Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

DK Reveals Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

DK Reveals Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby Staff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:57 pm

dk_lswvd_book

Just in case you weren't planning on spending all of your money on the obligatory May the 4th sale for Star Wars stuff on Shop@Home (and as soon as we know what minifig will be robbing us of our purchase of $75 or more, we'll let you know), DK has announced on their Facebook Page that a new Visual Dictionary for Lego Star Wars will be coming out on the same day. It's obviously updated through the early 2014 sets we've been busy reviewing, given the prominence of the Falcon Mini and the Police Gunship on the front.

1925192_598857340205559_908275028_n

The big news is that they're including a "Retro" Luke Skywalker minifig to celebrate 15 years of Lego Star Wars, complete with a yellow head and hands. Not sure how I feel about that. Sure, it's a new Luke figure with an old head (and the printing is certainly the new styles)... but we've had fleshy figures longer than we've had yellow in Star Wars, so he'll be way out of place.

I will still be buying this, of course. You can go pre-order your copy on Amazon.com right now (just like I did)! Thanks to murphquake for the head's up on this.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/03/06/dk-reveals-lego-star-wars-the-visual-dictionary/
Staff

Re: DK Reveals Lego Star Wars: The Visual Dictionary

Postby dmetcalf » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Don't want to be Debbie Downer, but aren't several versions of this same book released each year?
This is one of those products that goes just completely over my head.
dmetcalf

Postby banthafodder » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:14 pm

There have been two that have come out so far related to Star Wars like this. The first was similar to this one where they cover sets and minifigs. It had two variations, one with Luke with solid black pupils and one with Luke having the white pupils. Later they released the character encyclopedia with Han Solo. Its been several years since the first book appeared and with the number of sets released its probably time for an update though I'm not terribly excited for the minifig.
banthafodder

Postby Joedward » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Will the figure be the same Chinese tat we get in most polybags, or will it be actual, decent LEGO quality?
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby sparkart » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Old Yeller? Tragedy. Do not want.
sparkart

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:31 pm

Dang. Seems like a missed opportunity for a truly new, exclusive minifigure.
The_Chosen_1

Postby MacDuff » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:44 pm

No sale for me. No interest in that figure.
MacDuff

Postby batsamd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:57 pm

I'll be getting the book but after seeing the retro Luke I'll definitely not be pre-ordering it, or buying it when first released, I'll wait for a good sale.

By the way, notice the Amazon pre-order price is $16.73, anybody know what MSRP is?

Definitely disappointed in the mini-fig, as mentioned earlier it's a wasted opportunity to get a Luke we may not otherwise have gotten, such as Luke in medical robes from end of Empire Stikes Back or Luke in black jumpsuit from RotJ but with the chest flap up, since it's down in the Ewok Village set.

Oh well, it'll still be a good book to get for high quality pics of the sets. Maybe those other Luke figs can come in the future update minifigs book from DK.
batsamd

Postby RfAurora » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:37 am

If removing the hands didn't crack the arms, I would probably get the book, and do a fleshy transplant.
RfAurora

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:54 am

Amazon and B&N Both show $21.99 as the list price
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby MyrmidonX » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:47 am

I see lots of these Lego books on sale. Even if the photography is excellent, I bet if they featured slightly rarer minifigs, they'd really fly off the shelves. Instead of Luke or Han again, why not Vader, Fett or an alien? Maybe an ewok, even! When they manage to do one of these books for the Marvel line, I hope the minifigure will be really special. ( Comic Thor! Daredevil! Nightcrawler! ) The list is endless. Or, if it has to be Spider-man, please let it be a Peter Parker version. Better yet, Spidey 2099 or the Stark armor Spidey.
MyrmidonX

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:57 am

We have had Vader in one of the books (The Lego Star Wars Minifigures book). I would much rather see Leia actually show up in one of the books, or Leia, or one of the other main characters that never gets any love.
dWhisper

Postby alldarker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 am

Definitely no sale. Brickset shows me I already own five(!) of this figure: I've been an OT completist since 1999. And DK is making me feel old by calling this a 'retro' figure!
alldarker

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:11 am

Vader never came in any book. There was a variant in the Empire Strikes Out DVD, but it was from the show, so not desirable for many. The SW Character Encyclopedia came with medal Ceremony Han.

As for A Marvel book, I hope they wait a couple more years to build up sets to actually fill a book (though they probably won't).

Either way, the two Spidey figures mentioned above are on the top of my wish list and one has even been in the Ultimate Spider-man cartoon... more then once! So, of course, they`ll never do it. :'(
buriedbybricks

Postby Inzane » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:15 am

Leia in her ceremonial hair and dress from the end of EpIV would've been the logical choice (to go with the theme already started with medal-Luke and medal-Han).

I'm baffled by their choice of minifig here.
Inzane

Postby gomek » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:21 am

I'm kind of happy about this, because I can't think of a single figure I want less than this one. I've been spending way too much on Lego lately and glad to get some relief.
gomek

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:57 am

I stand corrected, guess there have been too many of these stupid books for me to even keep track of which came in which one...
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:50 am

The only books I have any interest in are the character and set visual guides. I skipped the Batman one because I didn't feel there was anywhere near enough sets to justify a book. I look forward to this one as an update and would've passed the old one on to my son, but he just got his own through school.

If they hold off for just another year or two, a Marvel one would be quite welcome on my shelf.
buriedbybricks

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:07 pm

Inzane wrote:Leia in her ceremonial hair and dress from the end of EpIV would've been the logical choice (to go with the theme already started with medal-Luke and medal-Han).

....that minifigure already exists. It came with the most recent Y-Wing.
The_Chosen_1

Postby dWhisper » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:47 pm

I'd personally rather see the Cloud City Leia get a nice re-release. I never had a chance to get the original, and would love to get an updated version.

That really highlights the problem with this figure though. It's not as if its a re-issue, since the torso and legs are distinctly modern. The face for the figure is among the most common figure heads you can get from the yellow Star Wars days, appearing in a lot of small, inexpensive, and often underwhelming sets. More than that, people that would want this figure almost certainly own them. People that don't, or are more recent collectors, won't want a figure that doesn't match the rest of them.
dWhisper

Next

Return to Star Wars