came up to get just one at the Celebration I attended. So, I used the last of my cash to fenagle a deal for a Gentle Giant Boba Fett statue there, and had Jeremy Bulloch sign it. I was indifferent about the Boba Fett statue, I only got it just to have something for Mr. Bulloch to sign, but it's become one of the prized pieces in my collection. Last I checked on eBay, something similarly signed had an asking price of $1300. Crazy.

I shouldn't say I don't care about autographs, because I did stand in line in the hot San Diego sun, dressed in Colonial Marines Armor waiting for an autograph from Syd Mead. He kindly signed the windshield of my LEGO Blade Runner Spinner, and was giving away signed lithographs of the Sulaco from Aliens. They guy's getting old, and I wanted to thank him in person for the cool stuff he's made in his career. I gave him a tiny LEGO mini model of a Spinner, too. I wonder if he kept it.
sparkart

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:31 am

Bill the Builer wrote:
Just curious, how pricey were the autographs and/or photo sessions? Were they somewhat reasonable? Or insanely expensive?

the "less important" stars like Aayla Secura

WHO.....??????????????
Inzane

Postby lego the hutt » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:41 am

Maybe I'm strange, but I don't like autographs either. I would love a picture with some of the stars that I like but the last thing I want is someone to scribble their name on my stuff.

When I was younger I used to send away for autographs of baseball players I was a fan of...I had Nolan Ryan's autograph, Bo Jackson's autograph and a lot of others, but as I got older my opinion of autographs changed. I see things on ebay and I'd always rather have the non-autographed version than the signed one, even if the price is the same. I feel like the signature ruins it and makes the product look worse. I just don't see value in a signature anymore. I'd rather have a clean item.
lego the hutt

Postby Bill the Builer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:35 am

Inzane wrote:
Bill the Builer wrote:
Just curious, how pricey were the autographs and/or photo sessions? Were they somewhat reasonable? Or insanely expensive?

WHO.....??????????????

Sorry! I didn't mean to refer to anyone as less important. In fact, Amy was the only one of the celebs there I talked with. But I had the feeling that the agency in charge of selling autograph tickets clearly viewed some actors as less important than others.

Or did I misunderstand your "WHO"? Since I referred to Aayla instead of Amy Allen.
Bill the Builer

Postby dWhisper » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:04 pm

Yeah, there is a very short list of people I'd pay to get the autograph of (mostly sports people, like George Brett or Emmitt Smith). I even bought the tickets for the full event, but really doubt I'll go to all of it (or if I do, I know my wife / daughter won't want to be there for all of it). The vendor floor will be nifty, but I'll pass on stuff like autographs or staged pictures.

Unless I can get a picture of Billy Dee Williams giving me a bear hug. I'd pay good money for that...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:28 pm

Bill the Builer wrote:
Inzane wrote:

WHO.....??????????????

Or did I misunderstand your "WHO"? Since I referred to Aayla instead of Amy Allen.

That was my way of saying you referenced a really obscure character (to me, anyway) who didn't even have any spoken lines in the films.

That actress (Amy whatsherface) was the headliner (Star Wars) "celebrity" that came to an early Edmonton comic & entertainment expo a few years ago.
Last edited by Inzane on Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inzane

Postby Inzane » Wed Mar 12, 2014 1:47 pm

Back in 2012 my brother and I went to the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo and it was a significant event that year because it was the historic first reunion of the entire ST:TNG cast, which also included Tash Yar, Wesley and Q (surprise quest) as well as the usual regulars.

My brother and I split the cost for a group photo with Jonathan Frakes, Marina Sirtis and Michael Dorn (I think that cost $120 CDN, but it was with three of them, and incl. two prints plus digital).

Between the two of us we also got autographed pictures from Geordi, Data, Worf and Riker. (We were buying the odd one for ourselves as well as our other brother than wasn't with us). For each of those we got a few minutes to chat with them. Those were $40 CDN each if I recall. The highlights for me were Michael Dorn and Levar Burton. Those guys were awesome to meet. Totally humble and very appreciative of their fans.

I'm trying to remember the cost for Patrick Stewart, who was the obvious headliner. I think photos and/or autographs with him were in the range of $80-120 CDN.
Inzane

Postby jomandybri » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:21 am

I went to CVI in Orlando back in 2012? Flew in as an uber-dedicated fan fom Australia :cool: I did get a few autographs, as they were/are, quite potentially, once in a lifetime for me. The lesser known actors were all $40USD. It went up to about $125 for your most known actors. Pretty accuracte of what everyone has said here.

As for what was on, there was a huge area of fans running stalls (from customer sabers to outfits to figs to Lego, you name it, it was more than likely there). Then yeah there is the product display booths from companies like Lego, Hasbro, Rancho Obi Wan, T Shirt companies, etc. There's the big Celebration store that carries exclusive merch for the show. There was also recreated scenarios to have photos in with costumed passer-bys, or just yourself (they were sets like Tatooine, Death Star, a giant minifigure carded backing you could step into etc). Fantastic people everywhere, all really friendly an pumped to be there. Of course also all of the side-rooms from the main exhibition area there were running presentations (which people lined up forever for the exclusive 'product'), again from copmanies like Lego and Hasbro, but also TCW, etc. They did panels and interviews and exclusive screenings of bits and pieces. We saw the first 5 mins of Ep. III in 3D at the closing ceremony, too... clearly we won't be seeing that again for a while. :p

All in all, just so much general awesome that it makes me really, really, want to go again. If I was to do it again, I would take a camera... I didn't last time as my friend had one, but sometimes there were things I wanted to shoot that didn't interest him :facepalm: Oh, and I'd probably pack an extra suitcase and a wad of money XD :lol:
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby Inzane » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:01 pm

I'm not going to dare quote the post on the first page with that picture. Once was more than enough.

But one has got to ask. What goes through a person's mind when they decide something like that is a GOOD idea? Why would the convention going public want to lay eyes on a hairy manbeast bikini clad leia? And look at the guy's smile in the photo... Is he some kind of sick, twisted saddist that enjoys inflicting pain and suffering onto people?

Maybe he thought it'd be funny. How many people actually laughed?
Inzane

Postby SDIronClaw » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:18 am

I attended Celebration in 2012 in Orlando. It was a mind blowing event for me, and a truly awesome experience. I did not see the point in standing in the huge lines to get autographs, which were quite pricey ($100+ for main characters); but I did get Lorne Peterson's autograph and had a nice chat with him. Very down to earth fellow.

The local LUG group did a huge display, which was equally a huge hit all 4 days of the convention. I was able to unveil my ISD at the event, which was quite the crowd pleaser. I highly encourage FBTB/Local LUG to do the same...it would be a great time for you all. Ace alluded to it a few months ago, so I imagine something will come down to the pipe here in the near future. I know I had a blast! LA is too far for me, so more than likely I will not be attending next year. BLUF it is an event you do not want to miss and a MUST for all Star Wars geeks!
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby sparkart » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:50 pm

Lorne Peterson! One of the handful of autographs I have, too. I went to one of his book signings, and it was the best book signing i ever attended. There was a screening of A New Hope at an old theater across from the bookstore, with fan made studio scale models on display. I didn't have a copy of Mr. Petersons book, yet, so i brought along the base from a Code 3 Slave I. He looked at it, and said, "Yeah, I worked on that," and signed it. Nice guy.
sparkart

Previous

Return to Star Wars