Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

All of the clich- I mean "Heroes" of Star Wars Rebels

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

All of the clich- I mean "Heroes" of Star Wars Rebels

Postby Staff » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:14 pm

Normally I wouldn't make a joke about cliches in any Star Wars property, but when you put videos there with things like "Street-Smart Hero" and "Cowboy Jedi" you're just kind of asking for it. The idea of Rebels still has me pretty excited, but then I read the descriptions of the characters and I think that they're not even trying anymore. Anyway, we have the full main cast revealed now through more than action figure or minifigure names, so there is that.

As a series and behind-the-scenes look, these are actually pretty cool, showing the animation process and concept art that went into making all of these. I can't say if this makes me more or less excited to see it, but I am looking forward to both of the sets!

Hera, the Leader (voiced by Vanessa Marshall)

I actually like this video a whole lot more than I liked the Sabine one. Still a lot of cliche baked in, but she sounds like one of the most complete characters. Also very nice to see a Twi'lek that's not a slave or a Jedi finally.

Kanan, the Jedi-Cowboy (voiced by Freddy Prinze, Jr.)

Ezra, the Street-Smart 14-year-old kid that "Works Alone"

Chopper, the "Ugly" Astromech made out of spare parts

Zeb, the Muscle who I'm pretty sure is going to say "That's not a knife... this is a knife!" at some point

... I'll admit that this one is worth watching just to see some of the concept art for Chewie

Sabine, who we're already tearing apart in another thread.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/20/all-of-the-clich-i-mean-heroes-of-star-wars-rebels/
Staff

Re: All of the clich- I mean

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:26 pm

Goodness, you're right.
Far as I can tell every single one of those is a very large cliche.
My expectations of this show are dwindling....
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby hobbie » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:54 pm

Freddy Prinze, Jr. is so old now.
hobbie

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:59 pm

That's what bugs me about it Ultron. The idea of this actually isn't too bad, but their execution thus far has been shrinking my hopes every time I see more. You can make characters without making them standard tropes, and even make good ones. A cliche is not inherently bad, but they have to be in moderation or a way to accent the character, not the only defining things about them. That's all I see.

And yeah, I was kind of shocked to see him on there with that pepper-y hair. I was saddened to learn he's only three years older than I am, but it is cool that he's pretty much reinvented himself in the voice acting space.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:58 pm

You know what I find strange about all this? I don't hate any of it. I mean, you're not wrong about the cliches and all, but I'm kind of looking forward to this. I guess not having Anakin in it makes that much of a difference. That or I'm just not invested enough to get that upset by the bad bits.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:04 pm

I'm kind of hoping that the cliches end up just being bad marketing and setup, but there's more to the characters. Or it goes like Clone Wars and improves after the initial season as the characters grow into their own.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:24 pm

Also I'm reminded of that review of TPM where the guy made a huge deal about how none of the characters had memorable traits and you couldn't describe them without their name or role, and now this comes along and it's the opposite, like they don't even need names. Just kind of funny.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby gomek » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:46 am

I was really looking forward to this, but these trailers have kind of turned me off. I was hoping that the series was going to have a little edge and sense of real peril like the OT, but I get the feeling this will not be the case.
gomek

Postby RfAurora » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:00 am

I'm no going to pick apart the characters since everyone else is doing a good job at it. I'm going to pick at the animation from what we see in the videos. Hera isn't using her Lekku to express emotions, they just flop around under the effects of physics. I see a lot of expressive motion from everyone else, but its like they made Hera to be a human with glued on Lekku prosthetics.
RfAurora

Postby Solo » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:08 pm

So, like every other Twilek ever, or did they put more effort into that in the Clone Wars cartoon?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Blacknight » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:56 pm

Couple things annoy me personally about all this:

-It seems possibly a bit too kid friendly/preppy/feel good... like if you pause the Hera video at 1:24, that piece of art with all the dopey characters hanging off the ship sort of casually fighting off TIE Fighters reminds me of the old much lambasted Droids cartoon. I thought this period between Ep. 3 and 4 was supposed to be the "dark times" of a fascist empire... not sure you're really going to get that atmosphere or feeling from this show.

-The villain... looks lame, and is lame to have another Sith besides Darth Vader running around in this period wielding a double bladed red lightsaber. I could buy the extra Sith like Ventress in the Clone Wars era because Sidious was still settling on an apprentice... but now there is only supposed to be two red lightsaber wielders left in the galaxy, hence the "dying religion" remark.I get they didn't want to turn Vader into the fall guy of the week the way Grievous/Dooku sometimes were in the CW series. But wouldn't the faceless, scary, Big Brother might of an all-seeing Empire of a million people all trying to track you down and arrest you be more terrifying than any Sith personification?

-The fact that almost all the species and ship designs are being taken verbatim from Ralph McQuarrie concepts.... I mean really, are you that lacking in creativity and self-confidence that you have to rip off old concepts that were rejected by Lucas for a reason? Say what you will about Lucas when it comes to script writing and directing, but he had a good idea and a creative spark for visual design, something that seems to be lacking in the new Disney Star Wars group.
Blacknight

Postby Solo » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:10 am

Haha, dude, I agree on the first two bits but are you honestly going to try to claim they've ripped off anything after literally paying four billion dollars for it? I would never say it's not lazy of them, but people dig the concept art for a reason. And it wasn't "rejected" so much as refined for late seventies film-making technology. To me, it's a legitimate starting point for the design of a series based in that era, even though they've managed to end up so far from the inspiration.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:06 am

I love the idea of McQuarrie-inspired Star Wars. His concept paintings are so much cooler than anything that ended up in the final film.

Gotta agree about the cliches, though. The main kid isn't remotely interesting. The spray-painting Mando girl feels a desperate attempt to be edgy and hip. Even though it's after Order 66, we get MORE JEDI! Though this guy has a Kyle Katarn vibe to so, so I'll give him a chance. I get the feeling it'll be like Clone Wars to me. A few awesome things buried in a sea of mediocrity.

The one sliver of hope is that they have the freedom to do more interesting things than Clone Wars did. The universe changes a lot more between III and IV than it does between II and III, so there is potential there. Plus, new characters means they don't have to stick to what's been established in the PT.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Blacknight » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:52 pm

GIR3691 wrote:I love the idea of McQuarrie-inspired Star Wars. His concept paintings are so much cooler than anything that ended up in the final film.

Haha.... no. McQuarrie's derp faced snowtroopers, he-man stormtroopers, effeminate C3PO, hairy raptor tauntaun, b-17 Y-wing, cardboard box snowspeeder.and submarine shaped milennium falcon, to name but a few, are pretty dorky looking compared to the final versions we got in the film. He was very creative and made tons of interesting designs, but Lucas and others like Nilo Rodis-Jamero had the eye and the sense to refine them into better final versions.

It's just lame to see McQuarrie's bat-faced Chewbacca showing up as a "different species" in this series. That freaky abomination should stay in the concept art books where it belonged. We all know where it's orgiinally from so it will be difficult to suspend disbelief every time it shows up on the scene fulfilling the same role in the cast as Chewie.
Blacknight

Postby Solo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:10 pm

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how opinions work.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Return to Star Wars