Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Do you "play" with your lego sets?

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Do you "play" with your lego sets?

Postby Matthew » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:07 am

Do any of you "play" with your lego sets? I don't. Once I build them they sit in my room for me to admire.... Lol spent couple 1000 of dollars on stuff for them to sit in my room and collect dust... :P
Matthew

Re: Do you "play" with your lego sets?

Postby bigospedros » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:54 am

I am similar ... but how it this different to any other collectable toy?

At least you know you could take them apart and build something else if you wanted to ...
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:53 pm

The biggest way I play with LEGO is by building with it. So yeah, I play with my sets. I don't leave sets together to display, for the most part. I build them, then admire them for a short time, try out any play features, swoosh a bit if applicable, then disassemble it and put it away until I choose to build it again. In the meantime I will raid sets as necessary to build something else, enjoy that for a short time, then try to put the pieces back in the sets they came from. Most of my sets are disassembled at any given time, and all have been assembled many, many times over the years, by myself, and by a succession of children.
Mister Ed

Postby sparkart » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:41 pm

No, I don't play with them, but I will confess that I will often take a new MOC and put it next to me on my nightstand before I go to bed, like a little kid, or put it on the bathroom counter so I can gaze and critique it as I brush my teeth.
sparkart

Postby Rook » Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:21 am

I don't play with mine in the traditional sense but I do often rebuild a new set into an alt build or modify a set. Then I trash them for parts.
Yea, though I walk through the valley...
Rook

Postby Matthew » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:24 pm

I won't trash anything for parts. I like to keep my sets built. If I don't have any space and want to display new sets (don't have this problem yet) I will take a set a part and put the pieces in plastic bags and label them.
Matthew

Postby jnd2k3 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:13 am

Matthew wrote:I won't trash anything for parts. I like to keep my sets built. If I don't have any space and want to display new sets (don't have this problem yet) I will take a set a part and put the pieces in plastic bags and label them.

Same here.
jnd2k3

Postby dWhisper » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Yeah... give yourself a decade or two of collecting.

You'll part out some sets.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:30 pm

I've had a couple decades of collecting. I haven't parted out anything yet. Though I will say it sometimes makes for a very aggravating experience when I am trying to build something and have to find the pieces in the sets they are part of.
Mister Ed

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 am

It's even more aggravating when you raid sets that are on display and then want to return the pieces...

Stuff like a printed dish from an AT-AT leg is fairly easy to match up again, and conspicuous in its absence from the set on display. But those ten dark grey grille tiles that I had to collect from several places - which sets exactly did I take them from? Maybe I should start sticking "IOU" Post-its on any set where I remove a part.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby dWhisper » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:38 am

I usually do that when I rebuild them. During the alphabet contest, I raided several sets for parts, like my older X-Wings, and then neglected to put them back (or even remember which ones I took). I need to go rebuild them and figure it out (plus get closer to building a full Red Squad, since we have the majority of the pilots now).
dWhisper

Postby Inzane » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:31 am

For those raiding sets for parts, try this idea. Keep a labelled ziploc freezer or sandwich bag on hand, dedicated to that set. When you pull parts for the set, stick a piece of paper in that bag with note(s) on what you took. Even if you dismantle the rest of the set and put it in the bag, keep the note in there until you've returned or replaced the missing pieces, then toss the note.
Inzane

Postby naugem » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:16 pm

As others have mentioned, I mostly play with them by building new stuff. Some sets I like a lot out of the box and leave unmodified, others I modify slightly until I'm happy with them, and many others just go to the pile of bricks to create new MOCs.
After that they stay on display. Sometimes I'll pick one up and swoosh it a little, but not much other than that.
And I have also yet to return some parts to the UCS B-Wing from my L-Wing fighter...
naugem

Postby Mofo Jones » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:19 pm

Sometimes. Why else would I own the 10178 Motorized AT-AT, if not to terrorize cats and small children? And, I'll swoosh a new set around every so often. It's justifiable since my oldest will be 6 next month. I'll have to invent a new excuse in a few more years.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 am

The window where you can terrorize small children with 10178 is shockingly small. Speaking from personal experience, I think I only got to scare my daughter once with it (the cat, however, still hides when I get it down). At 19 months, anything Lego is just there to grab, and if it's motorized and walks, that means she's going to keep picking it up and putting stuff on top of it (likely putting herself on top of it at some point).
dWhisper

Postby Grant » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:35 pm

I'm just finishing up a Masters so I've still got roommates. The consequence being that I have nowhere to put the sets I buy. These days I build them and look at them for a few days and then put them in bags to rebuild when I have space to leave them out a bit longer.

When I get my own place I think I'll probably set up a big table in a side room and set up a city type display. I'm more into City than I am Star Wars so it's a viable option. I also love the Super Heroes stuff, which lends itself to City as well. The Batcave away in a corner somewhere on the outskirts of town and the Daily Bugle in the downtown centre.

We'll see how well this works out.
Grant

Postby buriedbybricks » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:44 pm

I pretty much exclusively play with my sets. If I buy multiples of a set, I build each one and end up playing with it all over again before they get parted out to build MOCs that I also play with.

I hate fragile builds and usually try to build things strong enough to play with. If it's LEGO in our house, it gets played with and that's been the case since I started buying it back in the 90's. I have always been keen on taking good care of my toys though.
buriedbybricks

Return to Star Wars