Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Star Wars Celebration convention?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Star Wars Celebration convention?

Postby Inzane » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:05 pm

Hey folks,

Has anyone here attended one of those Celebration events?

The reason I ask is my wife got me tickets for next year's event (2015, Anaheim) for my birthday recently. I was wondering what to expect (what I'll likely see, what I can do, etc).

Thanks.
Inzane

Re: Star Wars Celebration convention?

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:00 pm

Not I, but I purchased tickets for the upcoming event as well for me and my wife (my daughter, luckily, will be young enough to get in free). Still need to book all the other stuff, as it's just more than a year off, but never been to something that size.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:17 pm

I've got my tickets as we'll but have not attended one before
banthafodder

Postby Joedward » Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:02 pm

I went to Celebration Europe in London in, I think, 2005.

I met Ian (Bluemoose) and Tim ((Rogue Bantha) I think it was him, anyway) very briefly. I don't remember too much, lots of things for sale, lots of massive exhibits.
Stalls for artwork, props and models, toys, games, clothes, all that jazz. They even had a Jedi training school going on.

I honestly can't remember too much in detail though. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, perhaps I was just too young to remember. I don't think I really had any idea what to do with myself while I was there.
Would love to go to another one if it comes to town again. At have a much better time, I'd know what to do with myself, and I might actually take some pictures.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby lego the hutt » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:05 pm

I got my tickets the day they went on sale last summer. I am looking forward to it.
lego the hutt

Postby Andi » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:00 am

Joedward wrote:I went to Celebration Europe in London in, I think, 2005.

I met Ian (Bluemoose) and Tim ((Rogue Bantha) I think it was him, anyway) very briefly. I don't remember too much, lots of things for sale, lots of massive exhibits.
Stalls for artwork, props and models, toys, games, clothes, all that jazz. They even had a Jedi training school going on.

I honestly can't remember too much in detail though. Perhaps I wasn't paying enough attention, perhaps I was just too young to remember. I don't think I really had any idea what to do with myself while I was there.
Would love to go to another one if it comes to town again. At have a much better time, I'd know what to do with myself, and I might actually take some pictures.

Wasn't that in summer 2007?

What you describe sounds like the Exhibition in County Hall they had in 2008.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Inzane » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:06 am

dwhisper, banthafodder, lego the hutt... just to clarify, are you guys going to 2014 or 2015?
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:11 am

2015. I don't think there is a Celebration event in 2014.
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:19 am

dWhisper wrote:2015. I don't think there is a Celebration event in 2014.

Yeah, I think you're right. I just googled it and hadn't realized it wasn't an annual thing.

So what I guess this means is................ "FBTB meet" at Celebration next year?! XD

Let's do it!
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:21 am

There have been talks about it. We'll have info when it gets closer to the date.
dWhisper

Postby sparkart » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:23 pm

I attended Celebration IV at the LA Convention Center. Saw lots of cosplay, good, bad, epic, and unforgettable - not always in a good way! Imagine the exact male opposite of Princess Leia, hairy, overweight, but dressed as Slave Leia. Sorry about that.

Lots of opportunities to buy collectibles, get autographs, and take pictures of interesting things, including props and full-size vehicles(!). The things I enjoyed most were the on-stage interviews; I remember laughing the most at Carrie Fisher's.

I hope there will be some kind of Bothcon gathering at Celebration, too.
sparkart

Postby lego the hutt » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:50 pm

sparkart wrote: Imagine the exact male opposite of Princess Leia, hairy, overweight, but dressed as Slave Leia. Sorry about that.

I'm glad that is not permanently burned into the back of my eyelids like it must be for you...sounds terrifying.
lego the hutt

Postby banthafodder » Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:29 pm

You had to post that... Curse you. Hope that's not a selfie
banthafodder

Postby Bill the Builer » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:29 am

I attended celebration last year in Germany.
There were basically 4 areas:

The first area presented mercahndise. Companies like Lego, Hasbro and so on showing off their current Star Wars products.

The second area had private vendors selling collectables and hard-to-find stuff. There were also 15 tattoo artists offering Star Wars tattoos with a contest on the final day. There was also the autograph-signing hall that had almost everyone from the OT except for Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Wiliams.

The third area had groups showing off self-made weapons, costumes, droids and artifacts and so on and a kids-activity center.

The fourth area was a celebrity stage where every other hour a Star Wars celebrity was brought out and interviewed by Warwick Davis, as well as some re-enactments, which was amusing. Guests included Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Ian Mcdiarmid, all of the Boba and Jango Fetts, Ben Burt, Kathleen Kennedy, Dave Filoni and many others.

For me, the celebrity Stage made it all worth it. Kathleen Kennedy was so impressed by the team that made the droids that 2 of them were recruited to work on Episode VII.

There are large replicas and diaramas throught the halls and a few smaller sections where special presentations were held.
Bill the Builer

Postby Inzane » Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:32 am

Bill the Builer wrote:There was also the autograph-signing hall that had almost everyone from the OT except for Harrison Ford and Billy Dee Wiliams.

Just curious, how pricey were the autographs and/or photo sessions? Were they somewhat reasonable? Or insanely expensive?
Inzane

Postby Andi » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:28 am

Inzane wrote:
Just curious, how pricey were the autographs and/or photo sessions? Were they somewhat reasonable? Or insanely expensive?

At the Star Trek Convention here in Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago, they took 50 Euro per autograph from William Shatner etc.

I guess Star Wars actors charge similar.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Joedward » Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:11 pm

Andi wrote:
Joedward wrote:I went to Celebration Europe in London in, I think, 2005.

Wasn't that in summer 2007?

What you describe sounds like the Exhibition in County Hall they had in 2008.

I went to that too. Really, I'm not certain of the date of CE, so I just wrote what felt right. Perhaps it was 07.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Bill the Builer » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:55 am

Insanely expensive. Big stars like Carrie Fisher & Mark Hamill were 120 or 125 Euro, the "less important" stars like Aayla Secura or Admiral Ackbar were 25 Euro, and then some like Peter Mayhew or the Fetts were in between. I believe it cost extra to be able to have someone take your picture with them.

I'm glad I don't care about autographs. It was enough for me to just walk by them and wave.
Bill the Builer

Next

Return to Star Wars